1 2 3
bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
11/18/08 11:31 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: There is a reason Chicago had no #1 songs I think. Did Social Distortion ever have a #1?

From BMET:

"Chicago has written, recorded and performed some of the most popular and best loved songs in rock history. Among their many milestone accomplishments, Chicago is the only American rock band to chart Top 40 albums in five consecutive decades, and they have sold more than 122,000,000 records since forming in 1967. Chicago has scored 20 Top 10 hits, 5 Number One albums, 5 Number One singles and 5 Gold singles. In addition, the group has been honored with a Grammy, several American Music Awards, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a downtown Chicago street naming. "

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
11/18/08 11:33 a.m.

I was gonna say Barenaked Ladies. . .but One Week was a #1. . .

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
11/18/08 11:33 a.m.

Me thinks most of the best bands have never had a number one single, since the music industry doesn't have a clue what good music is.

byron12
byron12 New Reader
11/18/08 12:25 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Me thinks most of the best bands have never had a number one single, since the music industry doesn't have a clue what good music is.

I agree sometimes people with good taste get fed up buy something truly good to the top..

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
11/18/08 12:40 p.m.

some times you tired of listening to "under ground" stuff so hearing top 40 or number is a nice change. Lately I've been listening to alot of Sum 41. A good ban I am sure they have had acouple of number one's.

ejwoody
ejwoody New Reader
11/18/08 10:22 p.m.

the problem is that you are assuming that good music = popular music.

its somewhat dependant on which chart your going for but anything with a good hook, steady bassline that can be danced to and lasts right around 3min can blow the popchart up. of course you have to put a bunch of skanks in the videos but that goes without saying.

good music requires thought and skill, maybe even a gift. pop music is a formula. its sad when people who make good music start making pop music.

and :thumbup: for pepper

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
11/18/08 10:32 p.m.

Not a band but an individual..

TOM WAITS

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
11/18/08 11:27 p.m.

The Brian Setzer Orchstra (swing) great stuff. he was on the Simpons once too.

mtn
mtn Dork
11/18/08 11:52 p.m.

+1 for Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Country vote here: Asleep at the Wheel

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
11/19/08 12:12 a.m.

Did Deep Purple get a #1?

That_Renault_Guy
That_Renault_Guy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/19/08 6:16 a.m.

Surely Cheap Trick deserves a mention in this discussion?

EricM
EricM Reader
11/19/08 9:49 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: If there is a category for commercial success without a #1 hit, I would put Jimmy Buffet at the top of the list.

You took my answer.

EricM
EricM Reader
11/19/08 9:52 a.m.
That_Renault_Guy wrote: Surely Cheap Trick deserves a mention in this discussion?

I grew up in Rockford (IL), all the band members are very approachable.

Back in teh 80's My older brother dated Robin Zander's cousin.

B Carlos (the drummer) owned "Channels" the undergournd punk/alternative club for a while back in the day. Many a "School nights" waisted away...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SVedZnU5BRQO3dFaeCHFHuLM9wspqNv75Mvm4HEhvfYABXcnogBQt2jpXk34hr5e