1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 83
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/20 11:23 a.m.

Not that phone books are common these days, but I like to test mushroom with big, fat phone books.  Fire a few different styles of projectile into a phone book, then you can open the book to retrieve the ball.

I did that with my 30-06 when I bought it because I knew I would be hunting deer with it.  I had previously used a .32 Win model 94 which usually went in about 8" and turned into a quarter-sized mushroom.  With a 30-06, I knew it would likely be a straight-through, so I tested with phone books and varying points and jackets to get what I wanted.

Using different projectiles also gives you a way to test accuracy.  Smaller, pointier, lighter usually means straighter and faster, but can also be more affected by environmental factors such as humidity and wind.

I tested four in the -06 and found a good middle ground for my style of PA woods hunting.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/17/20 12:03 p.m.

Get and learn to use a GI WEB or M1907 shooting sling.  Not a carry strap from Walmart.   Prone or sitting with a sling is, with practice, close to proper benchrest sandbags in stability, and better than a lot of the improvised rests shooters come up with. Add a bag under your forward arm, and it's really good.  Oh, and you can use it go carry your rifle, too.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/20 7:13 p.m.

I use three pool 12' noodle sections taped together for a rest. 

You can laugh, but it works. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/18/20 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

I did just that today. Happened to have a few pool noodles kicking around and one of them made the ultimate sacrifice. 

Anyway, after practicing trigger control and breathing a bit, I decided to use the other half of the box I started the other day. 

Much better grouping. Ignore the smaller holes, and the ones numbered in blue. This is the same box just with a new target taped on. And I took the .22 out but gave up after one tube because it is so dirty it won't cycle. 5mph breezes too, but at 100y the .308 didn't seem to care. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/18/20 11:04 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Looks like a zero adjustment and you would have a fairly round group mostly in the 7 ring.  Pretty good progress, so far.

Semantics: a flash suppressor (flash "hider") is different than a suppressor (real name of a silencer).  Suppressors and compensators both reduce recoil, but flash hiders really don't. It sounds like you have a regular birdcage flash hider, by your description. Their can be reasons to clock a little bit too far for full auto, but semi and birdcage don't really matter a whole lot for that.  There is a crush washer that you can replace if it bothers you.  It is a one use item like on a spark plug.

The handguards are just held in by the springs of the delta ring, so their will be wiggle.  Freefloat is nice, but be advised that you will most likely need to replace the barrel nut (holding the barrel on) and this means an inexpensive tool and some way to hold things in a vice.  You will need to pull off the front sight/gas-block, which means you will need to pull of the flash hider, which means you can fix the clocking of the flash hider (or replace it) then.

I have not tried the $120 PSA triggers yet, but I will.  AR-10 and AR-15 will use the same aftermarket triggers. Don't forget your GI web sling.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/18/20 11:14 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Fairly sure your advice on breathing and trigger control were the only differences from last time and made for a much tighter group. Thank you. 
re GI sling, yes. I need two actually, as the sling on my marlin has no loop and is stretchy. Good for throwing over my shoulder and jumping on a bike, but not much else. That'll be purchase number one when I get around to it. 

9/18/20 11:29 p.m.

The appleseedinfo website often has good deals on slings. You want the 1 1/4 width. The marlin may need new sling swivels. Googlefu often finds some really good deals, as long as you realize buying from two different places often means getting hit for shipping (or free with $ purchase) twice. A good excuse to buy more cool stuff is often not a budget saver.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/20 12:18 a.m.
barefootskater said:

It has slots on the top and sides, not on the bottom, 

That's to let the gas exit out of the top, so that when you're in the prone position, you don't kick up a big cloud of dust and give away your position. Useful if you're in a combat zone, not so much if you're shooting for fun or hunting game. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/19/20 12:38 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) :

Makes sense. Not to be a whimp, but I'd probably prefer the kind designed to reduce recoil. I'll have to look into it. I don't really care about the collapsible stock either, but it helps with storage I guess. 
A bit like a car that comes with ac and power windows, and I'd prefer a manual with no extra frills. 

For now it's better to practice and learn to be a better driver than to worry about making the car faster. So to speak. 

9/19/20 8:58 a.m.

I would do a nicer stock, or just a recoil pad before the compensator. A compensator takes a lot of the noise from the front and throws it to the rear. Shoulder comfort goes up, ear comfort gors down, especially for anyone next to you. Many ranges do not allow compensators on the regular benched areas for this reason.

The collapsible stock makes it easy to adjust for jacket thickness, which can be handy when hunting.

It may be time to start working on real shooting positions so you can sling in. Properly done, the sling spreads the load over a wider area and helps with perceived recoil.

9/19/20 9:04 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

not so much if you're shooting for fun or hunting game. 

There's no place like prone. There's no place like prone.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/19/20 1:23 p.m.

My "Budget Beowulf" is still just a parts pile, I haven't assembled it yet, so other than owning this stock, I haven't actually used it to give you any first hand experience yet.  However, when I was parts shopping for it, I did a bunch of research trying to find a stock with a thick, shock adsorbing butt pad, that wasn't $100 and wound up buying one of Adaptive Tactical's stocks.  It's not the prettiest thing, but seems well built for a $30 stock. 

Edit, just looked at the spreadsheet I made for keep track of Beowulf parts, I bought from Joe Bob, but I paid $38.95 when I bought it, so it's an even better deal now.  Also that was ~3 years ago, so you may find a better option out there now.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/19/20 4:46 p.m.

99% sure PSA uses Mil-spec buffer tubes, couldn't confirm on the product page for a complete AR-10 rifle, but on the product page for complete AR-10 lower receivers they state, "Mil-spec Diameter PA15 6-Position Receiver Extension."  So, any Mil-spec stock including that Adaptive Tactical, should fit.

There is such a thing as a commercial buffer tube, which is a different size than a Mil-spec buffer tube, but I don't think you're going to find one on any of PSA's products.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/21/20 11:39 a.m.

I have had really good luck with muzzle devices for reduced felt recoil, Strike Industries has a few good ones that arent expensive.  YouTube has several "shoot outs" (pun intended) with fairly scientific tests to help you pick one.

In regards to a steady shot from weird positions like hunting or uneven terrain or shooting behind you in a tree stand or even a rushed shot standing (we shoot a lot of deer in Alabama just walking to the stand, and I understand the ethics of rushed shots and I wont shoot if I dont think I will kill it with one shot) but if you get on your sights or scope and move steady from right to left, top to bottom, whatever works for you, you can break the trigger as the sights align with the target.  If you try to hold still in an unsteady position you wiggle, if you control the movement by going side to side you just shoot as the target lines up.  Hope that makes sense.  It's good to practice in uncomfortable positions and unsupported if you plan to hunt or use it for self defense.  I like my MFT Minimalist stock, it's beveled where it hits your shoulder and is way more comfortable.  And lastly, try some different ammo, that Winchester wont group any better that your last trip for me in my hunting rifle even on a serious rest with a 3 pound trigger and $400 scope.  The twist of your barrel will work best with a certain bullet weight and even then brand A may not work as well as brand B

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/21/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Honestly, I'm not the steadiest hand in the west. I know ammo makes a difference, but I really feel that my biggest holdback right now is me, not the equipment. 
That technique sounds like what I do with skeet. Fairly easy to anticipate where the pigeon is going to be. Easier than trying to track it down the sights with a 28" o/u and my short arms. Sounds like something worth learning well when/if I get to the point of tactical training. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/22/20 11:02 a.m.

You seem to be willing to listen and learn so I thought I would mention something that helped me tremendously that nobody has said yet.  I cant hold still for E36 M3 so being able to sweep from side to side and break the trigger as the milk jug size spot of a whitetail comes into alignment has put many pounds of ultralean, "free range", non GMO, hormone free, grade A prime venison in my freezer.

And because car forum:

9/22/20 11:40 a.m.

Most people have a hard time holding still because they do not know how to use the Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA).  You don't move the rifle until it is pointed at what you want to hit.  You let the rifle settle and move your whole body until the rifle is pointed at what you want to hit.  Every time you shoot, you drift a little towards that natural resting place.  If that natural resting place is off-target, you will drift off-target.

Note: "Natural" is defined as where your body is trying to point.  Until you get used to it, it feels anything but "natural."  It is kind of like learning to swing a golf club.

If you are using your NPOA correctly, you can close your eyes, breathe in, breathe out, open your eyes, and still be on target.  You just watch the rifle rise and fall as you breathe.  Are you perfectly still? No, not humanly possible, and the techniques of anticipating when the rifle will swing past your target are still valid. As you practice, that swing distance will get smaller and smaller.  After a while, as it begins to feel more comfortable and you relax into it further, you can see your heartbeat in the movement of your sights.

I will see if I can find some pictures tonight of what the shooting positions look like.

9/22/20 9:52 p.m.

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2020/5/28/make-natural-point-of-aim-work-for-you/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course/shooting-skills/rifle-positions

This last one shows rifles with slings, but not being used (except for hasty, which is fine if you need haste).  This is silly; it is like having a car that will let you left foot brake, being in a situation where you need it, and just not doing it.  If you carry your rifle on your shoulder with a sling, get a sling that helps you hit your target. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/26/20 11:25 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

I guess I should have mentioned my sweep is probably an inch or less of gun movement. Rifles I push from left to right as my left is my support hand.  Hand guns I go bottom up.

I have 7 damaged discs in my neck and back ranging from bulging to ruptured and my left arm is pretty lame due to pinched nerves so I dont really have much choice in the NPOA, it's all awkward.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/20 7:08 p.m.

Finally found some .45 at a reasonable price. Ordered 400 wish I'd ordered more. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/1/20 7:29 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

colt or acp?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/2/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

ACP.... which is technically still Colt? cheeky

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
10/2/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

This spring I was pretty well stocked on everything but .45 ACP, so I bought 1900 rounds total of varying quantities of 9mm, .380 ACP, and .45 ACP in April.  None of it was a great deal, but "normal" prices, from Natchez of all places.  I haven't shot anything but .22 LR since then.  laugh  Still glad to have it.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
10/4/20 11:56 a.m.

I just plain stopped going to the range.  Planning a carry gun only day here soon.  Cant get rusty, not with how crap is these days 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/20 12:39 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to bobzilla :

This spring I was pretty well stocked on everything but .45 ACP, so I bought 1900 rounds total of varying quantities of 9mm, .380 ACP, and .45 ACP in April.  None of it was a great deal, but "normal" prices, from Natchez of all places.  I haven't shot anything but .22 LR since then.  laugh  Still glad to have it.

Natchez had amko longer than most, probably because of their high shipping prices really

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 83

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K2otcPJromdWvCKZd1Dn0XamuzLJfBTsnCBzqNpWODdZ0BC5f9wP28QR5wvMG0ue