1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
2/25/10 7:30 a.m.
mtn wrote: I've always wondered about the foam beds... How does um... playtime... go on them?

Lets just say no complaints.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/11 1:11 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Thanks for all the replies! We pulled the trigger & bought the Tempurpedic "Cloud". I won't be picking it up until Tuesday(we work an hour away - and in a different state - so they were going to charge for delivery). The good thing is we got free pillows, frame & cover in the deal, which adds up to ~$300+ list. Having the 3-local dealers within a block made shopping easy too. It wasn't cheap by any means, but my wife has joint & circulatory problems, and my back isn't great, so we really are looking at this as a long-term investment in our health & well-being. I'll report back in a few weeks with a review, too.

Bringing back a dead thread! Pete, what is the feedback at this point? It's been over a year...what do you think?

dyintorace
6/22/11 1:12 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I will never buy a 'real' 'mattress' ever again. About 6 years ago now we needed a new mattress and on the recommendation of my Father in law I just went to a foam shop and got a king size mattress cut from 6" foam, they had a range of firmness to choose from, we got the second hardest. No cover, no mattress store mark up nothing. I think it was about $250 and I've never slept on anything more comfortable any where ever. I will never be conned into buying a 'mattress' from a store again. It's just bare foam, no covering or anything, that's up to you, but that's what sheets are for. I built the bed to go with it too for another couple of hundred $$'s. Good quality 3/4" plywood box base with a large top with two hinged panels for lot's of storage underneath. The outer edges (about 2") of the top are doubled up (to 1.5") and rounded to a full bullnose and overlap the base by about 3-4" so you have some kick space. My only regret is I made the top about 2" bigger than the mattress, it seemed like a good idea at the time but is a bit of a PIA. Some piano hinges for the top panels and some varnish and you've got a really good bed for a weekends work.

Adrian - I'd be interested in learning more about this. Any suggestions on where to buy foam direct? Any pics of the bed you made?

integraguy
integraguy Dork
6/22/11 1:16 p.m.

Whichever bed you decide on, keep in mind that there are times of the year when mattresses are on sale EVERYWHERE. If I remember right, the "model year" changeover for mattresses is in February. So for best prices shop around, but for THE best price from whichever store has the one you decide on....wait until the model changeover.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/11 2:46 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

We have had ours for about 18 months. The only issue I have is that when I travel for work the hotel beds seem even more uncomfortable than they did before. It has been awesome.

dyintorace
6/22/11 3:14 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: In reply to dyintorace: We have had ours for about 18 months. The only issue I have is that when I travel for work the hotel beds seem even more uncomfortable than they did before. It has been awesome.

Had your what???

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/11 4:40 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Tempurpedic

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 1:14 p.m.

So, 8+ years later and our Tempurpedic has actually been uncomfortable for the last 2-years or more, but with our 3-year long move, we’ve just been suffering through. 

Finally last week we’d had enough pain, so I pulled the trigger on this Cool Gel mattress from Amazon for $400. The reviews were mixed on it(like all mattresses), but most seemed favorable. It was also the cheapest “medium-soft” mattress I could find - and I’ll be damned if I’ll ever spend almost $2k on a mattress again unless I know it’ll last for decades. 

Except the mattress wasn’t medium-soft. At all. It felt like lying on our carpeted floor. Seriously. I couldn’t even fall asleep on it last night & relocated to the couch. SWMBO came out about 12:30 and was upset to find I was already occupying it, so she suffered through the rest of the night in bed. 

So I talked to Amazon this morning to find out if their supposed return policy was truly viable, since I don’t readily have a way to re-compress the mattress, and I’m sure shipping a 100lb queen size mattress wouldn’t be cheap. They didn’t want it returned. They just simply refunded our money & said feel free to donate or give away this mattress. 

That’s some damn good customer service! Anyone need a mattress???

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
11/7/18 5:42 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I don’t readily have a way to re-compress the mattress, 

I bought a mattress based off a review from a respected person on a certain forum. Didn’t make it one full night on it just not supportive enough. Returned it for a full refund. I can tell you I never want to even try to re-compress any kind of mattress ever again!

I won’t buy a mattress ever again unless I can inspect and try it out in person first.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 6:22 p.m.

In reply to drainoil :

The problem I have with that is how much more expensive it is in-store vs. online. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dW3WCPHv0rjz3KxGPwEeLZyq0htcg7hc4W74D4kHQrEzbfLdeeNAC3exAOsrmvuL