stroker
stroker HalfDork
1/13/12 9:33 p.m.

The local store had some beef ribs cheap (~$3/lb) and I had to buy them. The family's not wild about beef ribs (as compared to spare ribs, and they're not even very wild about them...) so I'm left to experiment. My buddy's coming over to watch the Packer game Sunday night so I'm going to do some ribs before he gets to the house.

The problem is that it's going to be too friggin' cold to do them outside so I'm looking for preparation suggestions for an electric oven. Simple rubs, cook all day, that sorta thing.

Ideas?

alex
alex SuperDork
1/13/12 9:41 p.m.

I think you answered your own question: simple rub, cook all day. Hard to go wrong with such a tasty cut. Let the meat speak for itself.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
1/13/12 10:25 p.m.

In reply to alex:

Yeah, but what rub? I normally use some stuff from the Pork Producers Association that is great, but I think it'll be too sweet for beef...

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
1/13/12 10:26 p.m.

stroker wrote:

My buddy's coming over to watch the Packer game Sunday night so I'm going to do some ribs before he gets to the house.

The problem is that it's going to be too friggin' cold to do them outside... Ideas?

</bloc

First suggesstion would be to grow a pair...

Fired the charcoal up tonight, with wind-chills a bit below zero, simply because I wanted steak with grilled taters and onions. If you're doing low-n-slow ribs, it's not like you need to be outside on a constant basis for six hours.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/13/12 10:32 p.m.

I always just use a combination of very good salt, fresh ground black pepper, and any decent garlic powder

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/12 10:58 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I always just use a combination of very good salt, fresh ground black pepper, and any decent garlic powder

That's usually what I do as well. Kosher salt, cracked pepper, garlic, and maybe some chili powder.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/14/12 12:08 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
Taiden wrote: I always just use a combination of very good salt, fresh ground black pepper, and any decent garlic powder
That's usually what I do as well. Kosher salt, cracked pepper, garlic, and maybe some chili powder.

Yep. Hard to go wrong with that. Throw in some cumin and smoked paprika if you're feeling really wacky.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/14/12 2:14 a.m.

I cooked NY strips outdoors tonight with a rub of cinnamon, red pepper, black pepper, and pickling salt. I use this basic rub on beeves, pigs and sheep. Sometimes I add a little instant coffee to it or some smashed garlic.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
1/14/12 8:21 a.m.

Do you guys marinate first, or just rub and cook?

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/14/12 8:29 a.m.

I do either or. Never both.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 9:26 a.m.

I rub it and let it warm up a bit before cooking.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/14/12 9:35 a.m.

^ What they said.

I'd rub it and let it hang out on the counter for an hour or two (you're safe up to two hours according to food safety rules, as long as it's going into the oven after the 2 hr. mark).

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
1/14/12 10:08 a.m.

Look up Alton Brown's rib recipe?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 1:00 p.m.

I bought some "montreal steak seasoning" that is pretty simple and not overpowering. I did that on a brisket that I smoked all day and it was delish.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/14/12 2:35 p.m.

My BBQ rub. This isn't particularly spicy just a whollop of flavor.

First off the rule. Don't go and buy chili powder. It won't work. Chili powder is a spice mix that contains cumin and other stuff that will mess this up. Go to the mexican/ethnic foods aisle of the grocery store and get real gound chilis. As a bonus they are super cheap!

1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Kosher salt

3 teaspoons ground California chili

3 teaspoons ground Pasilla chili

3 teaspoons ground New Mexico chili (hot or mild is your preference)

3 teaspoons dry mustard

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Mix that up. put it in an old parmesean shaker or whatever you can find and apply liberally to whatever you want. Pork chops? Oh yeah. Chicken? Oh hells yeah! Beef? Damn right! Sprinkle it on burgers. Heck, I would probably enjoy it on breakfast cereal.

Some variety for it? For pork ribs mix the rub with brown sugar and smoke them. Cooking in the oven and want some smokiness? replace some of the chilis with ground chipotle.

My personal favorite hot wing recipe

Spread that rub all over the wing pieces. Toss them on the grill and cook 'em though. When you make the sauce use butter, half franks redhot and half cholula hot sauce. When the wings are just about done brush them with the sauce on the grill so it thickens up and gets a bit sticky then plate them and pour the rest of the sauce over them.

I had to actually make some to remember the amounts so now I get to eat some too!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/14/12 2:39 p.m.

^^^ Appreciate it. May need to give this a try.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/14/12 3:45 p.m.

We may have to consider naming that the official GRM meat rub.

Mmmmm meat rub.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
1/15/12 9:26 p.m.

Fired up the grill and smoked 'em. Unfortunately they were pretty unimpressive. They lookedgreat, but just didn't have the right flavor. Think I'll stick with pork from now on...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/15/12 9:34 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

Printed for later use. . .

I prefer Smokehouse Maple on beef ribs (sweet and smoky). Apply rub, wait an hour and smoke over lump coal and wood chips @ 250*

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/15/12 10:02 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: I bought some "montreal steak seasoning" that is pretty simple and not overpowering. I did that on a brisket that I smoked all day and it was delish.

I live by this stuff.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/20/12 10:22 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Kosher salt 3 teaspoons ground California chili 3 teaspoons ground Pasilla chili 3 teaspoons ground New Mexico chili (hot or mild is your preference) 3 teaspoons dry mustard 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons onion powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Just bumping this back up because I have had about 20 requests for BBQ hot wings in the last month.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No one seems to be getting tired of them. I offer to do tamarind/lemongrass/chili wings or any other flavors but these are the ones that everyone wants.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/21/12 12:11 a.m.

Did pork ribs yesterday for dinner:

Rub in the morning, cook in the afternoon at 200 - 250 for a couple hours on a charcoal grill, none of that gas nonsense.

Rub:

Curry powder

Garlic powder

Cayenne pepper

Kosher salt

Brown sugar

Play with the amounts until it tastes right.

When they're done, brush both sides with honey, shut the air off to the grill, put the lid on and let it glaze for about 15 minutes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EqlgHFYbevyVxm5LeWE3Wv4sE5UhVRobSN4Au5nVoZmETWKOPguO2mds0Osn8nBR