1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/15 5:23 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Yeah, and the guy behind the parts counter at the local hobby show will thank you.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/24/15 5:34 p.m.

I have my rc c car guys cell phone number. I've broken some stuff. And I just put a motor in my truck that's good to 100krpm on 3s....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/15 6:36 p.m.

Start gluing $10 bills to the chassis. See if that helps.

slefain
slefain UberDork
6/25/15 11:56 a.m.

Ho-lee-crap that Associated is a whole new world!

I thought my Inferno was nuts, this thing breaks traction at speed like it is nothing. It accelerates violently when it hooks up. I also now know that the manhole cover on my street is juuuust too high to drive over. It survived the somersault fairly well though, just lost two body clips.

This is not a street toy, this is a large smooth parking lot toy. I'd love a touch more ground clearance (I already have the shock spacers at max rise). I may try slightly larger tires, possibly off one of the rally car kits.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
6/25/15 4:14 p.m.

I love how big the buttons are on the dodge radio controls

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/25/15 6:08 p.m.
slefain wrote: Ho-lee-crap that Associated is a whole new world! I thought my Inferno was nuts, this thing breaks traction at speed like it is nothing. It accelerates violently when it hooks up. I also now know that the manhole cover on my street is juuuust too high to drive over. It survived the somersault fairly well though, just lost two body clips. This is not a street toy, this is a large smooth parking lot toy. I'd love a touch more ground clearance (I already have the shock spacers at max rise). I may try slightly larger tires, possibly off one of the rally car kits.

Tamiya made some rally spec tto1s back in the day. The shocks should swap pretty easily- and everything is on 12mm hexes so tires are plentiful. If you're going to off-road it though, I'd look at getting a pan cover. It's amazing what these things can suck into the gears in s short amount of time. It's the main reason I don't take my drifter offroad, the spur is open on that car and I don't want to try it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/15 12:45 a.m.

I've lunched too many spurs on the O.G. RC18 to know that spur gears attract grit like a small child.

slefain
slefain UberDork
6/26/15 8:30 a.m.

Well crap, now I've done it. I need these now:

Scale Torque-Thrust wheels with proper looking tires. Now I need to find a decent muscle car body.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/15 9:30 a.m.

I wanted this SO BAD back in the day, and now that I have googled a picture of it...I WANT ONE AGAIN!

slefain
slefain UberDork
6/29/15 7:26 a.m.

DING! We have a winner! I found the body I want.

It isn't available yet, but it should retail at $49, which is a screaming deal for a finished R/C car body. The wheelbase is within 3mm of my Team Associated Apex and is only 4mm wider, which should look about right on my chassis.

With the scale Torque Thrust wheels it should look killer!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/29/15 10:55 a.m.
slefain wrote: Ho-lee-crap that Associated is a whole new world!

Totally different world for sure. They are also significantly more reliable and durable.

Hoodpins
Hoodpins New Reader
6/29/15 11:06 a.m.
slefain wrote: Well crap, now I've done it. I need these now: Scale Torque-Thrust wheels with proper looking tires. Now I need to find a decent muscle car body.

Those are the spec tires and wheel for the Vintage Trans-Am racing class. http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html

Some of their allowed bodies are pretty good muscle car bodies. I like the McAllister Bodies http://www.mcallisterracing.com/

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
6/29/15 1:30 p.m.

I have a customer that is currently building 4 of these from scratch.......for some rather large scale b-29.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3hsNJMJqA

I think I need to build myself another warbird or biplane in the near future.

slefain
slefain UberDork
3/2/16 9:38 a.m.

Just a little fix this time. I just bought an ECX Kick Flip:

http://www.amazon.com/ECX-Kick-Desert-Truck-Scale/dp/B013E42MY0/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41cW3M-PW5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=19TESSB2ZK1V17NMSGEQ

$26 on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I'm going to give it a thorough test and if it is up to snuff, I'm going to grab a second one for my son so we can race together.

slefain
slefain UberDork
3/5/16 1:41 p.m.
slefain wrote: Just a little fix this time. I just bought an ECX Kick Flip: http://www.amazon.com/ECX-Kick-Desert-Truck-Scale/dp/B013E42MY0/ref=pd_sim_21_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41cW3M-PW5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=19TESSB2ZK1V17NMSGEQ $26 on Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I'm going to give it a thorough test and if it is up to snuff, I'm going to grab a second one for my son so we can race together.

Welp, it passed the test for driveway racing. Inside on the wood floors it just spins the tires (foam). The low/high speed switch is great for my son to start learning better RC car control. I just ordered a second car so we can race together.

I also swapped a cheap Radio Shack RC over to a 7.2v hobby grade battery pack. HUGE difference in how it runs now. Before if it ran into the grass it was stuck immediately. Now it powers through the yard like its on a mission. I love hacking cheap RC cars.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/5/16 8:09 p.m.

What size is it? There may be some neat alternative bodies available. Or hack a PVC plastic sandbox toy to fit.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
3/5/16 10:51 p.m.

Im down too just a 1/10th scale crawler. Its a cheap hobbygrade i cant remember the name of. Upgraded links and a ghetto skidplate and its a blast. Keeps up with my buddys venom.

Sold my redcat rs10 that was box stock and a ms16 crawler that was lowered with a venom fireball 280p. Was useless for crawling but made a fun mudtruck.

slefain
slefain UberDork
3/7/16 8:39 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: What size is it? There may be some neat alternative bodies available. Or hack a PVC plastic sandbox toy to fit.

It is about 4.25" long by 3.25" wide. I haven't started matching bodies up with my kids toys, but the body that is on it is poly-carbonate. It has two tiny body mounts with tiny pins. Whatever body fits on it will need to be light.

I need to put some graphite powder on the axles. Supposedly there are rubber tires available, but the supply seems spotty. I may see if Losi Micro T tires are the same size.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/7/16 12:15 p.m.

Kyosho is re-releasing the original Optima. So tempting...I already have an original one but I would really love to build a new one from a kit:

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
3/7/16 12:37 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: Kyosho is re-releasing the original Optima. So tempting...I already have an original one but I would really love to build a new one from a kit:

I did a re re rc10 worlds car. So nice to biuld a new old car!

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/7/16 12:44 p.m.

I have an old "team" RC10 chassis, I cant sell it to save my life!

I got this a few months back. Gearing changes and a 3s pack and it hauls, like scary fast....

20151223_090821

2015-12-23_09-31-10

20151223_090804

I did have a little mishap with the ESC....

20160131_170815

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
3/7/16 2:38 p.m.

stock redcat

ms16 with avalanche hardbody

and the current with the mustang body (redneck inside joke, also have a bug and dodge truck body)

electronics are all plasti dipped because i like to play in mud and water.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4VcjLnvK16CQlCmBJruanDWJYT4v7BTaSblAX4cWv6QhcQG6CLUxeh7PhCByz2A