1 ... 2931 2932 2933 2934 2935 ... 4665
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/15 9:41 p.m.
bentwrench wrote:
Knurled wrote:
oldtin wrote:
How is that even supposed to articulate?
Just fine I'm sure. The blue piece at the bottom of the shock is a rocker, notice sway bar attached to the inside of the rocker. The shock was mounted high because it would be hard to reach the pedals if the shock was inboard. I'm more worried about the spindle this machine must be very light and low powered, and not offroad (limited travel suspension).

Look closer at how the control arms/links attach to the upright. I'm not seeing anything that will allow pivoting on more than a steering plane.

Maybe - maaybe - they figured that suspension travel was small enough and the suspension motion is coordinated enough (arms similar length, seem to converge at a nearby point) that it will never need to move more than a couple degrees so a simple bushing would suffice. Looks absolutely atrocious to me though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/1/15 11:06 p.m.

I still say the blue knuckle is just a mock up.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/2/15 5:49 a.m.

Appleseed wrote: I still say the blue knuckle is just a mock up.

Looks like a trapezoidal cut blue anodized aluminum upright. I would guess a very expensive mistake. I have one of those at my house. $10k paper weight, chrome moly load cell wire edmed on both ends with internal splines. chrome moly is very brittle on it's own folks.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/2/15 7:06 a.m.

daeman
daeman Reader
12/2/15 12:17 p.m.

Yes, the steering knuckle is blue anodised, along with a few of the other parts, read more about it Here

Related,

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/2/15 12:21 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 12:24 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 12:24 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 12:26 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/15 12:29 p.m.
daeman wrote: Yes, the steering knuckle is blue anodised, along with a few of the other parts, read more about it Here Related,

Comment on the picture in question. It's an FSAE car:
"There is a bit more bump left in it, but when these pics were taken, the ride height wasn't set. There isn't a lot of compression travel anyway because there's only about 2 inches of ground clearance before the middle of the frame bottoms out. "

I'm guessing there's a spherical bearing (loaded axially, yikes) in those outer pivot joints.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
12/2/15 12:44 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
daeman wrote: Yes, the steering knuckle is blue anodised, along with a few of the other parts, read more about it Here
Comment on the picture in question. It's an FSAE car: "There is a bit more bump left in it, but when these pics were taken, the ride height wasn't set. There isn't a lot of compression travel anyway because there's only about 2 inches of ground clearance before the middle of the frame bottoms out. " I'm guessing there's a spherical bearing (loaded axially, yikes) in those outer pivot joints.

Yup, with this photo, you can see that they must have a tiny spherical in the end of those arms. Here is the rear of the car at full compression:

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 1:40 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 1:43 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 1:44 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 1:47 p.m.

Igor Sikorsky flying early helicopter

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 1:49 p.m.

Igor at the controls

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 2:04 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/2/15 2:05 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote:

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/2/15 2:57 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/15 3:15 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:

Would you really need an annual meeting, or would you just keep returning to the same meeting at different points down your personal timeline? Might explain why there are so many of the Deloreans. It could also be really annoying meeting an older version of yourself who thinks you're a foolish kid and knows what mistakes you're going to make.

trucke
trucke Dork
12/2/15 3:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
Would you really need an annual meeting, or would you just keep returning to the same meeting at different points down your personal timeline? Might explain why there are so many of the Deloreans. It could also be really annoying meeting an older version of yourself who thinks you're a foolish kid and knows what mistakes you're going to make.

If same meeting on same date, why don't all the DMC's look new?

Love the Police Box too!

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
12/2/15 3:23 p.m.

^^^Uh oh, somebody didn't get an invite:

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
12/2/15 3:24 p.m.

Tardis

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 3:34 p.m.

Founder of Republic Aviation Alexander de Seversky with Sev-3XAR (ancestor of Thunderbolt) in 1934

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/2/15 3:43 p.m.

1 ... 2931 2932 2933 2934 2935 ... 4665

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dZiEFOtsozQXbrtCGnC2iF5PA2aRhBULAcStNmlEnQUU6WhABUTXs1DzkH0pJBfr