1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
8/16/15 11:33 a.m.

So along the side of my porch (poured concrete, btw) I have some lilies planted, and every year there's an annoying vine that goes within them, that attempts to take over my porch. It's REALLY hard to pull out of the ground and get the entire root. Most of the time if you get any root at all it's broken in half. This year was especially bad, since I was so busy I didn't really get a chance to maintain it. Any way to kill it without killing the lilies around it, so should I just nuke the whole area and start over?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/16/15 11:38 a.m.

Get some Roundup Poison Ivy. Spray a little on the leaves of the vine, being careful not to get it on anything else. In a week or so, it will be gone.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
8/16/15 11:41 a.m.

I just pulled out as much as I could, and cut down what I couldn't. Would that method also work if I just sprayed the roots/stumps? I'd like to get rid of this E36 M3 for good, not just for the season.

BTW, it might be trumpet vine. The leaves look very similar, but I've never seen it flower. Maybe because I try to kill it every year.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/16/15 12:10 p.m.

The stuff is supposed to work if it is on the stem also, but I think it is best if on the leaf. It gets absorbed and transported to the root, where it takes out an enzyme that the plant needs to live. I keep a bottle of it loaded up for poison ivy, which I have about 10 acres of. Don't get it on anything you don't want dead.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/16/15 3:30 p.m.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/15 5:29 p.m.

Napalm works but keep away from children, it gets sticky.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/16/15 6:36 p.m.

I was going to suggest a goat … but it sounds like you want to keep the lilies

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
8/16/15 7:06 p.m.

Brush B Gone works pissa.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/17/15 8:32 a.m.

Along the same lines: what in the hell will kill mimosa trees? Those things are TENACIOUS to say the least. I got rid of a big one only by tearing up a shrub line, then using the Trooper to yank the roots out. I'd prefer not to have to do that again anytime soon.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 8:37 a.m.

I've always had good results mixing a little 2,4-D and Roundup (glyphosate). Be careful with the 2,4-D. Don't use it when it's hot outside. It creeps.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/17/15 8:40 a.m.

Vinegar works great for killing just about anything.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/17/15 8:48 a.m.

Second vinegar, and also bleach. Glyphosate is killing the earth, try to stay away from it.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/17/15 10:36 a.m.

I have used vinegar with some success before as well, and one application won't do the job so if you overspray once you wont destroy your lilies. Trumpet creeper/trumpet vine is aggressive and in some places invasive and the poison ivy product may not be effective.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/17/15 10:51 a.m.

One I just heard of- pickle juice. Basically, vinegar + salt.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/15 12:12 p.m.

Try tarping it. Might be tough since its near the porch, but tarping works because the plant exhausts its energy stores growing before it reaches light. Kinda like when you plant a seed too deep.

Glyphosate is not typically effective on Korms, vines, and other shiny-leaved things, but its worth a shot. (yes, glyphosate is evil, but not in this application. It does not poison the ground or run off into streams, especially when you spray a tablespoon of it on a plant. Its a lot better than salt which will prevent anything from growing there a long time)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 12:22 p.m.

Why is glyphosate evil and killing the world?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/17/15 12:39 p.m.

Because it's evil and killing the world

In a recent study it was detectable in 75% of all air and water samples in a farming area. It's linked to health issue. The prime issue is almost certainly not home use, it's the massive use in farming (which is getting worse since immunities are being created)

As with most things, if you use them properly and reasonable, it's likely not much of an issue.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/31/us-glyphosate-pollution-idUSTRE77U61720110831

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
8/17/15 12:42 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: One I just heard of- pickle juice. Basically, vinegar + salt.

If that works it is a genius way to get rid of pickle juice once the jar is empty

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/17/15 1:37 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Why is glyphosate evil and killing the world?

Awareness of the problem is the first step on the way to a solution. Good on you for asking the question.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/17/15 1:58 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: One I just heard of- pickle juice. Basically, vinegar + salt.
If that works it is a genius way to get rid of pickle juice once the jar is empty

The other way is a dirty/sour martini

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 2:38 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: Why is glyphosate evil and killing the world?
Awareness of the problem is the first step on the way to a solution. Good on you for asking the question.

I didn't know if it was just a hardon for Monsanto, because I could understand that. I've always thought of glyphosate as being rather non-toxic, at least from an cute standpoint.

Just to show you what an idiot I am, around 1977 (and fresh out of college) I made the prediction that Roundup would never be a success.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/17/15 2:41 p.m.

The original Triox, but you can't buy it anymore.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
8/17/15 3:29 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Along the same lines: what in the hell will kill mimosa trees? Those things are TENACIOUS to say the least. I got rid of a big one only by tearing up a shrub line, then using the Trooper to yank the roots out. I'd prefer not to have to do that again anytime soon.

Best bet for mimosas and privet bushes: Cut off at ground level. Paint the cut stump with undiluted round-up concentrate. Be careful not to get it directly on the earth because it is concentrated evil and will kill it.

Privet is the only thing more abuse proof than mimosas and airplane black boxes. this method actually doesn't kill the privet, but ti stunts it severely and you can usually keep it under control thereafter. Privet is the honeybadger of the invasive shrub world.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/17/15 4:10 p.m.

Yea I'm not sure you can kill privet.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/15 4:48 p.m.

Oy... you guys have never tried to kill Falopia japonica. It is really persistent stuff. Its kinda like in Gremlins when that one jumps in the water fountain. Suddenly a fog appears with strobes and light effects and full-grown plants go shooting out in every direction infecting thousands of acres with its life-choking reign of terror.

Ok, maybe exaggerated a bit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LkJP2ar65mfkMFV8RBoTRckcLs8p7hKB6hj9P5Shule8hB6nHz2zFIJ4pIOUXimE