1 2 3 ... 7
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/15 10:50 p.m.
Beer Baron said: I know there is a Delicious Beer tasting thread, and a few have popped up about home-brewing info, but nothing so far about sharing recipes or bragging rights on beer.

It's time. Too many award winning brewers on here and not enough recipe piracy/sharing.

This recipe started out as a Dunkle Bock recipe I found in my local brew store. I'm not well versed enough to know if it's a "Dunkle Bock" any more, but dang do I think it's gooooood!

Hungary Bill's Dunkle Bock

batch size = 5 gal

• 8lbs Breiss Pillsner Liquid Malt Extract
  • .5lbs Crystal 80l
  • .5lbs Chocolate Malt
  • .5lbs Victory
  • 1oz Hallertauer hops (boil time 60 mins)
  • White labs WLP060 American Ale Blend
  • 1-week primary, 1-week secondary
  • 3/4 cup corn sugar (priming) and 2-weeks in bottles

I do everything in one large brew pot, but have had great results doing this in 2-separate pots if you're just getting started and are just using your kitchenware. I've found I get a much deeper flavor if I divide my grain into two separate straining bags and steep them that way (160deg) for 30 minutes.

Rinse the bags with 2-cups of water, add LME and bring to a boil for 60 minutes. Add hops (in a small steep bag) at 30min.

White labs WLP833 German Bock yeast is what the original recipe called for, and it also called for 2oz of Hallertauer hops with 1tsp Irish moss for fining (20min). I like it better my way

Figure just north of 5.7% abv.

Prost!

(edit as of 6/18: Made a batch today and the O.G. measures out to 1.066)

Hungary Bill
6/16/15 11:00 p.m.

For those just getting started, maybe you'd like a super simple recipe to get one successful fermentation under your belt. This is the recipe that got me started brewing.

Hungary Bill's Apple Wine

(everything here is proportionate)

In a pot mix:

• 1 gallon apple juice (from concentrate or 100% juice. It doesn't matter)
  • 2 lbs white sugar.

Boil until sugar is completely dissolved, cover and let sit overnight to cool.

Once cool pour your juice/sugar mix into whatever you're going to use to ferment it. Clean gallon milk jugs work. I had a 1-gallon glass jug that once held apple cider for my first run. Whatever you use make sure it's been sterilized and make sure you leave a little room below the neck of your jug for foam.

Add 1 to 2 tsp red-star champagne yeast (yellow packet) per gallon. For batches up to 6 gallons, just use the whole packet.

Cover the opening of your fermentation jug (carboy, demijon, etc) with a balloon with a pin sized hole in it. You can use saran wrap and a rubber band with a pin sized hole with the same effect. Fermentation should start within a day or so.

Store at room temp for a month and a half. By the end it should be clear enough to read a book title through.

Siphon off liquid from the sediment at the bottom, be sure not to disturb it.

Drink liquid and share!

Figure 13% + abv.

You can change the juice to sugar ratio to see how it affects flavor.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 5:13 a.m.

All Grain RIS

17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 81.93 %

1.50 lb Roasted Barley Grain 7.23 %

1.00 lb Special B Malt Grain 4.82 %

0.75 lb Chocolate Malt Grain 3.61 %

0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 2.41 %

4.00 oz Challenger [7.20 %] (60 min) Hops 59.1 IBU

2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 28.2 IBU

1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

151 degree Mash

Age for 5 months. During 5th month, soak oak chips or spirals in your favorite whiskey for 2 weeks. Add chips to fermenter for 1 week.

Bottle condition with molasses for priming sugar and use some cdc priming yeast.

Should return approx 10.5%

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
6/17/15 12:41 p.m.

For those in and around SE Michigan you will get to taste this if you come over for my Dream Cruise BBQ. I commisioned a good friend to make this for me.

Grains:
11 lb British 2-row Pale Malt
12 oz Dextrine Malt
10 oz British 20oL Crystal Malt
Hops:
½ oz Chonook 11.4% 5.7 AAU 60 minutes
.15 oz Chinook 13.1% 1.9AAU 60 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 15 min
1/3 oz Williamette 15 min
1/3 oz Cascade 1 min
2/3 oz Williamette 1 min
Yeast:
London Ale III Wyeast 1318

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 1:38 p.m.

This thread is getting dangerous already. Mrs. Hungary said she needed to go run some errands, and I had just enough goodies to run the recipe I posted above

Nevermind the messy stove, and the bowl of crap you see sitting on the left side is my starter for my "spent grains bread" recipe.

In a small bowl mix:

• 1.25 cups water
  • .25 cups sugar
  • 1 packet bread yeast
  • let sit for 30 minutes

In another bowl mix

• 3 cups spent grains (wet, straight from the mash)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp salt

When the starter is ready mix the two bowls together and mix in about 5 cups of flour slowly until you get the consistency you want.

Cover and let rise until about double in size.

Punch down, and divide into loaves

Bake 375 until done.

Beer and bread. Does life get any better?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 1:51 p.m.

Need a good summer lawn mower drink?

How about a true hard lemonade (No, it's not like Mikes)

Try SkeeterPee

Be warned, after a couple you might be laying on the grass as your riding mower runs into the side of the house.

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 1:52 p.m.

My brother's pot still is named Skeeter. "Skeeter Pee" might just be how I refer to it's product from here on out

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 1:52 p.m.

Centennial Blonde. Even non-craft beer drinkers love this one.

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)

0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)

0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)

0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

Mash @ 150 for 60

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 1:55 p.m.

A Bavarian Hef

7#/14# German Wheat

4#/8# German Pils

.5#/1# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees.

.75 / 1.5ozHallertau @ 45

.25 / .5oz Hallertau @ 15

Wyeast 3068

Ferment warmer for more of banana flavor or colder for more of clove flavor (gotta love the effects of temperature on yeast)

5/10 Gallon Recipe btw

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 3:49 p.m.

I'm seriously interested in that Hef recipe.

My local brew shop doesn't seem to have a German Pilsner LME though. They have a Breiss Pislner Light in a 3.3lb container and one just called "Pilsner" in their Breiss Bulk section. Do you have any experience with either as a substitute?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/17/15 3:55 p.m.

I have no useful information, as our brewmaster is very clandestine about what his recipes are. However, I know we use a ton of Breiss products in our beers, so they must be good. Also- the spent grains are a tasty snack in and of themselves. Like oatmeal, with more chew.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
6/17/15 4:09 p.m.

Oooooooooooooo I'm subbing!!!!

Just getting in to beer #2 (german whitbier) and am excited to see what happens, really getting into it now too.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/17/15 5:30 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: A Bavarian Hef 7#/14# German Wheat 4#/8# German Pils .5#/1# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash) Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees. .75 / 1.5ozHallertau @ 45 .25 / .5oz Hallertau @ 15 Wyeast 3068 Ferment warmer for more of banana flavor or colder for more of clove flavor (gotta love the effects of temperature on yeast) 5/10 Gallon Recipe btw

For a good Hefeweizen, I really highly recommend doing a step-infusion mashing procedure if you in any way have the capacity. You want a proteinase rest if you're using >40% wheat (which you should be).

122* for 5 minutes
146 for 20-30
158 for 20

or 122 for 5
152 for 60

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/17/15 5:34 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I have no useful information, as our brewmaster is very clandestine about what his recipes are. However, I know we use a ton of Breiss products in our beers, so they must be good. Also- the spent grains are a tasty snack in and of themselves. Like oatmeal, with more chew.

I will not divulge my recipes either. They are proprietary because they are potentially quite valuable.

Briess is meh. It's perfectly decent, but not impressive. I have several other maltsters I prefer, but Briess gets the job done fine. It's the procedural control and QA standards that make the product good.

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 5:59 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: It's the procedural control and QA standards that make the product good.

I've met more than one home brewer with dreams of having a brewery of their own that absolutely can not grasp that concept. Furthermore they can't seem to make the same product twice...

"It takes a lot more than a recipe to make a beer"

daeman
daeman Reader
6/17/15 6:16 p.m.

Awesome, its been a while since I brewed anything. Need to get my ass into gear and get back to it. Alcoholic ginger beer will be on the cards soon.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/17/15 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Apple Sauce? That a typo?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 6:38 p.m.

Hungary Bill, look into doing BIAB style brewing. It's a small step up from Extract brewing. All-Grain isn't difficult either.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
6/17/15 6:42 p.m.

Beer Baron, Can I step infusion with a cooler style mash tun? I really haven't tried. Or should I be upgrading to a RIMS system?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/15 6:48 p.m.

I'll try to post a few later. My recent award-winning Orange Peel Red was based on this recipe from Northern Brewer, but with some adjustments to the grain bill based on local avalibility, and a few tweaks that I didn't write down.

O.G: 1.062 READY: 4 WEEKS

Suggested fermentation schedule:

• 1–2 weeks primary, 1–2 weeks secondary,

1–2 weeks bottle conditioning

MASH INGREDIENTS

• 8 lbs. English Maris Otter

• 1 lb. Torrefied Wheat

• 1.5 lbs Ashburne Mild

• 0.5 lbs. English Dark Crystal

• 0.25 lbs. Bairds Carastan Malt

• 0.25 lbs. Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt

BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES

• 3/4 oz. US Magnum (60 min)

• 1 oz. Styrian Goldings (Celeia) (10 min)

• 1 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (0 min)

YEAST

• Safale S-04 Ale Yeast. Optimum temp: 64–75° F

MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION

Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes

Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 7:19 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: Apple Sauce? That a typo?

Yes. I'd blame autocorrect, but nothing I have has autocorrect

Thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/17/15 9:47 p.m.

I kinda want to try it, it'd only cost me the ingredients and an airlock (I have a 4L wine jug currently holding change that would work well), but applesauce, with it's high solids count, had me confused. Should it be kept in the dark or anything? I've never fermented anything, it's one of those things I've been meaning to do though.

Hungary Bill
6/17/15 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Sorry, "Apple Sauce" was a typo. It was supposed to be "apple juice".

For a first timer, the recipe really can't be beat. It's easy, and it tastes great (I never told the Hungarians what was in it, and they used to go bonkers over the stuff). I actually still make it from time to time as it's nice when chilled in the summer. Or I'll drop a cinnamon stick in the bottle and warm it up for some spiced cider in the winter.

Darkness vs light is really a non issue with this one. I did my first ferment in our dining room and it got direct sunlight. I've done others in the basement where it's barely light at all.

I think the yeast is under $1 at any brew shop, and the airlock isn't going to be much more than that. Careful though, it's an addicting hobby.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/17/15 10:27 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: Careful though, it's an addicting hobby.

Which is partially why I haven't gotten into it yet. Just going out to the local brewing supply/bottle shop that I've yet to enter is hazardous to my (currently somewhat thick) wallet.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/15 10:37 p.m.

And here I thought you had a new innovative recipe.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jn3nx9M2sJP9vj0gYiWQJBTmQJyNONMauIPCEA4h8vyqqpelAfwOLQOoi8bUiAXb