1 ... 5 6 7
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/22/18 12:53 a.m.

Challenging myself:  

I'm looking for ideas to replace the yeast nutrient and yeast energizer in skeeter pee without changing the flavor too much.  Right now my mashes are stalling at 1.050 after about two weeks.  The current winning recipe goes something like this:

- bread yeast

- 2 liters of lemon juice

- 14 liters of water

- tbsp of boiled bread yeast

- 8lbs of sugar.  

- sg is 1.090

Using DAP and energizer as called out in the original recipe (page 1?) are not an option, I'm afraid. 

Was thinking of trying canned/frozen corn, rice, more boiled yeast, raisins, honey, or apple juice but am open to other ideas if anyone had them. 

Why:

Well, Skeeter pee is the most "additive heavy" recipe I make.  Nothing else I make really NEEDS this much nutrient, etc.  And, since it's not my daily driver, I thought it'd be a fun one to start playing with.

Cheers!

edit:

Now that I typed out the gravity, that's not bad for a bread yeast...  Maybe that's all it has to give...

Also, I forgot to mention that I took a couple gravity readings 4-days apart.  Both were 1.050 but the mash was still bubbling steadily.  Why would it still be bubbling without an increase in ABV?  that's a new on on me.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/22/18 6:32 a.m.

Boiled yeast?  You killed it.

2 packs of ec118 is perfect

Hungary Bill
2/23/18 11:02 a.m.

sorry,  I only boiled the yeast i intended to serve as nutrient (since yeast can be canabalistic).  I pitched the live yeast as you normally would.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/24/18 5:23 p.m.

I don't think bread yeast will survive.   the EC-118 is $1 a packet and is high alcohol resistant and ferments clean.   Raisons for nutritiants.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
2/24/18 7:26 p.m.

I just drink beer, I don't brew it, but my older son works at a place called the Brewstel and the brewer recently made a new beer named in my son's honor, The Wreck of the Preston Fitzgerald.  It's a porter, unfortunately they do not bottle, just serve beers on tap and they are too far away for me to easily run up to WV to get a growler of the stuff.

If you ever find yourself in Elkins, WV stop by for a beer.

Hungary Bill
2/28/18 11:31 a.m.

I gave it two more Tbsp of boiled yeast and a small handful of mutilated raisins.  when i checked today I was at 1.042 (yay!).  Now I'm hoping it stops so I dont have to use sorbate.  Still bubbling though.  Much slower now but it looks like I found my answer.

Next time, less sugar in the mix.  Good abv but still just a little too sweet.

Hungary Bill
2/28/18 11:34 a.m.
Grtechguy said:

Boiled yeast?  You killed it.

2 packs of ec118 is perfect

I plan to try that one day.  Someone described that as "the terminator of yeast" but I didnt want this to ferment too dry.  That way I could avoid the use of potassium sorbate. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
11/25/20 8:31 a.m.

Noob questions, looking for a brew kit for myself and my dad.

I found this one Hard Cider Kit - Essential Equipment Kit  I enjoy cider, but I like Hef's as well and found this one Beer kit my dad like's IPA, so the beer kit I found has that opition.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B0IOYTkIaojEKkkvs1QCOg5C2SFIHPbBXXSBFLaezavdLGKBa0e0HCaMXsXVAG3y