stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/13/18 10:36 a.m.

Anyone with experience?  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/13/18 10:49 a.m.

Acoustic or electric? 

Electric is is pretty straightforward. My cousin built his in about two hours, no finishing/paint. 

Acoustic is pretty difficult. My very handy brother who is a decent woodworker has had one half finished for about 6 years now. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/18 11:09 a.m.

There's also a big difference in quality(and price) between the cheap Chinese kits and ordering everything from someplace like Warmouth. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
1/13/18 11:28 a.m.

I had a lot of fun building a cigar box guitar.  Cheap, too, so when I lose interest, I'm not out that much.

http://www.gwellwood.com/crazy-projects/the-cigar-box-guitar/

stroker
stroker UltraDork
1/13/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

That's what I had in mind for the kids.  Something to spark interest more than develop skill. 

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/14/18 8:52 a.m.

The cheap kits can be infuriating. Missing hardware, warped necks. +1 for a quality kit. Its worth the scratch if you want to play it when your'e done.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/14/18 9:01 a.m.

I have a Chinese kit Les Paul that was assembled by an experienced builder. He does wonderful finish work - the guitar I have was meant to be a replica of a well known '59 'burst known as "The Beast" and it's not a bad approximate, although IMHO the finish could have used a bit more gloss. The guitar doesn't play badly, but it has a rather weak/thin sound compared to my actual Gibson Les Pauls. 

In addition to popular vendors like Warmoth (I have one of their Tele bodies and it's beautiful), you can also get raw parts from Kiesel (formerly Carvin) guitars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N7VrItYYRgA3ihIjwrh4NwyDXF9BJESASyFKHAPcbuCSmXX2jYHv2QkGe94ffyoF