1 2 3
jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/17/08 3:21 p.m.

rob_lewis wrote: http://www.titaniumrings.com/tensionsmall.html

This website has some cool stuff. They even have a ring for the Mazda fan.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/17/08 3:22 p.m.

Saw an advertisement for engagement rings yesterday. My girlfriend made a comment about it, to give me a hard time (we have no plans to get married anytime soon). I immediately shot back with, "You make more money than me."

joey48442 wrote: Also, and I'm not a big fan of trying to one up everyone else, or one to care much what others think, but it does kinda suck when your wife's friend say "Oh, that's cute!" about her ring.

I am opposed to the current practice of buying an engagement ring, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is how catty women get about them.

I swear, every time I've seen a young woman get engaged for the first time, all attention gets focused on the ring. Friends all want to see the ring and don't give a E36 M3 about the guy.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/08 3:30 p.m.

I wonder if I could convince her to buy me Camaro parts up to the same value as the ring, then we'd be even.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. You guys are the best.!

Any downside to a titanium ring?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
11/17/08 3:33 p.m.

Not sure what it says about me, but I've had 3 engagement rings custom made now. All 3 were solitaires, and I just picked the band and setting I wanted and had them put together they way I wanted.

Both of the first two were built around diamonds I bought at one pawn shop or another. The second one was actually a .65 ct stone I bought in the ugliest mans ring ever made for $500. Perfect stone, and the value of the gold was enough to cover the expense of having the custom band made. After it was all done she took it to another jeweler to get it appraised for insurance at well over 10 times what I had into it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/17/08 3:34 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Any downside to a titanium ring?

Only if it has to be cut off in an emergency. For what it's worth, our bands are ti with an inlaid gold stripe.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
11/17/08 3:37 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: .... as an engineer, i wanted the least number of internal flaws, the brightest color, etc, that i could reasonablly afford. so ended up with a .75ct. round, VS2 clarity, F color. i sold a 32k-original-mile '69 corvair to buy the ring. it was a good deal for me.

That explains it; it's an engineer thing. I did the exact same thing. My wife wanted to be surprised. (Dating for over 8 years gives you a clue into how they think--or at least a false sense of security.)

Because she has small hands, I knew that a .5 ct round would be the ticket. I read up enough to know what I was looking at and went up the grades until I couldn't tell the difference between the one I bought and what was one grade up (on both color and clarity).

It cost a little less than one month of my salary at the time. Now, somewhat less.

Incidentally, a younger friend of mine was asking for diamond-buying advice a couple of years ago. I told him basically what you see above plus a version of Dr. Hess' advice. He told me that his older sister had told him she'd heard 4 months salary was the current rage.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
11/17/08 3:53 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: 4 months salary was the current rage.

LOL. For most people, that would be a year's rent/mortgage. That's insane. I'm pretty sure my wife would rather take several long, luxurious European vacations over a ring that cost 4 months salary.

minimac
minimac Dork
11/17/08 3:57 p.m.

Pawnshops....Buy a couple of rings for the stones and take them the jeweler of your choice and buy a nice setting. You get a good looking ring for a lot less and they'll even buy the left over gold from the old rings. Or take up grave robbing or mortuary work part time.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
11/17/08 4:09 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote:
LOL. For most people, that would be a year's rent/mortgage. That's insane. I'm pretty sure my wife would rather take several long, luxurious European vacations over a ring that cost 4 months salary.

mine tried to tell me that its 3 months salary. i corrected her, and she countered with "ok, 2 months, but pre-tax" she also started with "its going to have to be at least 1ct since i have long fingers"

should i be worried? omg

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/17/08 4:15 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote:
Gimp wrote: Any downside to a titanium ring?
Only if it has to be cut off in an emergency. For what it's worth, our bands are ti with an inlaid gold stripe.

As I'm in the garage on a regular basis and a klutz, that was the first question I asked. At that time, I was told that it might take a few seconds longer, but they can still be cut through at any emergency room. Nowdays, they are somewhat common enough I would bet most emergency rooms have cut one off.

The only other downside is it does get "dull", but a quick run on the buffing wheel will shine it right back up (if you want it really shiny).

-Rob

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/17/08 4:17 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: mine tried to tell me that its 3 months salary. i corrected her, and she countered with "ok, 2 months, but pre-tax" she also started with "its going to have to be at least 1ct since i have long fingers" should i be worried? *omg*

Ouch. It's really easy for me to talk, since I'm still pretty young, but...

If she wants a ring that's that expensive, she should start saving. What's she getting you with 2-3 months of her salary?

Is she marrying the ring or is she marrying you?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/17/08 4:25 p.m.

My Girlfriend agreed to buy me a classic Fiat Cinquecento for my wedding present, so I will get her a nice ring.

P.S. Titanium does not need to be cut in an emergency...if it crushes around your finger, it is usually easier to cut off the finger and reattach it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/17/08 4:49 p.m.

Ti does look cool, but I'm happy with my white gold band. Personally, I'm not a fan of yellow gold. I did go with a "square" band--something like this: http://www.jewelbasket.com/14k-square-wedding-bands.html

I love the look, but I have marred up a few leather steering wheels thanks to its harsh edge. The white gold also goes nicely with a stainless steel watch.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/17/08 4:52 p.m.

I have a ti wedding band. I like it. I got it for "free" for buying my wifes custom made wedding ring.

I liked the tungsten carbide rings, but didn't want a ring that cannot be resized.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/17/08 5:01 p.m.

Is it bad that I'm suddenly thinking about settling down since I saw the Rotary ring?

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/08 5:39 p.m.
P71 wrote: Is it bad that I'm suddenly thinking about settling down since I saw the Rotary ring?

To paraphrase from above:

"Are you marrying her or the ring?"

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/17/08 5:47 p.m.

me and my better half had been discusing it, and then she found a ring on ebay for 35(?) and told me that was THE ONE. And that is what she has on her left hand. But I am looking at a nicer one for her this Xmas. Maybe 2 weeks salerie, not 2 months.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 6:19 p.m.

I had a friend at the jewelry store. He sold me an engagement ring I liked for $350. She married me anyway. Almost 10 years ago now.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/17/08 6:37 p.m.

I'd scan CL or pawn shops locally you'd be surprised at the deals you can get, I sold my ex's rings for dirt cheap (paid 1500ish for the engagement ring) I sold them for 300 just to get rid of that crap.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/17/08 7:09 p.m.

Yes, well, if you REALLY love her, you'll buy her FOUR MONTHS GROSS PAY worth of cheap soda pop. Before year end.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/17/08 7:14 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: I wanted to surprise her, so I was on my own for shopping. That said, I knew her taste in jewlery was simple. Ended up with a 3/4 Ct. Round Solitaire that she loves. No idea what prices have done in the last decade, but it was pretty affordable. Nowhere close to 2 months.
I've looked at those. They tend to land at $500, which is certainly reasonable. I'd been looking between $500-1000, but wanted to make sure I wasn't being too cheap about it. She's an Irish girl, so I've looked into some stuff in that sense, but most are really Celtic looking, and I just don't see that working for her. She has a Claddagh that she wears all the time, so I wouldn't want to compete with that.

Unless prices have really dropped, $500 got you a pretty nasty 3/4 Ct. when I was shopping. I spent $1200 IIRC, but the clarity and color are both good. It blings nicely.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
11/17/08 7:23 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
CrackMonkey wrote:
mine tried to tell me that its 3 months salary. i corrected her, and she countered with "ok, 2 months, but pre-tax" she also started with "its going to have to be at least 1ct since i have long fingers" should i be worried? *omg*

Would a big flashing red light be more clear?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/17/08 7:28 p.m.

I paid $3k for mine.. I didn't get a great deal and wasn't smart. I could have gotten it cheaper.. but thinking with the weiner is an excuse..

That said. The diamond is ony a .68ct stone. But... the color and cut are perfect. clarity is near perfect. Infact every jeweler who has seen the ring has asked me where I bought the stone because it is that good.

edit===

by searching on blue nile I actually found out I did OK. D color Ideal cut, vvs1 vvs2 cut.. is like $3k for the stone only. I had mine set in a really nice solitary setting..

That said.. She wanted 1 ct.... which didn't happen..

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/17/08 7:45 p.m.

the sooner they get used to not getting everything they want the better.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/17/08 7:58 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: the sooner they get used to not getting everything they want the better.

Quote of the century!!!!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CqFPeHHcljvhv4x5SDNQRRyV1pgoTf41WsKfLb5rPJd5gANSdP3vXXTqeZQL6Ac0