1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/19/19 4:02 p.m.

One pattern I see here.

Simple bread used for sandwiches can use some help, which toasting will do a great job.

Great bread that is great one it's own can go either way- but I be if you did the toasting on a BBQ with a light brushing of olive oil, well, minds will be blown.

So what about the side issue- toast ripping your mouth apart?  Worth the pain, for sure, but it kind of sucks.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 4:04 p.m.

Toast except in the cases of a fresh bagel, hard roll,  crusty Italian bread.  Toasting can even make old or lousy bagels edible. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 4:07 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My daughter and I refer to bread as raw toast. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/19/19 4:08 p.m.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sheet pan lined with parchment paper.

Lay out 8 slices of bread in the sheet pan.

Lay out 1 package of bacon, 1 layer thick on top of the bread.

In the oven until the bacon crisps and the bread is toasted.

Makes perfect bacon and the most wonderful, unhealthy toast you've ever had.

Pair with poached eggs because healthy.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 4:18 p.m.

Riddle me this. Put bread in toaster. Push button. Soon, toast comes out. Where does the bread go?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/19/19 4:21 p.m.

Toast for many things, mainly because I live alone and keep my bread in the freezer.  Fresh bread, still warm from the oven, with an unhealthy quantity of butter melting on top, is just one of those simple things that makes me happy, fat and unhealthy.

As an aside, you don't make sandwiches at any time more than 90 seconds before you eat them.  Pack the makings in the bag, educate your kid to bring the paring knife home from school every day, and they will be happier teenagers.

As I type the above, I realize sending a knife to school with your child these days would probably involve a swat team, so I guess you have to pre cut the tomatoes, which kinda ruins them.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/19/19 4:21 p.m.

Making toast in a pan is better than a toaster, even if you're not making a sandwich

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/19 4:28 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Toast for many things, mainly because I live alone and keep my bread in the freezer.  Fresh bread, still warm from the oven, with an unhealthy quantity of butter melting on top, is just one of those simple things that makes me happy, fat and unhealthy.

As an aside, you don't make sandwiches at any time more than 90 seconds before you eat them.  Pack the makings in the bag, educate your kid to bring the paring knife home from school every day, and they will be happier teenagers.

As I type the above, I realize sending a knife to school with your child these days would probably involve a swat team, so I guess you have to pre cut the tomatoes, which kinda ruins them.

This. I can't believe on the last page I read someone makes their sandwiches the night BEFORE for work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/19 4:29 p.m.
The0retical said:

Seriously though. Who baked a loaf of bread and was like "you know what? Bake it again"

I'm a bagel man myself.

I find this whole post a bit ironic considering bagel's are also "cooked" three times, sure not baked twice, but boiled, then baked, THEN toasted!

And that also seems weird to me. That said, I do love a good bage also.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 4:35 p.m.

Secret for bomb grill cheese, use mayo to toast the bread. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/19/19 4:37 p.m.

I tried the mayo technique. Butter ftw—mayo was not as crisp, lacked yummy butter saltiness.... overall just a tick sad.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
7/19/19 4:58 p.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/19/19 5:33 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

Yeah, toast!

Oh thank you little baby jesus. I had never seen that before, that was fantastic!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 5:55 p.m.

I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast...

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 6:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Yes. But it's gotta be Hellman's. Not Miracle Whip. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/19 7:27 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Streetwiseguy said:

As an aside, you don't make sandwiches at any time more than 90 seconds before you eat them.

This. I can't believe on the last page I read someone makes their sandwiches the night BEFORE for work.

I’m not getting up half an hour earlier every morning just so I can have the ideal sandwich at lunch. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 8:04 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:
Mndsm said:

Yes. But it's gotta be Hellman's. Not Miracle Whip. 

I said mayonnaise. Not lies and deceit. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 8:05 p.m.
Duke said:
z31maniac said:
Streetwiseguy said:

As an aside, you don't make sandwiches at any time more than 90 seconds before you eat them.

I’m not getting up half an hour earlier every morning just so I can have the ideal sandwich at lunch. 

I don't even make the sandwich all the way before I eat it sometimes. Sometimes I cram a meat and a cheese in my mouth and call it good. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 8:08 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

A good bagel shouldn’t need to be toasted. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Conversely, good toast shouldn’t need to be bageled.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/19/19 9:03 p.m.

raison bread toast with peanut butter.......

or in the sandwich maker , rye bread with peanut butter and strawberry jam.....

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/19/19 9:04 p.m.
Duke said:

Toast.  Almost anything you can make from bread is improved by toasting it.

Exception: bread pudding.

Take a torch and toast the top of the bread pudding after you make it. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/19/19 9:12 p.m.

or Al Bundy's Toaster leavings.......

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 9:47 p.m.

I’m not putting bologna and ketchup on toast, that’s reserved for cheap white bread only.

i will, however, put fried bologna on buttered toast with grape jam, and if you’ve never tried that you have not lived 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 10:14 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

I tried the mayo technique. Butter ftw—mayo was not as crisp, lacked yummy butter saltiness.... overall just a tick sad.

Same here, but I've since learned that you should mayo the bread, but still fry it in butter. 

Haven't tried it yet, but will be giving it a try.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzvfg3E4VBLw2DQZmVufcqD6PdAFQ3CL0luxaA3wLeoJf69Nws1N62FT9vjbuAE7