1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 ... 4667
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
8/11/10 11:38 p.m.
Powar wrote: This was my instructor's car from the track day at Nelson Ledges a few weeks ago.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3. If that's really a SAAB 99, I think I helped build it (in a front desk guy carrying parts and helping to bleed brakes for the real mechanics kinda way..).

S&J Automotive is a local SAAB indie shop here in Atlanta. The owner (Jack Baxter) was one of my Corner Worker buddies in the late 1980s. When I first hit town, I didn't have a job. I lived in the "apartment" part of my mom's house in Virginia Highlands, and Jack was one of the four or five of racing buddies who gave me a job for half a minute around here before I got hired on at (EDIT: Corporate Overlords won't let me say it out loud anymore. Lemme just say it's a "large provider of televised content for cable TV, based in Atlanta, Georgia". I'll be reckless enough to say that I like to spend money at "Ted's Montana Grille" when I can.)

Jack's whole life revolved around SAABs, (like most of the people who start a good Indie shop do!) and even though the 99 we built handled well..there was no way it would have the grunt to hunt down the other 2ltr cars winning races in ITB.

He didn't care. He was just delighted to be driving, instead of watching. And of course, all of the spectators driving 900s ( a current car at the time) pointed at it, and more important, copied the phone number off the side of the car.

Gotta plug Jack's place again, he got kicked out of the original building because of moronic real estate rental stuff before the recession.

http://www.sjauto.repair.bz/

I still laugh when I see his old location empty with "for lease" signs on it..but I'm happy that I don't work there anymore. We had so many parts cars parked on the property that I can't help but wonder how he moved them all.

I guess I need to go see the man, and ask him to tell me the story..

Not putting up a hotlink, because I need to go find my pix of that thing and upload it to my Photobucket.

Powar, sorry for writing the novel, but it really amazed me to see that car again. Can you tell me who owns it now, and how he got it? If you saw the "FTC" logo on the side of it, that was the shop's old Team Name. It stood for "Faster Than Christ", and was suggested by a man named Joe Garrison (RIP), a former SCCA Production class driver who Jack had also invited to work with us at S&J. He was an SCCA Tech Inspector when we met him. Joe was probably the one that explained to Jack how to build the car legally.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
8/12/10 12:33 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I also <3 JATO + flying barge

I miss seeing Fat Albert do that at airshows.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
8/12/10 1:26 a.m.

One of the best airshow photos I've seen in a long time. Still trying to wrap my head around how he got the pic.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
8/12/10 1:35 a.m.

Sorry....couldn't resist...

Powar
Powar Dork
8/12/10 8:52 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Powar, sorry for writing the novel, but it really amazed me to see that car again. Can you tell me who owns it now, and how he got it? If you saw the "FTC" logo on the side of it, that was the shop's old Team Name. It stood for "Faster Than Christ", and was suggested by a man named Joe Garrison (RIP), a former SCCA Production class driver who Jack had also invited to work with us at S&J. He was an SCCA Tech Inspector when we met him. Joe was probably the one that explained to Jack how to build the car legally.

I most certainly can. It is owned by Jack Baxter. (Though I'd LOVE to have it for myself) I spent some time talking to his supercool wife and helped push the car around in the parking lot at the Saab Owner's Convention in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. His daughter was there as well, driving their white 9-5 shop car.

Jack and his family rock. That car gave me more wood than most anything else at the convention. I'm very glad to have met him and had him as an instructor. If you go by the shop, tell him the guy he instructed in the 900 says 'hi'.

No need to apologize for the novel. I enjoyed it. Here's a shot that another Saaber took of Jack's car and Jack's wife standing in the background:

Here's Jack, his daughter and the car:

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/12/10 9:05 a.m.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/12/10 9:47 a.m.
nervousdog wrote: I can't imagine paying $189K for something without at least seeing it in person.

Somebody paying 190 large for that thing most likely doesn't give a crap about how it is as a car so he doesn't need to see it in person. He wants the latest status vehicle. It's expensive and hard to get - that's probably all he cares about.

fastEddie wrote: A couple of other F-4 derivatives were canned because they competed with or exceeded other "newer" planes like the SR-71, F-15 and F-18.

I lived in St. Louis in the second half of the '80s and I definitely remember seeing a number of extremely hot Phantom (technically, Phantom II) derivatives out there, both on the ground and blasting through the sky.

erasmus229
erasmus229 New Reader
8/12/10 11:51 a.m.

Just wanted to make sure this works before the big day comes! A little photo of me preparing to explore the giggle weeds.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/12/10 12:05 p.m.

ok, continue about your day

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 12:19 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: The F-4 Phantom is proof that with enough thrust, a brick will fly.

That one isn't going to fly long, I suspect.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/12/10 1:27 p.m.

JtspellS
JtspellS New Reader
8/12/10 2:34 p.m.

Yeah i like rally mazdas, just wish i could do that with my Speed3.....

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 2:49 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CekehhyTqC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvGCVMvZi6U

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/12/10 2:54 p.m.
erasmus229 wrote: Just wanted to make sure this works before the big day comes! A little photo of me preparing to explore the giggle weeds.

Is the Fling Pu racing RX-7 back in business? Oh please tell me it is!

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
8/12/10 3:07 p.m.

Todays funny from the shop, someone installed a set of e46 m3 rear shock mounts from the top side... talk about doing things the hard way.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/12/10 3:11 p.m.

because it belongs here also.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/12/10 3:27 p.m.

That was looking real good as I scrolled the picture slowly down and then I got hit with the white trash tattoo and the heels. I'll take my hookers in a lot more revealing outfits please. The girl next door doesn't deserve such treatment.

DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
8/12/10 3:37 p.m.

Careful. Girls with tattoos are rumored to have quite the temper. They don't like being called hookers.

I recommend this movie for research.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/10 3:43 p.m.

Just saw the second film last night. Better than the first...

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/12/10 4:00 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: That was looking real good as I scrolled the picture slowly down and then I got hit with the white trash tattoo and the heels. I'll take my hookers in a lot more revealing outfits please. The girl next door doesn't deserve such treatment.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Meh.........

Today's girl-next-door ain't the same as the "old" girl-next-door and that's not always a bad thing.

The top-of-the-foot tat is OK for me, but it makes one wonder what else is hidden. And I love women in heels, just not those long, pointy-toed ones.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
8/12/10 4:02 p.m.

Yup the tats are indicative of many things and make you wonder about the whole package.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/12/10 4:11 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

And that's a bad thing?

wbjones
wbjones Dork
8/12/10 5:43 p.m.

I always look for the girls with tattoos 'cause I figure they've already proved they're willing to make a spur of the moment mistake that can haunt them the rest of their life.... gives me that much more of a chance

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/12/10 8:11 p.m.

lewbud wrote: One of the best airshow photos I've seen in a long time. Still trying to wrap my head around how he got the pic.

I heart Gene Soucy, but the jet powered sailplane was the best.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/10 8:28 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I always look for the girls with tattoos 'cause I figure they've already proved they're willing to make a spur of the moment mistake that can haunt them the rest of their life.... gives me that much more of a chance

Thanks for helping me spray water all over my netbook.

Required hotlink in

1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 ... 4667

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w6Fc902ZywJ7TxcZPAOqUK1TZ0d18l25qdoLELtGfe2MOH4aweT3MKegXBbcp8N1