David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/17 6:45 p.m.

A little more than three months ago I broke my arm. Yeah, ow. I saw the orthopedist for my latest follow-up this past Friday. Good news--mostly.

Good news: I can ride my bike provided that I take it easy--meaning my hipster Linus over my BMX.

The bad news: No skateboarding. Hey, had to ask. In fact, he said it's not uncommon to see men of "my age" in his office after skateboarding incidents. I guess the fact that two buddies recently hurt themselves skating backs up that observation--both needed surgery, too.

Really good news: I celebrated by taking this for a long drive on Saturday. It's both a car and a shoulder workout.

So, I'm healing. I'm no longer limited to button-up shirts. My arm is still swollen but the pain has gone down. I'm back playing guitar and bass (still not well). Closing the passenger door is still not graceful, though. All and all, can't complain. And thanks, everyone, for the well wishes.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/17 7:04 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Awesome news!

David S. Wallens
6/19/17 7:18 p.m.

Thanks. Yeah, it's coming back. The stretching exercises are helping with mobility, and the doctor said that the strength will follow.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/20/17 3:14 p.m.

Glad you're doing better.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/20/17 3:31 p.m.

Great news! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I used to skateboard a bunch when I was half this age and 2/3 this weight... tempted as I am, I stay off the board and mostly use it for moving furniture these days.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
6/21/17 9:00 a.m.

I loved the comment about the car being a shoulder workout. I remember autocrossing one of those on a course with a ridiculously tight hairpin turn. I was surprised to find that my muscles were sore after the first run. I think the hairpin was 2 1/2 turns of the wheel.

David S. Wallens
6/23/17 12:23 p.m.
spin_out wrote: I loved the comment about the car being a shoulder workout. I remember autocrossing one of those on a course with a ridiculously tight hairpin turn. I was surprised to find that my muscles were sore after the first run. I think the hairpin was 2 1/2 turns of the wheel.

Yeah, manual steering is fine on the open road--not so much right now in parking lots. If all (the weather) goes well, tomorrow I'll take it out again. I dig that car.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
6/23/17 9:52 p.m.
Duke wrote: Great news! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I used to skateboard a bunch when I was half this age and 2/3 this weight... tempted as I am, I stay off the board and mostly use it for moving furniture these days.

Oh god this soo sums up my life in reference to my skate board now, and glad to hear you are back on the bike and rowing gears again.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/17 11:43 p.m.

Awesome! Hope the improvements continue apace, and you're back to doing all the things soon!

Wonder if I could get a prescription for a 911 from my physical therapist...

David S. Wallens
6/24/17 11:17 a.m.
LopRacer wrote:
Duke wrote: Great news! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I used to skateboard a bunch when I was half this age and 2/3 this weight... tempted as I am, I stay off the board and mostly use it for moving furniture these days.
Oh god this soo sums up my life in reference to my skate board now, and glad to hear you are back on the bike and rowing gears again.

Thanks. Fortunately (?) I broke my left arm. Between lack of strength and mobility, it's been closing the car door that's been the tricky part--had to reach over and use my left hand. Fortunately it's steadily getting better.

David S. Wallens
6/24/17 11:17 a.m.
Ransom wrote: Wonder if I could get a prescription for a 911 from my physical therapist...

Doesn't hurt to ask.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SKz7rp0StWncMTJ2qqK3nPZtjcb9zloPGSHZ2IvUm6c4J1IaqmW0CTF3HpfE7rfH