lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/25/19 1:18 p.m.

Super interesting article in Jalopnik today on bee transportation, and bees. I keep bees, and didn't know alot that was in it. 

On another note, there needs to be more general information articles like this. I can't be the only one that is sick of making everything political, or biased, or paid for. just tell me cool stuff. 

https://jalopnik.com/that-big-rig-youre-passing-might-be-full-of-bees-1834383949

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/25/19 1:39 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

On another note, there needs to be more general information articles like this. I can't be the only one that is sick of making everything political, or biased, or paid for. just tell me cool stuff. 

It’s out there, you just have to work a little bit to find it.  Four days ago I learned about butterfly farms (via news that’s four years old), and today (unrelatedly/unexpectedly) read that ‘captive raised butterflies can’t migrate.

Also, last week I read bout Narlugas...

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/06/narluga-very-strange-hybrid-whale/592057/

there’s plenty out there, you just need to broaden your reading sites

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
6/26/19 10:45 a.m.

Cool articles, thanks for sharing.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/26/19 10:56 a.m.

I once wanted to be a migrant beekeeper. I finally sobered up.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/26/19 11:09 a.m.

I found an old article yesterday about the Titanoboa snake. Largest snake ever found, lived about 5 million years after the dinosaur. 

The fossils they found put it at 42' 9" long with a diameter around 3' and weighing more than 2,000lbs.  They believe at the time it was THE apex predator on planet hunting crocodiles and the like.

EDIT: I had heard of the bee problems and being transported before, but still a neat article.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/19 1:52 p.m.

I rode with my son who had a nucleus and 10,000 buzzers on the back seat, "Please don't crash!"

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
6/26/19 2:21 p.m.

I have transported boxes full of bees in a Cessna 404.  UPS would use it he company that I flew for to handle it he excess freight. Bees were packed 5000 per box if I recollect.   I always thought that they should be classified as hazmat. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
6/26/19 2:31 p.m.

It's become a more common thing since colony collapse disorder has become more wide spread. I think I became aware of it six or seven years ago when a bee transporter crashed.

I've become one of those people who decided not to fight nature since then. If I need to fertilize it, or water it beyond the transplant stage, it probably shouldn't be there. My yard is a mix of wild strawberries and mown down local grasses as a result. We get a lot of bees and butterflies in the front and eastern fields plus turtles and our cool ass fox family.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/26/19 4:11 p.m.

We all know how that worked out in Delaware.  I even had this as my avatar for a while:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQSMmbnYtuPUiTgK82Kz5HWi779UAQlffvKJZh8UZ0caZeQcixDb3cwx8DT4V9Rl