1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/11/19 7:58 a.m.

I finally gave up this morning and threw this worthless piece of E36 M3 away when it went from “environmental hazard” to “FIRE hazard.” So not only did I dump one gallon out of five on the ground/mower; now I’m dumping a big gassy plastic container in a landfill.

This was the only petition I could find. Any other suggestions from the hive?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/19 8:03 a.m.
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/19 8:04 a.m.

Utility jugs from rural king. $20 each. Get a red one and no one bats an eye at the pump.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/11/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

For me, I like the clear and the big Sunoco logo keeps people from questioning. 

Also available in smaller 3gal version

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/11/19 8:33 a.m.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/11/19 8:34 a.m.
RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/11/19 8:43 a.m.

I bought one like this, but its expensive. It nice because you can set it down while pouring.

poopshovel again
8/11/19 8:47 a.m.

Damn. You guys rule!!!

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/11/19 9:00 a.m.

This is the one upside to my grandfather never getting rid of old stuff, is all our gas cans are ancient. One of them plugs with a yellow wire nut, sure, but it's still less of a pain in the ass than the "safe" cans

poopshovel again
8/11/19 9:01 a.m.
RossD said:

I bought one like this, but its expensive. It nice because you can set it down while pouring.

No leaky leaky? Bout to pull the trigger on two of them hoes.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/11/19 9:05 a.m.

Everyone has their preference, but in general I prefer this type:

Image result for gas can

They usually come with a little "button" you have to push aside to push down on the valve lever, but I just use side cutters to remove it.  Super easy to control flow with just your thumb.

The kind with the spring loaded plunger is fantastic.... for the first three times you use it, then it gets jammed open and doesn't shut off when you pull the can away from the tank.

We had the round Eagle cans when I worked for HD rental.  Bulletproof, and relatively easy to use.  Ours had the funnels stuck on them, and the only time they didn't work well was when you were trying to get the last drips out of the can.

None of them will work well for filling a vehicle fuel tank without some kind of extension hose.

TJL
TJL Reader
8/11/19 9:27 a.m.

Replacing the spouts on most cans is good. Walmart has cheap 5 gallon cans that work ok. A spout replacement takes care of it. And you can get the “vents” to add as well. I have a pile of the 5 gallon ones for hurricanes so they dont get used much. I can deal with the frustrating cans if it means i have gas for the generator. 

We had special “safety” metal cans at work. They required at least 3 hands to use and ALWAYS left gas pouring out of the metal hose, super safe, gas, vapor and metal. 

They are extra safe now.  Threw them in the dumpster years ago. 

I looked into getting one of the large wheeled boat transfer tanks for larger quantities. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 9:36 a.m.

A few months ago at work, we stopped the firetruck behind a disabled car parked in a dangerous spot on a busy road. The woman was just walking back from the gas station with a brand new gas can as we pulled up. 

Three firemen, with a berkeleying firetruck full of tools, could not make fuel come out of this thing properly. We did manage to spill gas all over the side of her car though. We ended up pushing the car two blocks to the gas station and then walked back to the truck.

There is no way that these things are safer for anything. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/11/19 10:03 a.m.

Utility jugs FTW. The round metal ones with the spout or funnel and hand operated valve are also nice, but ~3X the cost. 

I'm fairly certain that if anyone cared to do a study the new EPA cans would come out far worse for the environment overall.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 10:12 a.m.

Yes, "utility" jugs.

The spillproof nozzles work great as long as you don't get gasoline on them.  After you use them once, the O-ring gets dry (in the sense of not lubricated) and it stops working as intended.

But it's a PITA to have to re-lube them and work them into functionality every time you use them, so the whole nozzle comes off and I fill with a funnel.  Yes, I know this makes me a horrible person.  Filling a car with a funnel probably pollutes more than driving said car for an entire year.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
8/11/19 10:23 a.m.

Once I figured out how the spout worked I’ve never leaked gas out of the spout of the cheapy one from Walmart; prior to figuring it out I had poured gasoline down the side of my pickup, car, over the rear deck of my lawn mower, the gas tank on my cushman, two stranded motorists cars, one go kart and one tractor. So yes, they suck; until you figure out how to use it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/11/19 10:33 a.m.

Once again, we blame the rule instead of crappy designs.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/19 10:48 a.m.

Well it's been over a decade, surely someone who designs these pieces of E36 M3 has used one to realize WHY they're such pieces of E36 M3. But it was a stupid rule, that I'm sure made a few people who haven't pumped their own gas in decades very rich, why the rest of us suffer wasting fuel, ruining paint, and occasionally catching an exploding can because without a vent they swell until they burst if they're in the sun.

I still can't imagine how evaporation from storage is environmentally worse than spilling fuel all over everything.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/11/19 11:12 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Once again, we blame the rule instead of crappy designs.  

I always blame crappy designs. Learned it from my grandpa. Y’all should hear him cuss these -insert you preferred racial slur- designers and the -insert your preferred racial slur- people who built them. I shouldn’t laugh but the man can string together a set of insults like I can’t believe.  

Also berk these gas cans. 

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
8/11/19 12:45 p.m.

x5 for the "Utility Jugs"

I got these for $19.95 a piece at a local store(like Tractor Supply) then ordered some Sunoco stickers from Amazon.  Best fuel jug I have ever used.

Coincidentally they look IDENTICAL to the VP gas cans you can buy for double the price.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/11/19 1:28 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
RossD said:

No leaky leaky? Bout to pull the trigger on two of them hoes.

I just bought it this spring and no leaks yet. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/19 1:37 p.m.

While on the topic of "utility" jugs.

I see that the lids all have 1/2" pipe threads in them, and you can easily find shut off valves and hoses that ALMOST fit inside an unleaded fuel filler's restrictor.  I've never used one of those hoses although I did buy one.

When using a hose, how do you vent the can so that you can dump the "utility" (just bear with me, imagine Dr. Evil finger-quotes) into your car without it glugging and slowing down?    The vent position seems small and inappropriately located.  Is there a GRM-able Better Way To Do It?  I keep thinking of something like a separate vent hose that runs down to the bottom of the jug, so you can just flip the jug upside down and dump 'er in without having to mind it.  But I can't think of a decent way of implementing it.

BTW - Summit sells those same jugs, in clear, yellow, green, and purple (but not red, IIRC, red is for gasoline and these are not for gasoline) for $27.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
8/11/19 1:49 p.m.

I was just fuming about this issue yesterday while filling the mower.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/19 3:12 p.m.

I ended up going with the VP racing "utility" jugs from Amazon. One year in, no complaints. I went with the clear ones so I can see how much is in them.

poopshovel again
8/11/19 3:36 p.m.

I have a dump-jug and it’s not a whole lot less awkward than the goofy EPA ones, at least when it comes to filling a riding mower. Gonna give that Surecan a shot.

Sure I can retrofit the EPA thing, but I’d rather just throw it in the goddamned trash as a “berkeley you.”

Thanks again, y’all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syTPUy75fn0hGgDsaOxm1cl6Kq1AuU1kCAvjM7roO28kaF6IC93x0fJb9gNTukM4