Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/10/18 7:30 p.m.

Or, as my friend calls it, a giant cooking penis.  I will report on my first attempt, a four pound outside round, in about 24 hours.  

I've had two people tell me it's the best thing ever.  Anybody used one?

Supplemental joke, based on the first paragraph: I'm cocking a roast beef...

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
11/10/18 8:43 p.m.

Are you serious about it or are you just dicking around?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/10/18 9:39 p.m.

You'll have to tell me how good your meat is. 

On a serious note, I want one. Sous vide+ reverse sear are the new hot steak cooking method, and I wanna try and do some other stuff with it too. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/10/18 9:41 p.m.

I do reverse sear on my steaks.  Not sure I could see the benefits of going the final step to spurs vide.

Pete

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/10/18 9:53 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I do reverse sear on my steaks.  Not sure I could see the benefits of going the final step to spurs vide.

Pete

I'm only curious because of how tender slow cooked whatever turns out to be, and the temp control. I really wanna stick a prime rib in one. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/18 6:37 a.m.

I got one a couple weeks ago. So far i have done ribeye and a 2.5lb beef roast. I think it works well and is easy to use.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/18 7:38 a.m.

We got one either for Christmas or SWMBO's bday last year. We love it, steaks turn out awesome every time, makes a great roast for slicing into sandwiches, cooks a perfect salmon fillet - hell, she's even made eggs bennedict with it before. And in our house we refer to it as the cooking vibrator cheeky

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/11/18 4:50 p.m.

20 hours might be too long.  Almost too tender. Its texture is a bit odd, almost like a tender chicken breast.  Also, I over spiced.  I might have been thinking about a slow cooker and how spice seems to disappear in those.  133 degrees was medium.

I think I will try a shorter time, and I bet fish would be really good.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/18 5:01 p.m.

I also over spiced my roast. I wasn't sure if it was from seasoning again before the final sear or just initial seasoning.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/11/18 5:03 p.m.

I was pretty aggressive with the spice

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/11/18 5:10 p.m.

I dont understand the long cooking time. 123 F and slap that thing on an iron skillet at 650 F to decorate the outside in a nice sear and you are done. Doing a reverse sear as we post. 

Like I said, I still do the initial cook to 123 in the oven using a meat thermometer. Takes right around an hour for a two bone prime rib.

Pete

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/11/18 5:10 p.m.

Do I get a picture of said genitallus cookus maxus or must i go off to ............the INTERWEBB..........

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/12/18 11:50 a.m.
Mndsm said:
NOHOME said:

Pete

I'm only curious because of how tender slow cooked whatever turns out to be, and the temp control. I really wanna stick a prime rib in one. 

Hmm I have a sous vide now and will be doing prime rib for Xmas. Maybe I'll do it this way.

I'm trying to figure out what to cook first

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/12/18 11:58 a.m.
Mndsm said:
NOHOME said:

Pete

I also do reverse sear on my steaks. In the oven at 225 for 20-28 minutes depending on thickness. Then into a hot cast iron for 30 or so seconds per side. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/18 12:06 p.m.

Something called a Soux Vide to cook meat = mankind spiraling into oblivion.  Fire. Cook meat with fire. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/18 12:07 p.m.

Just kidding, we need new ways to prepare food.  Enjoy. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/12/18 12:13 p.m.

I found this really good at understanding time vs texture. About half way down. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

And I really like sous vide steaks. Perfect cook every time and super moist and tender. 

RevRico
12/17/18 5:06 p.m.

I did steaks tonight in the sous vide. Very pretty, very very fresh New York strips, like I had to wait for them to cut them fresh. 

I like my steaks to moo, but went to 120 because I thought it was a nice even number, and did them for 1 hour 45 minutes, starting in water already at temp.

My dial thermometer said they were 115-118 so close enough I guess? 

Anyway, sous vide steaks fresh out of the bag look gross, but cooked perfectly even across. Finished them with a 30 second per side sear on a smoking cast iron skillet. 

believe it or not, ^^ that's after they were cooked. Smoked kosher salt and cracked black pepper for seasoning really shows.

Much better looking after a good sear.

Ok, I guess the thing was worth the $50 I paid for it. 

I'm intrigued now though, I see lots of experimenting ahead this winter. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/17/18 5:54 p.m.

I have an infra red thermometer to make sure the searing pan is over 600 degrees. I use a propane fired burner and need to take some pics because the fireballs from the smoke catching fire are epic.

Said thermometer is also awesome for checking header tube temps and radiator efficiency. I can also shoot it around the room and see who is letting their beer sit too long. We call that person a slacker.

Pete

RevRico
1/1/19 12:04 p.m.

My new favorite way to cook kielbasa. I need to try other tubular meats now.

I just threw some pork chops in for tonight. I'm excited. 

einy
einy HalfDork
1/1/19 3:42 p.m.

Bought one about a year ago, and love the results.  Best, most moist porkchops ever using this method as just one example.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mE0l691akKG7gJPhn8wkJYnWZ8x1To3UrmOQfG0v7UZEElZ1FIn4moOVarrjVf1F