1 2
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/11/19 4:14 p.m.
Patientzero said:

x5 for the "Utility Jugs"

I got these for $19.95 a piece at a local store(like Tractor Supply) then ordered some Sunoco stickers from Amazon.  Best fuel jug I have ever used.

Coincidentally they look IDENTICAL to the VP gas cans you can buy for double the price.

I use the VP Racing jugs exclusively now.  I have different colors for different types of fuel and run the square base jugs because they’re more stable and I can squeeze 6 gallons in them.

TR7
TR7 Reader
8/11/19 4:20 p.m.
Knurled. said:

While on the topic of "utility" jugs.

I see that the lids all have 1/2" pipe threads in them, and you can easily find shut off valves and hoses that ALMOST fit inside an unleaded fuel filler's restrictor.  I've never used one of those hoses although I did buy one.

When using a hose, how do you vent the can so that you can dump the "utility" (just bear with me, imagine Dr. Evil finger-quotes) into your car without it glugging and slowing down?    The vent position seems small and inappropriately located.  Is there a GRM-able Better Way To Do It?  I keep thinking of something like a separate vent hose that runs down to the bottom of the jug, so you can just flip the jug upside down and dump 'er in without having to mind it.  But I can't think of a decent way of implementing it.

BTW - Summit sells those same jugs, in clear, yellow, green, and purple (but not red, IIRC, red is for gasoline and these are not for gasoline) for $27.

What I do is run a hose (i think an old piece of rad hose, because it needs to be pretty large) over the vent with a hose clamp and ziptie it along the handle. When its not being used, the original cap goes on of course. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem, even fueling in lemons, its just flip and go. Super simple. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 4:25 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Sure I can retrofit the EPA thing, but I’d rather just throw it in the goddamned trash as a “berkeley you.”

Thanks again, y’all.

Try to be sure that it goes into a landfill and doesn’t get recycled, just for spite. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 4:26 p.m.

In reply to TR7 :

That IS simple.  No wonder I couldn't think of it.

I'm assuming the air just gurgles its way in, and then when you flip it back over, fuel never has a chance to spill out and run out the tube.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/11/19 4:36 p.m.
Knurled. said:

the whole nozzle comes off and I fill with a funnel.

This is what I do with my crappy nozzle can.  Its not that it leaks or is messy, its that the stupid valve broke the very first time I used it an I can't get it to dispense anything at all.

I keep meaning to get a "utility jug", but since I fill this 2.5 gallon can like once a year, I don't have a lot of reason to do so.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
8/11/19 4:40 p.m.

I go over to Windsor, Ontario and buy the old style flex spouts at Canadian Tire.wink

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/11/19 5:31 p.m.
Woody said:
poopshovel again said:

Sure I can retrofit the EPA thing, but I’d rather just throw it in the goddamned trash as a “berkeley you.”

Thanks again, y’all.

Try to be sure that it goes into a landfill and doesn’t get recycled, just for spite. 

“Recycled” means it goes to some 3rd world E36 M3-hole and tossed in the ocean. I like fishing. I’ll roll the dice on getting my cancer from the water table/air.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/19 7:18 p.m.

They aren't all crappy designs. My 1-gal No Spill jug is great. The button makes it easy to control the flow, which is especially nice for small-capacity things like chainsaws and weed whackers.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/11/19 7:43 p.m.

It seems my prophecy of "Pre-birthday party? What got set on fire?" may in fact come true.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 7:55 p.m.

Meanwhile in the third world, I have never seen one of these cans, but then I have to pay $15 for a gas station cheapo 1-gallon can and $25 for a replacement spout kit so it's not all good news.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
8/11/19 9:33 p.m.

The only thing I purchased this past weekend at the US30 garage sales were 3 old gas cans. I'm not smart enough for the new style cans. I can manage with the mower but filling the weed whacker or the chainsaw sucked. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/12/19 7:30 a.m.

In reply to dropstep :

It’s not a matter of intelligence. Even after you figure out the 3-handed juggling act, they still dump fuel all over the place.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/19 8:58 a.m.

+1 on the VP jugs, you just have to watch the O ring inside the cap. It can fall out and roll away and you don't realize and they leak.  Other than that, I have been using them for a few years.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/12/19 9:36 a.m.

Just experienced this yesterday. 

My cousin, who is a guy who you want to buy a car from not because he is mechanically inclined but because he takes it to the dealer for an oil change like clockwork and does what they tell him, thought he'd do his dad a solid and bought gas for his wave runners. 

Well, he bought regular gasoline. The waverunners need premium. Preferably ethanol free, but definitely premium. Since none of their cars take regular, he brought it down to us to use. I thought, hey! The Angie Van takes regular! 

The Angie Van now has gasoline all over the tire underneath the gas filler. And it took my dad to hold a funnel to even get to that point. HOW IS THIS BETTER???? We went and dumped it all in a metal gas can circa 1984 and put the rest into the car. Sheesh.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/19 9:41 a.m.
Patientzero said:

x5 for the "Utility Jugs"

I got these for $19.95 a piece at a local store(like Tractor Supply) then ordered some Sunoco stickers from Amazon.  Best fuel jug I have ever used.

Coincidentally they look IDENTICAL to the VP gas cans you can buy for double the price.

Smart move on the self applied sticker!  

My genuine Sunoco jug has a push-on vent cover.  Yours shows a screw on vent cover that looks much nicer.  The only other difference I see is my genuine Sunoco is foggy-clear where your jug is actually white.  That makes it still easy to see level and see the fuel color (like if you've mixed 2 cycle oil in with it)

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
8/12/19 11:59 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Mine look just like yours with fuel in them, they are just empty.  They are white but easy to see the fuel color, "foggy clear".

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/19 12:17 p.m.

I use three of these. My only complaint so far has been losing one of the spout gaskets. They are available in a 5 pack though so not a huge deal. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7g3ELJE75tvXU0nuVRDhwBI3paLYe9f3GfrYxOVXagAHmZY4qh4pAwJlIxl2ooyT