1 2
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/24/19 5:08 p.m.

Our HP laptop that we use at home for the family has taken a dump. Just a few years after another Windows laptop took a dump.

I'm done with Windows. I'm typing this from a 2010 MacBook Pro that I bought from a friend that has never had an issue. Plus we both have iphones and it really is probably easier all around to keep it all apple.

So... I realized that we don't need a laptop at home and am looking at getting a good desktop. We don't need much for home. We just run Office stuff and websites for schoolwork for the kiddos. That's about it. I'm finding 2011 imac 21.5" and 27" computers for around $300 on craigslist. 

But I'm not super computer savvy and was hoping I might get the rundown on what are good values out there for up to about $400. What should I look for, avoid...   Is getting one from 2010-2011 with the latest OS (Mojave) a good idea or is running the latest software on an older system asking for trouble?

Is it worth getting one with 8g of ram worth it or is 4 enough? should I spend more for an i5 processor over an i3?  

and it sure seems like the imac is a better value over a macbook, but maybe i'm missing something?  Thanks!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/24/19 5:17 p.m.

One of the issues with old Macs is they do not ALLOW you to run recent OS's.  I think there is a website that lists the models and a breakdown of what they can support, but I don't remember what it is anymore.

Found it (also a Mac upgrade company): https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

I am sure someone else will have more specifics for you.

The easy (cheap) button is of course a Chrome book (you can run a monitor off one).  The Office files will open up in Chromes applications.  You will of course be sharing all you info with Google, but I suspect you already do that to some extent (or another company)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/19 5:51 p.m.

Desktops are always better value than laptops (Mac OR PC), but harder to use when you're lounging on the couch :)

It's easy to upgrade RAM, basically impossible to upgrade a CPU. So get yourself a good processor and buy more RAM for it.

I don't know the desktops as well as the laptops, but my 2012 Macbook has no trouble with the current OS. My work computer is an iMac from 2014 - again, no problem. It's the pre-Intel Macs you need to watch for.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/24/19 6:20 p.m.

Running a new OS on old hardware is generally frustrating, on both Macs and PCs.  Check compatibility with the OS you need to run, then buy the newest machine that fits your budget.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
9/24/19 6:55 p.m.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/24/19 10:24 p.m.

We run older iMacs for our business. Just bump the ram and install an ssd. I really like the kits on macsales.com  refurb is also a good bet with Mac, if it doesn’t come perfect, you get a new replacement. 

Foxworx
Foxworx Reader
9/25/19 7:11 a.m.

Given the choice I would favor more memory over newer model (within reason of course) when it comes to Macs. 

8GB is not excessive my any means.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/25/19 7:52 a.m.

Mac or PC, I'll never own a computer without an SSD (solid state) as its primary (boot) drive.  I'm not a Mac guy, so I can't tell you how to do it, but I'm sure if you're slumming it with a $400 computer, it'll have a traditional spinning hard drive.. Spend the money to updated that.

I'd choose SSD over RAM, Processor, etc..  a lot of modern tablet PCs are only shipping with like 2 Gb of RAM because the new SSDs are far enough to act as memory!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/25/19 7:53 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Desktops are always better value than laptops (Mac OR PC)

This.  Your (OP) experience with Windows is unfortunately E36 M3ty laptops.  This is the equivalent of buying a Miata that has been rebuilt with all cheapo ebay parts and then saying "I'm done with Miatas".  E36 M3ty hardware is E36 M3ty.  Macs do control their hardware, which is good, so you do solve that problem.

If you just want Office + Surfing, is chromebook an option?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/19 7:57 a.m.

If you just want better reliability, there are better and cheaper solutions than getting a Mac. Macs tend to have good hardware quality...if you want good hardware quality, buy a Lenovo computer. If you're having software problems (these days, typically meaning malware) and the hardware of the HP laptop is still good, then install Linux - I recommend Mint w/ MATE desktop these days.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/19 8:31 a.m.

I'd just get the Big Mac and call it a day.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/25/19 8:54 a.m.

For those prices, I agree. 

I have a 2012 iMac running the most up to date OS.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/19 9:19 a.m.

What you want is the Mac Mini. Used or refurbished, they are under $300, giving you plenty of budget left for a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse. I used them to run video walls at tradeshows, presentations at conferences, lobby monitors at office parks, you name it. All the power of a Mac in a tiny package that can go anywhere. Using a wireless keyboard and mouse means that you can use your TV and sit on the couch to browse the web or do work.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/25/19 9:58 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

What you want is the Mac Mini. Used or refurbished, they are under $300, giving you plenty of budget left for a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse. I used them to run video walls at tradeshows, presentations at conferences, lobby monitors at office parks, you name it. All the power of a Mac in a tiny package that can go anywhere. Using a wireless keyboard and mouse means that you can use your TV and sit on the couch to browse the web or do work.

That is what i was thinking. I have two Mac Minis. Looks like the 2014 model was the last year you could actually upgrade it. Our family computer is a 2012 Mac Mini that is maxed out of RAM, but will get a SSD this year to keep it going.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
9/25/19 11:15 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

It's easy to upgrade RAM, basically impossible to upgrade a CPU. So get yourself a good processor and buy more RAM for it.

Apple has taken to soldering in the memory, so the newer systems are not upgradable.  I wouldn't get a Mac with less than 8G.  My 4G MacBook got slower with each successive OS.  The resale value on newer MacBooks is insane.  You might consider getting a new MacBook Air if a 13" screen is big enough although it's a bunch more money.  (you can plug in an external monitor)  Having a teacher or student in the family gets you better pricing.

Like @gameboy mentions below, Linux is much less $$ (plus reliable and secure)  but takes you out of AppleLand.

Keith Tanner
9/25/19 11:49 a.m.

For the era being discussed by the OP, you can still upgrade RAM. My 2012 MBP was the last of that line for the laptops, I believe. My 2014 iMac desktop can also be upgraded. 

I use Unix systems at work and spend a certain amount of time on the command line on my Macs. When someone describes themselves as “not computer savvy”, Linux may not be the right suggestion. The Mac Mini, though - that’s a good one. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/25/19 1:45 p.m.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a Linux but I really just want simplicity and the seamless interfacing between Apple products is pretty appealing.  

i looked into the Mac mini but the pricing seems to be about the same or even a little more as a iMac but I’d need to also get the monitor, keyboard, mouse. 

I have decided to narrow it to units with a ssd based on the feedback here. 

Can anyone enlighten me as to how much it would cost to get office (word and excel in particular)?  I haven’t bought software for apple.  It was about $60 on Black Friday for the Pc. It looks like it’s about $120. I’ve seen a lot of references to getting it for free but suspect that’s not legit. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
9/25/19 2:02 p.m.

I second the mac mini recommendation.  I'm using a late 2012 model and it's still just fine, even for editing music and video.  They're pretty upgradable for a mac also.  Get one with the best processor you can, then just upgrade the RAM yourself, it's cheap and easy.  There's kits to add a second hard drive and to switch to a SDD, which I would definitely recommend.  I just picked up a cheap laptop with a SDD and it's night and day.  When I push the power button my computer is fully on literally 4 seconds later.  

Keith Tanner
9/25/19 3:08 p.m.

You can get Libre Office for free, it’s an open-source version that’s pretty good. Macs also come with a baked-in word processor and spreadsheet but I’ve never used them enough to say how good they are. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/19 3:25 p.m.

Yeah LibreOffice is all I use at home.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/27/19 11:32 a.m.

using the information here, i looked around at different options, refined my parameters and bought an imac last night.

it was $320 usd (I'm in vancouver right now and it seemed to help make it a little bit better [$.75 usd to $1 cnd]) from craigslist. he was asking $480 and I got it down to $425 cnd

late 2012, in like new, mint condition
Running latest macOS Mojave
Quad Core 2.7ghz processor
16gb ram
250gb High Speed Flash SSD Storage

wireless small keyboard and mouse.

seemed like a pretty good deal.... thoughts?   

Keith Tanner
9/27/19 11:39 a.m.

I think you'll be pretty happy with that. Plug in an external drive if you need more storage space, they're cheap. Also, Time Machine is the built-in backup system and it's really easy to use.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
9/27/19 11:57 a.m.

awesome. Thank for your help, Keith. Much appreciated.  I believe I bought an extra ms office download on black friday a few years ago. If i can find it, i'll see if i can use it for this. If not, I'll give that Libre Office a shot.

And I will look at Time Machine. I'm going to be learning about a lot of mac stuff no doubt.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/27/19 1:55 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

You bought a Canadian model?

Now all your letter Zees will be printed as Zeds.

Everything you print might come out with a second copy in French.

devil

Keith Tanner
9/27/19 2:13 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Everything you print might come out with a second copy in French.

It's funny because it's true, eh?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ouerF9vbSIJRrIain8MGrWc9DDtjs9FOUsQB1l0JkL0S9YxwMErWOEvlUaS9j0fU