JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/21/13 6:34 a.m.

The car that won Monza in 1931 is for sale:

No seatbelts, roof or even a door but this Grand Prix-winning Bugatti will smash world record when it's auctioned for £3MILLION

^^^ the positive camber in that shot seems so crazy by modern standards

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/21/13 6:57 a.m.

My dad had a large wind-up toy of this when he was a kid. I got to play with it some when I was a kid, visiting my grandma's house. I wonder if he has the toy now? It was really cool.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/13 7:55 a.m.

That has been my dream car for a long, long time.

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/21/13 8:53 a.m.

That would be a neat homebuilt/locost kind of car. Maybe with a modern 4 cylinder with some extra faux exhaust or inline 6 with actual exhaust sticking out.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/13 11:32 a.m.

That's the kind of car I'd drop several million for.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/21/13 11:46 a.m.

A surprising number of type 35s show up at the VSCDA run at road america (4 of them last spring) - although I think one is a Pur Sang. I love the pre war cycle cars.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/21/13 11:51 a.m.
RossD wrote: That would be a neat homebuilt/locost kind of car. Maybe with a modern 4 cylinder with some extra faux exhaust or inline 6 with actual exhaust sticking out.

I totally agree. I was unaware of this car when I started my replica of the datsun phaeton. When I finish the datsun, it may be followed by a boat tailed speedster replica that takes a lot of cues from this. The trick would be to find a cheap little pickup for the donor.

I have plenty of scrap metal on hand to do it, so a trash-a-gatti

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/21/13 12:01 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
RossD wrote: That would be a neat homebuilt/locost kind of car. Maybe with a modern 4 cylinder with some extra faux exhaust or inline 6 with actual exhaust sticking out.
I totally agree. I was unaware of this car when I started my replica of the datsun phaeton. When I finish the datsun, it may be followed by a boat tailed speedster replica that takes a lot of cues from this. The trick would be to find a cheap little pickup for the donor. I have plenty of scrap metal on hand to do it, so a trash-a-gatti

You should use a Jag 6. That is a pretty motor that work great for that kinda car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8H64sZ8zdXoXrcGqMjED9G0eo1udb0Jfqq6UAwVy8z4DvdzRUfPu41SsgpQ06pK7