Grtechguy SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 8:33 a.m.

So, my 17 year old set of jumper cables have called it quits. Doesn't any have a good idea what to look for in a replacement set?

1988RedT2 HalfDork
Jan. 17, 2011 8:48 a.m.

I have always found that the best jumper cables are the ones that you actually have with you in the vehicle when you need them.

iceracer Dork
Jan. 17, 2011 8:50 a.m.

The ones that have the largest cables and strong clamps.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
Jan. 17, 2011 9:07 a.m.

Local welding shop, buy the heaviest cable you can afford, should have cable ends on the shelf.

Kramer HalfDork
Jan. 17, 2011 9:48 a.m.

NAPA has some of the best. They're made overseas (like probably all others), but Balkamp, the importer for NAPA stays on top of the quality.

Spend some cash and get the good ones.

DILYSI Dave SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 9:59 a.m.

If the battery is a PITA to access, get a couple of cheap needle nose vicegrips for the jumper cable kit as well. Vice grip to terminal, then you have a big wrench to grab onto instead of a little terminal.

alex SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 10:16 a.m.

/goes out to buy two cheap needle nose vicegrips for his aggravating GM sidepost battery

Grtechguy SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 10:29 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: If the battery is a PITA to access, get a couple of cheap needle nose vicegrips for the jumper cable kit as well. Vice grip to terminal, then you have a big wrench to grab onto instead of a little terminal.

Thanks for the idea.

stuart in mn SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 10:48 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Local welding shop, buy the heaviest cable you can afford, should have cable ends on the shelf.

I have some jumpers made of welding cable, they're great plus they stay flexible in all temps. I have another cheapo set; at anything below 32 degrees F it's virtually impossible to uncoil them.

corytate New Reader
Jan. 17, 2011 1:04 p.m.

The biggest ones you can find lol
high amperage needs bigger wires so they don't pop

and damn thats a genius idea for sidepost batteries, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, those things are a pita

pilotbraden Reader
Jan. 17, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Get 2 sets. I have found that if you hook up one set and the dead machine still just clicks, hook up the second set as well and it usually cranks and fires off. That being said get the heaviest gauge wire .

Toyman01 SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 4:38 p.m.

Go to the auto parts store and buy the heaviest (by weight) set they have. My 20' set weighs about 20-25 pounds. I haven't found anything they won't start yet.

ReverendDexter SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 4:43 p.m.

+1 to spending more for heavier gauge. I've also found getting the longest cables you can makes life that little bit easier. Nothing's worse than having cables that are 6" to short. My preference is to have cables long enough to reach to a car parked behind you.

Travis_K Dork
Jan. 17, 2011 5:02 p.m.

$5 cables out of the bottom of a box of water damaged (and on sale) cables at napa auto parts.

chaparral Reader
Jan. 17, 2011 9:20 p.m.

Autozone "Duralast" 2-gauge are about $45. They're somewhere between the locomotive drive motor cables you guys are talking about and cables that'll be found wanting on a cold day.

internetautomart SuperDork
Jan. 17, 2011 10:07 p.m.

I got the thickest ones available. They weigh a ton and are 25ft long so I don't have to even park next to the I'm jumping.

curtis73 Dork
Jan. 18, 2011 7:59 a.m.

Mine are WalMart cheapies. They're really heavy (2 or 4 ga I think). and have great clamps on them. I think they're only 12' long, but that's long enough to be useful.

I won't say they're as flexible as welding cable, but they were plenty flexible last week when it was 25 degrees.

$48 IIRC

bravenrace SuperDork
Jan. 18, 2011 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

I have some really good ones. I have no idea what they are.

dean1484 Dork
Jan. 18, 2011 3:33 p.m.

The welding cable is by far the best. I actually had a plug installed in the grill of my old truck that allowed me to just plug the cable in with out opening the hood. I think tow trucks have these as well. (at least the one I used years back did and ti is where I got the idea for it)

Another answer is to get one of those jumper battery packs. The new ones work very well.

I have wanted on that would plug in to the vehicle electrical system (say in an outlet in the back of my expedition) and charge / maintain the charge only when the vehicle was running. Thus I would in effect have another battery on standby as well as the ability to jump other cars and not be limited by cable length. This would be nice for those times my lawn tractor decides not start and it is on the back part of my property where I can not get my truck to.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Will We See You This Weekend?

16 hours ago in News

We're traveling a lot this weekend. Will we see you along the way?

Who Built the Best Car With $2014?

2 days ago in News

Click here for a review and full results for the Grassroots Motorsports $2014 Challenge.

Buy One, Get One Free

2 days ago in News

Give your friend a subscription and we'll give you one for free for being such a good buddy.

Win Some CRC Goodies

1 week ago in News

We're picking our favorite 30 entries to the Show Us Your Shop Contest so far and sending them some prizes.

Pay It Forward

1 week ago in Articles

Passing your street survival knowledge on to the next generation pays dividends.

Pirelli World Challenge Announces 2015 Schedule

1 week ago in News

Next year's schedule includes events across North America at some of the nations's most challenging courses.

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Redline

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

While Dodge's muscle car revival has not gone without its fair share of criticism, the Challenger Redline gives us a ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More