16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/17/11 6:03 p.m.

A friend of a friend does some pretty awesome stencil work, and he recently did one of the Calder art car.

Here's a video of him making one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knvLvS62qng

If anyone is interested in one, he's made a few and is asking $75 a piece for them, which is a hell of a deal considering it takes ALL DAY to make one.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
7/17/11 6:17 p.m.

That is awesome

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/17/11 7:52 p.m.

He should ask for more than $75 for it. Awesome work.

I'd think he could sell those rather well at a German car show.

The mind of an artist is really intriguing. I can't imagine thinking in that many dimensions.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/11 8:48 p.m.

I love that car. I'm striping a model for the third time that will hopefully look like that car when it's done

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/11 8:52 p.m.

Calder actually lived fairly close to me, but, unfortunately, I didn't really know much about him until after he had died.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha New Reader
7/17/11 9:30 p.m.

My son's middle name is Calder... and yes, he was named for the artist. I'm gonna see if my missus would be up for buying one.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/18/11 4:17 a.m.

That was very cool, and the finished product is awesome. I didn't realise the process was so involved.

If I could afford to spend $75 on a piece of art right now, I'd totally buy one. Alas, priorities and stuff.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/18/11 1:51 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: My son's middle name is Calder... and yes, he was named for the artist. I'm gonna see if my missus would be up for buying one.

Nice! Let me know and I'll get in contact with him about it.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/21/11 11:37 p.m.

Bringing this back up cuz Google is commemorating what would have been Calder's 113th birthday today with their logo as a Calder mobile, which, incidentally, he invented.

http://www.google.com/ With Chrome, you can "grab" it and move it around; not sure if you can do this with other browsers, though...

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/22/11 7:37 a.m.
procainestart wrote: Bringing this back up cuz Google is commemorating what would have been Calder's 113th birthday today with their logo as a Calder mobile, which, incidentally, he invented. http://www.google.com/ With Chrome, you can "grab" it and move it around; not sure if you can do this with other browsers, though...

Haha! I was actually just looking for this thread, because I was going to do the same. It took me a while to find it, because the search is down and I didn't expect it to be on the first page.

FYI, the one pictured (and in the video) is 8.5"x11", and the $75 includes framing and shipping. I talked to Wil Deny (the artist who does these), and he's planning on doing a 19"x24" of this car, but needs to sell one more small one to fund the materials for the large ones.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/22/11 9:24 a.m.

Did you notice the shadow below moves with it! Cool.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
7/22/11 11:17 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
procainestart wrote: Bringing this back up cuz Google is commemorating what would have been Calder's 113th birthday today with their logo as a Calder mobile, which, incidentally, he invented. http://www.google.com/ With Chrome, you can "grab" it and move it around; not sure if you can do this with other browsers, though...
Haha! I was actually just looking for this thread, because I was going to do the same. It took me a while to find it, because the search is down and I didn't expect it to be on the first page. FYI, the one pictured (and in the video) is 8.5"x11", and the $75 includes framing and shipping. I talked to Bil (the artist who does these), and he's planning on doing a 19"x24" of this car, but needs to sell one more small one to fund the materials for the large ones.

Would he also accept pre-payment for the large one? Surely that would cover the materials, right? How much would that be?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/11 11:21 a.m.

Interested to know the price of the larger one as well.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/22/11 4:41 p.m.

He's not completely sure yet. He's going to start making the stencils soon, so he should also have a finished product soon. He said he doesn't like taking deposits, so I'll let you all know when some are available. BTW, he's only doing a run of 6 of the big ones.

xd
xd Reader
7/22/11 5:04 p.m.

I wish I could think that many steps ahead. Your friend is brilliant. Yea get the price on the bigger one please.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/22/11 5:30 p.m.

I'm very interested in a big one too - let me know price ASAP!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/29/11 1:30 p.m.

So he's cutting the stencils for the big ones now, and with as much time as it's taking to make them, he's asking $400 for them, and only making 6. And I think he's still got one small one left for $75.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/11 9:36 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: So he's cutting the stencils for the big ones now, and with as much time as it's taking to make them, he's asking $400 for them, and only making 6. And I think he's still got one small one left for $75.

I'll take the little one for $75. Let me know the details please!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
7/29/11 9:49 p.m.

I'll backstop the smaller one if dyintorace passes or more come available. Can't swing the big one, but sure like it.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/31/11 9:45 a.m.

Here's a pic of the large one that he just finished. Oh, and the artist said that darkbuddha gets a $100 discount, since his son's middle name is Calder.

Also, dyintorace and conesare2seconds, I messaged him about the small one, and I'll let you know soon.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
7/31/11 4:03 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey: Thanks!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha New Reader
7/31/11 6:55 p.m.

My wife holds the coin for this... I'm sending her the thread again!

Love you babydoll.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/1/11 1:55 p.m.

PM's sent to conesare2seconds and dyintorace.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MW9buY7CmvGlei6bNQQuPPMQWnLX7kLcsF1n0Xo1moixF2YML3G4t09ZSOqMAV5