1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/12/20 11:01 a.m.

My friends and I were recently discussing the insanity going on right now in the world. Since we have other threads for that, I won't go too far into it, but one of the topics that came up is what the heck to do when we are all stuck working from home and can't go anywhere before/after work. Since my commute sucks up a good 3-4 hours of my day, I'll have a pile of time to do things around the house if I can stay healthy. And thanks to Daylight Savings, the sun sets later so outdoor things can happen.

I mentioned working on my Trans Am project a lot more with the newfound time, and one of my friends had a brilliant idea:

CoronaCars!

Car guys will potentially have more time to work on stuff, right? I know I will, and most of my friends are doing the same thing. Maybe you guys will too, who knows. I'm hoping that once this all blows over, I'll be cruising the streets in my Trans Am! Is it a dumb idea? Probably, but I'm going for it! Gotta stay positive!

And I know at least one of you has an actual Toyota Corona to wrench on, so join us! laugh

java230
java230 UberDork
3/12/20 11:20 a.m.

I sanded bondo for a couple hours yesterday! :D

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/12/20 11:21 a.m.

I am about to order some parts for my Civic so I can do the same thing.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/12/20 11:27 a.m.

I've been working on slot cars instead of 1:1 cars lately, but basically yeah.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/20 11:56 a.m.

I've been considering a self-quarantine to work on the Midlana. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/20 12:24 p.m.

Heading to pick up Anthony's DSM on Saturday. I've already been plotting this!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/12/20 12:58 p.m.

My truck started vanishing Brake fluid so I'll be working on that. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/12/20 12:59 p.m.

OMG now I need a $500 Toyota Corona to build up for Lemons racing.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/12/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Rear drums?  Bet you a case of a certain Mexican lager that it's the rear wheel cylinders.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/12/20 1:19 p.m.

Hopefully get the stupid Mustang finish and the best car back on the road well I'm stuck at home for the Coronavirus

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/12/20 1:50 p.m.

Waiting on that email from HR. I might be able to finish up the firewall on the truck next week then.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/12/20 3:10 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to dropstep :

Rear drums?  Bet you a case of a certain Mexican lager that it's the rear wheel cylinders.

I like that you didn't say "I bet you a case of corona"; although we could debate which "case" and which "corona couldn't we?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/12/20 3:20 p.m.

"Working from home" is not a possibility for me.  Self quarantine means I don't make payroll next month, and the bank takes my house, then I starve to death.

I won't have any money to build a car.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/12/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Yeah driver rear started squeaking about the same time the fluid started to vanish. Nothing visible on the back of the tire yet but that's my bet. They were replaced about 1200 miles ago according too the receipts that came with the truck but I won't know until I pull the wheels 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/12/20 4:46 p.m.

I will try and get my old Fiats running ,  and if I need to go get some parts there will not be much traffic !

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/20 4:49 p.m.

Unfortunately, I work from home so I'll still be working and with the kids, I don't get much time for myself.

I will, of course, support you all from afar and try to do things where I can.

slowride
slowride Dork
3/12/20 4:57 p.m.

I'm hoping any work-from-home situation holds off a few weeks. I got stitches today that should come out in 14 days, and I may go nuts if I have to work from home at the same time. But after that, I have a bike in a box to build... no car though.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/20 5:31 p.m.

I'll definitely get the paint on the 323 done and completed. And more traction on the drivetrain, but I doubt that'll get done unless I get 2-3 sets of hands. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/20 8:18 p.m.

Hard to be a veterinarian from home. We'll see what happens.

No major work needed on the fleet, cleaning and some oil changes.

I might get back to work on my trailer for the canoe. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/12/20 10:37 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

"Working from home" is not a possibility for me.  Self quarantine means I don't make payroll next month, and the bank takes my house, then I starve to death.

I won't have any money to build a car.

This. Can't build a car when you're living in it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/20 12:12 a.m.

I'm planning on doing some work on the cars, but the main plan will be to attack the privet along the back of the property and continue cleaning the garage (so I can do serious work on the cars, rain or shine)

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/13/20 6:47 a.m.

I may use the non-commuting time to start all the permit paperwork to put a garage at the new house, that's probably as close to car stuff as I'll get other than figuring out what the terrible noise coming from my rear wheel on the truck is (pretty sure the mini drum brake used as a parking brake fell apart inside the hub) 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/13/20 8:29 p.m.

For the record, the whole "working from home" thing was not a slight toward anyone. I know a lot of people have to still go to work during all of this. I was an "essential employee" at a big financial company for 10 years, so I know how it is to have to go to work no matter what's going on. I'm extremely lucky to be able to work from home.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
3/14/20 6:23 a.m.

If my commute sucked up 3-4 hours per day, I'd be spending some time finding a new job. 
i was there once. 15 hours per week, 48 weeks a year away from my family ads up. I'm now 2 miles away. 
but in answer to your question, I'd be flying drones more. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
3/14/20 8:40 a.m.

I drive a front loader and if I brought it home and started digging for clay my wife would literally kill me

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eEk8fXZrTdn5nknFvkl3Ng7gvwME1FJFQg85fwHMsaTdKZJEB7f5AVBq0TkqYhrO