1 2
slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/28/16 2:49 p.m.

I see zero rust in that door, no way it was caused by corrosion. That was a crappy weld from the factory and Ford should fix it. I'd hit them up on social media and see what happens.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
10/28/16 2:53 p.m.
jamscal wrote: Depending on accessibility and clearance, drill out spot weld and bolt or rivet together.

JBWeld even. Just because that was the best way to assemble when new doesn't mean it's the most effective way to fix it now. If you use a nut/bolt, make sure to use a Nylock nut so it doesn't back out. If that broke, it was probably flex and/or vibration making it happen.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
10/28/16 2:59 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Can you edit the pics and show where this is? I'm having a hard time seeing it - though completely agree the inside of the door is pristine.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
10/28/16 4:21 p.m.
GSmith wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: Can you edit the pics and show where this is? I'm having a hard time seeing it - though completely agree the inside of the door is pristine.

I wish I was able to write a few arrows over the pics to point to show exactly where the breakage is located. I was told its up in the upper left corner of the door, underneath the widest portion of the black plastic trim.

BrokenYugo thanks for pulling the pics up so hopefully all can see them now.

Not a big deal but that tipped over coffee cup on the floor of the car was not from me. I assume it was whatever tech was working on the car. No coffee appears to have spilled into the clean floormat.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/16 7:24 p.m.

I agree what was said above. I bet a dab of JB weld would work wonders. If you have room behind the weld, a well placed sheet metal screw will work too

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
12/10/16 2:16 p.m.

After finding the right guy for the job, this is finally fixed. Two 1/8 inch steel rivets solved the issue.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/16 4:23 p.m.

And it cost you????. Just curious as it would be nice to know what I was as compared to the dealers price to fix.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
12/10/16 6:10 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: And it cost you????. Just curious as it would be nice to know what I was as compared to the dealers price to fix.

$200, and it was done by a fully certified mechanic, just not one from the dealership that I've talked about here.

Initially the dealership recommended a nearby body shop (one that I found out they have a close relationship with), and gave me a verbal quote of $600-$700.

After spending more time in the dealer service area than I ever expected (for such a new vehicle), I saw a few other customers during this time who had some very aggravating (and expensive) situations themselves so I guess I got out of this pretty cheaply all things considered.

hyperactiveme
hyperactiveme New Reader
8/14/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to drainoil :

Do you have a picture of the finished repair?

Didn't really want to revive a 2yr old thread but couldn't find anything else to include my car.  Anyways the bracket in my 2016 is loose and rocks back and forth causing the channel/window to come out.   Will try Rivet or jb weld if dealer won't warranty it. Very little room. Zoom in to the bottom of 2 welds for the issue. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5xEJUGf1u1nCiS8gXKfggMDM9DjwXFtX1DNRA0DTT6Ur7o2q3FvMjPi8ueJ6soX3