Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/20 9:52 p.m.

So the wife and I have used the blind corner cabinet for our pots and pans for over a decade now.  It's now being leveraged for pots, pans, lids, cutting boards and various sauces and large seasonings.

it has never worked well and it's annoyed us to no end.  Now that it's being used for more than just pots and pans it is much worse.

So I've looked into various blind corner solutions and some seem ok and some are pretty hokey.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions they've used?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/2/20 9:54 p.m.

My dad had the spinning two level corner lazy Susan type but crap would fall over and jamb it up.  I've never seen a good solution.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/2/20 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Lazy susan sucks for pots and pans, but they work pretty well for jars/spices/oil/etc.  The problem is the are usually mega overkill for such things.

I had the pot/pan problem.  Then I threw them all out except for 1 pan (cast iron 12") and 1 medium sized pot.  Problem solved :)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/2/20 10:57 p.m.

I've seen them where it's a blind corner, but both doors pull out at a 45* angle relative to the doors themselves, and it's a double shelf. Not the most efficient, but super cool. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/2/20 11:30 p.m.

Ours is it's own cabinet accessible from the back side.

What about something like this?... But perhaps more 'grassroots'.

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/pdx/rev-a-shelf-blind-corner-cabinet-organizer-rsef1976.html

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
9/3/20 5:51 a.m.

My wife works for a company called Rev-A-Shelf that specializes in this type of thing.  The prices are up there but they do offer lifetime, no questions asked warranty on parts.

https://rev-a-shelf.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=41&q=Optimizer

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
9/3/20 10:35 a.m.
bigbrainonbrad said:

My wife works for a company called Rev-A-Shelf that specializes in this type of thing.  The prices are up there but they do offer lifetime, no questions asked warranty on parts.

https://rev-a-shelf.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=41&q=Optimizer

We have some of their products in the other cabinets and they work well in turning them into ersatz pantries.

I'll take a look and see if it will work for the spousal unit.

Thanks!

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
9/3/20 10:38 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Lazy susan sucks for pots and pans, but they work pretty well for jars/spices/oil/etc.  The problem is the are usually mega overkill for such things.

I had the pot/pan problem.  Then I threw them all out except for 1 pan (cast iron 12") and 1 medium sized pot.  Problem solved :)

Yeah, I've been trying keep things under control but we had family visit from overseas and had to setup a "dirty" kitchen in the garage since everything was fried everyday.  Since they've left many of the bottles of sauce, etc were jammed back into the kitchen and until they are used don't have any place else to go.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/20 10:40 a.m.

I have lots of rev a shelf stuff saved up for my kitchen build that will happen someday, including the half round shaped pull outs because one blind corner is unavoidable with my layout.  I've been using their stuff professionally for 20 years and it's top notch

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/20 10:43 a.m.

I don't know if they can be retrofit, but we have 2 blind corners and somewhat limited cabinet space in our cooking area.  Ours were called "Swiss Army cabinets" but I don't know the real name.

They function like this - inside each door are 2 shelves that can be pulled out, straight toward you.  They're about the size of the drawers you'd expect if it was a normal base cabinet.  However, that whole 2-drawer unit can also be pulled out and then swung to the side like the door, on a sort of cantilevered hinge.

Doing that gives access to 2 large pantry-style shelves that can then be pulled individually from the blind corner into the void left by swinging out the smaller shelf unit.

It sounds more complicated than it is, and it works better than it sounds.  You wouldn't want to put anything back there that you use daily, but it's great for casseroles, waffle irons, etc. that get used less frequently.

[edit]  Kraftmaid blind corner cabinet

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/20 10:53 a.m.

A standard lazy susan won't work for your application- they require 12" in each direction on the front faces (36" at the back). You've only got the required space on the right side. 

But a half moon unit like this would work:

That's a rev-a-shelf unit. They can be bought at the big box stores, and retrofitted into existing cabinets. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/20 11:32 a.m.

My parents have the best solution to this that I have seen. I don't know what it is actually called, but it is a door-on-a-door with articulating hinges. So door #1 is hinged to the cabinet; door #2 is hinged to door #1.

Pictures taken about 5 minutes ago... Top cabinet: 

Bottom cabinet: 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/3/20 11:37 a.m.

Oh, that lazy Suzan that they have is also the best one I've encountered, but I think that is more to do with the fact that it isn't overloaded.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0jnMj1SzjnU3clsyv3NDYvuOksXSYHIPef9WAywkrLqFVueqd5a95vRl50wOczqX