1 2 3
Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/17/08 8:10 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Any downside to a titanium ring?

As a powder or in the form of metal shavings, titanium metal poses a significant fire hazard and, when heated in air, an explosion hazard. Water and carbon dioxide-based methods to extinguish fires are ineffective on burning titanium; Class D dry powder fire fighting agents must be used instead.

When used in the production or handling of chlorine, care must be taken to use titanium only in locations where it will not be exposed to dry chlorine gas which can result in a titanium/chlorine fire. Care must be taken even when titanium is used in wet chlorine due to possible unexpected drying brought about by extreme weather conditions.

Titanium can catch fire when a fresh, non-oxidized surface gets in contact with liquid oxygen. Such surfaces can appear when the oxidized surface is struck with a hard object, or when a mechanical strain causes the emergence of a crack.

in all reality, not really, lol

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/17/08 8:40 p.m.

If my wedding ring ever comes into contact with dry chlorine gas or liquid oxygen.. I'll let you know..

ugh.

bamalama
bamalama New Reader
11/17/08 8:54 p.m.

I bought an entire trio set for $400 at a going out of business sale. I was broke, and felt like such a cheapass when I did it.

I've broken my band twice, bent it once, and she doesn't wear the engagement ring anymore because it gets caught on everything. Now I'm glad I didn't spend any more than I did.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/08 9:23 p.m.

I have a fairly thick gold band with three small diamonds in it. I don't know why I picked it as I don't have any other jewelry or a watch worth more than $15 but for some reason I liked the way it felt. It also makes a nice noise when tapped against a solid object.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/17/08 9:55 p.m.
ignorant wrote: If my wedding ring ever comes into contact with dry chlorine gas or liquid oxygen.. that will be the least of my worries at that moment. ugh.

Fixed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z9QJgcev0GK5LOu9fO5YD4ntRixBTjKBGoJGcbeTV8cgtM9FTSUaA2ugmd1VbWfl