1 2
turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/12 4:14 p.m.

http://www.oregonlive.com/aloha/index.ssf/2012/07/aloha_man_30_arrested_going_11.html

"A 30-year-old Aloha man was arrested on suspicion of speeding 112 miles per hour on Oregon 22 near Mill City on Sunday morning.

A Marion County Sheriff's deputy spotted a red 2007 Acura RDX rounding a bend traveling west just before noon. The car passed another vehicle traveling west, barely staying in the westbound passing lane. The deputy clocked the car at 112 mph.

The driver, Jason Scott Butters, told the deputy he wasn't sure how fast he was going, but felt it was "safe" because he was passing other cars. But other drivers honked at him and gave the deputy the thumbs up when he pulled him over.

Butters was arrested for reckless driving, cited for excessive speed and booked into Marion County Jail. The vehicle, which belongs to his father, was impounded at the scene.

-- Lynne Terry"

30 year old "man" drives his Father's Acura RDX over 100mph. In traffic. Says he "felt safe becase he was passing cars." Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Of course my cousin was popped a while back for doing 120mph in her parent's Escape near West Linn. She was trying to get home before curfew apparently, but she was still an idiot and she had to pay for everything out of her pocket and lost her driving privileges for quite a while after her license was reinstated.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/10/12 4:20 p.m.

You can go 120 mph in an Escape??

turboswede
7/10/12 4:29 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: You can go 120 mph in an Escape??

Yup. According to the police whom stopped her after hitting the rig with LIDAR, following complaints from fellow motorists.

She may have been on a downhill section of I-205 at the time, not sure.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/10/12 4:37 p.m.

so you've never cracked 100 passing another car on a 2-lane road? an RDX isn't exactly a slow vehicle despite it being an SUV. i'm not really even sure why this is news other than the fact that the guy got popped and his name is Butters

alex
alex UltraDork
7/10/12 4:56 p.m.

Oh, hamburgers!

turboswede
7/10/12 5:03 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: so you've never cracked 100 passing another car on a 2-lane road? an RDX isn't exactly a slow vehicle despite it being an SUV. i'm not really even sure why this is news other than the fact that the guy got popped and his name is Butters

I actually did 125mph through the center of town. Once. When I was an idiot man-child with a reasonably powerful car.

If they are going fast enough that you need that much speed to pass them? Perhaps you need to slow down and leave earlier.

Oh and yes, the reason I posted this is exactly because the guy's name was Butters and he was arrested for driving too fast.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
7/10/12 7:03 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Strizzo wrote: so you've never cracked 100 passing another car on a 2-lane road? an RDX isn't exactly a slow vehicle despite it being an SUV. i'm not really even sure why this is news other than the fact that the guy got popped and his name is Butters
I actually did 125mph through the center of town. Once. When I was an idiot man-child with a reasonably powerful car. If they are going fast enough that you need that much speed to pass them? Perhaps you need to slow down and leave earlier. Oh and yes, the reason I posted this is exactly because the guy's name was Butters and he was arrested for driving too fast.

i grew up in a small town- population around 1000.. the cop would leave the squad car parked in front of the police station right on US highway 12 after he went off duty at about 2 am.. with the radar on..

one of my friends had a 79 Camaro that he had swapped a mild 454 into. that engine combined with the stock 2.47 gears made for one hell of a top end charge. i stood next to the cop car watching the radar, and he went about a mile out of town to get a good run.. that one night the radar clocked him at 140, 147, and 145..

when he picked me up after he was done playing, i asked him what it was like.. he said that the light poles looked like a picket fence and every little dip in the road felt like a speed bump..

we did the same thing the next summer after he had swapped in some 3.73 gears, and it only dropped his top speed down to 141.

we always liked finding those radar trailers that they'd put out in the country to get people to slow down, too..

was it smart? no.. was it cool? hell yeah. we were 19 and immortal...

a number of years later, i decided to see how fast my 94 9C1 Caprice would go after a particularly frustrating night at work.. it pulled like a freight train until it hit the 146mph speed limiter, and it drove silky smooth at speed.. i was impressed. then i remembered that i was on a country road that had a lot of deer on it, so i let off and slowed down.. i passed a cop at just over 60mph at the top of a hill about a mile after letting off..

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/12 8:17 p.m.

Of course, otherwise they couldn't name it an "Escape."

Captain Obvious to the Rescue!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/10/12 8:25 p.m.
Secretariata wrote:
Of course, otherwise they couldn't name it an "Escape." Captain Obvious to the Rescue!

Last time I saw someone attempt to escape in an Escape, they ended it in a wall. (The wall won.)

On another note, a friend was stopped doing 124 in a v6 mustang. He was ticketed.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/10/12 8:29 p.m.

I did just over an indicated 100 in a '67 Mustang (my sister's) back in 1970 but stopped when I realized that it wouldn't take much in that car to turn it into a rolled up pile of sheet metal. One largish pothole or blown bias ply tire.

A few years ago, I had my '92 Civic with a mildly modded B18 up to an indicated 130...it made everything else look like they were barely moving. Car felt like it could have done an indicated 145-150, but at those speeds it felt like you were driving a go kart with a thin metal body.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/10/12 9:10 p.m.

Drove a Lamborghini Espada down the Eastern Shore on Maryland 213 in the middle of a weeknight. That car didn't even begin to make sense until you were north of 85mph, and it handled a buck 50 with aplomb. Of course, Maryland keeps most of their roads in really nice shape.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/12 9:14 p.m.
Once. When I was an idiot man-child with a reasonably powerful car.

Guilty! When I was 23, I had a 1999 Mustang Cobra convertible with 4.30 gears and an obnoxiously loud exhaust.

I once got pulled over for street racing my buddy in his V6 'stang. I was doing over 130 in a 55 but the cop wrote it for 90 in a 55. This was on a 4 lane state highway. During the 5pm rush hour. That was the last time I ever street raced...

Funny thing novaderrik, I grew up in a small town on St Hwy 12 on the Idaho-Washington border. I nearly topped out my Cobra by hitting 145 going down the western side of the continental divide (with the top down )

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/12 10:29 p.m.

I used to take every vehicle I owned up to 100 mph once...or more often just to see if it could do it. Started with a 197X Pinto, stopped a few years back. I've only taken one over 120 mph indicated on public roadways. 1986 Mustang SVO, speedo indicated between 135 and 140 when I backed out due to rapidly catching traffic and fear that some "idiot" would make a bonehead move like change lanes immediately in front of me. I managed to survive my stupidity! May or may not end up good for the rest of you.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
7/10/12 10:45 p.m.

It's all about the gears. Back in the day, if you told the salesman you wanted "highway gears", you'd wind up with something like a 2.73:1 axle. Remember, kids, these were the days before overdrive was common.

My Chevelle had "highway gears". I was clocked at 134 in a 55. That could have been expensive, but I went before the judge and got it knocked down to 74 in a 55.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
7/10/12 10:47 p.m.
Duke wrote: Drove a Lamborghini Espada down the Eastern Shore on Maryland 213 in the middle of a weeknight. That car didn't even begin to make sense until you were north of 85mph, and it handled a buck 50 with aplomb. Of course, Maryland keeps most of their roads in really nice shape.

Wasn't an Espada, but I've been on the same road in a Colorado that hit the limiter at 110ish with a ladder in the back, among other things at slightly higher speeds.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/10/12 11:10 p.m.

I did 150-155 a couple of times before I realized that was crazy and I was going to end up in the middle of a giant steel wad of chewed gum that was once my car, and decided to trade it for something less likely to get me arrested or killed.

155 in the ms3 was interesting because it wasn't running out of power, it ran out of gear. 5th went to about 135, and 155 was about where the power started tailing off rapidly just before the limiter at around 5600-5700 in 6th

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/11/12 8:35 a.m.

19, stupid and in ownership of an 89 Caprice 9C1. That car hit a brick wall aerodynamically at 125mph. 0-90 was quick. 90-110, took a while, 110-120 took forever and it took a tailwind going downhill to hit 125. The aero on that sucked. It was like driving a walmart building. LAter that year when I had to put a tranny in mine, I was driving Dad's 91 "bathtub" body 9C1. that car pulled like mad all the way to 125 without slowing down.... but the rear hald wheel wells created so much lift that at 120 you were at the top of the shock's travel and any bump would pull the rear tires off the ground. I found that out the hard way and I think my butt imprint was still in that seat when he sold the car 8 years later.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/11/12 8:44 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: but the rear hald wheel wells created so much lift

Trying to understand this, what is "hald"?--are you talking about the skirts over half the rear wheels on the early B-Body's? (Half wheel wells?)

(not trying to be a nazi here, just having trouble understanding your post)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/11/12 9:25 a.m.

fat fingered... that half was the actual word I was trying to type. 91-92 Caprices had a half wheel well. Like this:

In 1993, GM redisgned the rear wheel arches to be a full arch, likethis:

The early cars had a serious aero lift in the rear. the car could run 130mph with the slick lines and the underpowered 205hp TBI 5.7L, but by 120 the rear suspension was useless because the ass end lifted to te top of the shock travel so any dip led to the car getting the rear wheels airborne. Obviouisly this made handling a bit... umm... "dicey" at higher speeds. IIRC, Colorado state police installed cheap-o spoilers on their trunks to help the handling on those early cars. After 1993 the issue was solved and by 1994 they entered the books as teh fastest Police sedan ever.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
7/11/12 9:34 a.m.

155, The car felt like it was floating, then the hood almost came off from the back side. It got a good 4 inches off the wiper cowl. It was time to slow down...

Oh and I did 135ish in a 01 Mustang GT with no body on it infront of the doors/ A pillar. At that speed I figured out that the plastic bits tend to explode and the hood prop goes bye-bye forever.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
7/11/12 9:42 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: fat fingered... that half was the actual word I was trying to type. 91-92 Caprices had a half wheel well. Like this:

Okay, that is what I thought you meant. I did not know that about the rear lift, although it is not entirely surprising.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/12 10:16 a.m.

Many Many Years back I took a 928s4 up to 180 and it was still pulling (the top speed of that car was well over 200 MPH) but I was running out of pavement. My friend took the same car to over 200 MPH out west some place. It was one of the first 928s4's in the country. As we found out and many others attested to Porsche advertises the the top speed at significantly less than what it would really do for insurance reasons. Very similar to the HP ratings of the big V8's that GM put out in the late 60's and early 70's.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
7/11/12 11:00 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

200 mph in a 928?

No. Great cars. Fast cars. But not 200 MPH cars.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/11/12 11:54 a.m.
turboswede wrote: The vehicle, which belongs to his father

Ha

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/12 12:18 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Last time I saw someone attempt to escape in an Escape, they ended it in a wall. (The wall won.)

Breaking rocks in the hot sun, I fought the wall and the wall won.

On another note, a friend was stopped doing 124 in a v6 mustang. He was ticketed.

What year? An '02 has a 105mph limiter, even with the 17" wheel package.

Not that isn't easily defeatable, of course.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xbq2SZwq9WwYOPoHbStxjFYDyqhNMlmEZypTZk8Miv3O3y1m9a9hZAJmRJtWOOIF