93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/14/19 12:33 p.m.

Be on the lookout - Ikea is clearancing out their solid oak countertops.  Local store had a whole grip of them for $60/ea and may deal on them if you talk to a manager and buy in bulk. 

These are solid oak butcherblock style with a nice light finish and standard cabinet width and size so they make excellent workbenches and toolbox toppers.  They have a 6ish foot version and an 8 foot version both approx 24 deep.  

I already got mine....

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
10/14/19 1:22 p.m.

It seems all the solid wood countertops are going away at Ikea. I am getting a kitchen rennovated and wanted solid wood. Staff told me they had none left and all solid wood was limited to what was already in the pipeline. My store was completely out they even got rid of the samples.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/14/19 1:42 p.m.
drsmooth said:

It seems all the solid wood countertops are going away at Ikea. I am getting a kitchen rennovated and wanted solid wood. Staff told me they had none left and all solid wood was limited to what was already in the pipeline. My store was completely out they even got rid of the samples.

That seems like it would look amazing at first, but not age well?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/14/19 2:01 p.m.

Dang! Yeah, I put some in my old house when I was getting it ready to sell. I would never want to live with them (wet stuff plus wood? NO.) but they looked amazing.

If you want something similar, you can get butcherblock for reasonable prices at Lumber Liquidators. I used some to do a long bar at my current house, was about $200 for maple and with three coats of spar urethane has held up well. Still wouldn't use it for my kitchen counter, though!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/14/19 2:38 p.m.

We are using this one for a dry bar/buffet so no worries on water or damage from cutting stuff or hot stuff like tradtional prep surfaces.  Seem to see a ton of them used in laundry rooms and general storage rooms which Ikea seams to love to demo in their stores.  Probably wouldnt want one for a heavy use prep area.

With what Snappy and others get for butcherblock toolbox toppers a guy could be pretty happy....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/19 2:40 p.m.

I have one of the long ones as my computer desk, I have been thinking about picking up another one to do a bar/island for the kitchen. Did they have them in the last chance/open box area or do you have to ask about them?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/19 2:41 p.m.

We had that butcherblock from Ikea in our old house for about 6 years before we moved.

Loved it!  Twice a year you clean off the countertops and wipe them down with some oils.  Stuff soaks in and you apply it again.

Stains and water have no effect after you seal them like that.

Loved them.  Want them in my current kitchen....

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/14/19 2:46 p.m.
EvanB said:

I have one of the long ones as my computer desk, I have been thinking about picking up another one to do a bar/island for the kitchen. Did they have them in the last chance/open box area or do you have to ask about them?

They had them in on the standard sales floor a week ago - just like any other item just aggressively marked down

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
10/14/19 3:15 p.m.

I had them in the past and never had any issues with them over time, I sealed them before use and every year or two, and always used a cutting board when prepping food.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJ4jaRXIkBIHYJ3io4uGKuSr45QK07djQ9G2tGnQDbOcvCaDl8aoYnw2AFtBr14Y