1 ... 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 ... 4666
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/18 9:25 p.m.

Only Kelly Johnson's Skunk Works would think of so simple of a landing. Just let it stab its steel rod nose cone into the ground. Airframe saves weight and is safe from damage until recovered.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
5/2/18 9:30 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Dang, knocked the dandruff right out of that tree. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/18 9:42 p.m.
NickD said:
Knurled. said:
Hungary Bill said:
Knurled. said:

youngster here.  explain please?  

obligatory hotlink:

Today is April 29, that is a somewhat bare Boss 429 engine.  Ford's second answer to the 426 Hemi after the SOHC 427 was deemed by Bill France to be too radical to be considered a "production" engine.

Granted, the SOHC was never actually put in a production car, so he was kind of right.  The only way to buy one was over the counter.  IIRC it was around $7000 in 1960s dollars, when any new Mustang was under $3k.

The 427 SOHC was actually being considered for NASCAR legality, and then the Mopar guys invited France to come check out the A925, which was a 426 Hemi with a 32V DOHC cylinder head. France freaked out and banned all overhead cam engines. With no race venue for the 427 SOHC to play in, Ford decided it made no sense to put it in production cars (particularly because being so massive it was going to be tough to fit in anything smaller than a Galaxie) and just made a few hundred crate motors instead. 

You know who ELSE was developing a 32 valve V8 in the 1960s?

Uh-huh.  That's right.  Oldsmobile.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/3/18 6:24 a.m.

The club I belong to is buying this Pawnee, do you know what the prop & driveshaft underneath do?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
5/3/18 6:44 a.m.

Vertical lift?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/3/18 7:03 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

gotta run the duster pump somehow...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/3/18 7:05 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

My bad.  They do share a resemblance. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/3/18 7:06 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Turn the pump for the sprayer. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/3/18 7:07 a.m.

brave, under the power lines....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/3/18 7:11 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

Pretty sure that is illegal.  At least it used to be.  Flying under bridges is too. 

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
5/3/18 8:00 a.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/3/18 8:07 a.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/18 8:55 a.m.
914Driver said:

The club I belong to is buying this Pawnee, do you know what the prop & driveshaft underneath do?

It's to eliminate any unwary crew members.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/3/18 9:08 a.m.

Mr. Bombardier's great grandfather?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/3/18 10:22 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

My dad and I nearly got hit by a guy doing that in South Georgia years ago. He was dusting 2 fields on either side of a state highway and flying UNDER the wires - across the road. We came out of the treeline into the field in an Aerostar running about 70mph and he crossed about 100' in front of us.  I like to think he was watching our approach and knew the timing....but he was below the treeline so I'm not sure that was possible.

Image result for crop duster air force

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/3/18 10:33 a.m.

NickD
NickD UberDork
5/3/18 10:35 a.m.
Knurled. said:
NickD said:
Knurled. said:
Hungary Bill said:
Knurled. said:

youngster here.  explain please?  

obligatory hotlink:

Today is April 29, that is a somewhat bare Boss 429 engine.  Ford's second answer to the 426 Hemi after the SOHC 427 was deemed by Bill France to be too radical to be considered a "production" engine.

Granted, the SOHC was never actually put in a production car, so he was kind of right.  The only way to buy one was over the counter.  IIRC it was around $7000 in 1960s dollars, when any new Mustang was under $3k.

The 427 SOHC was actually being considered for NASCAR legality, and then the Mopar guys invited France to come check out the A925, which was a 426 Hemi with a 32V DOHC cylinder head. France freaked out and banned all overhead cam engines. With no race venue for the 427 SOHC to play in, Ford decided it made no sense to put it in production cars (particularly because being so massive it was going to be tough to fit in anything smaller than a Galaxie) and just made a few hundred crate motors instead. 

You know who ELSE was developing a 32 valve V8 in the 1960s?

Uh-huh.  That's right.  Oldsmobile.

Around 1968/1969, some Olds engineers got a wild idea to go Can Am racing, so they built an all-aluminum, twin-turbocharged, mechanically-injected that made north of 700hp and dropped it in a McKee Mk.7 with an Oldsmobile Olds ST-300 Jetaway variable-pitch stator transmission setup to function as a 4-speed transmission with the stator fixed in High or Low, as well as a Ferguson-designed 4-wheel drive system. Yeah, definitely not your father's Oldsmobile. But they couldn't get the brakes to whoa down the thrust the engine generated. And then someone up the GM chain found out what they were up to and declared that they had run afoul of one of GM's racing edicts and Oldsmobile's dreams of Can-Am dominance died a swift death

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
5/4/18 5:30 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/18 6:13 a.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/18 6:42 a.m.
RossD said:

This is how Toyman got his bus/camper. By me posting a picture and a link from CL.

https://racine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1938-dittmar-rare-all/6555738562.html

That is cool. 

No I'm not going to come get it. South Carolina has bought all the Wisconsin junk it can stand. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/4/18 7:10 a.m.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/4/18 8:49 a.m.
914Driver said:

It's an air driven pump. Agrinautics still manufactures new ones for them.

There's also a few companies that manufacture spreaders.

I did some fill in A&P work at Van Sant airport at one point. They're best known for having the only Tiger Moth for rent in the world and an impressive collection of Steermans, but they also have a pretty big soaring group. They had two Pawnee's to tow the sailplanes. They're real work horses.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/18 9:07 a.m.
ultraclyde said:
stafford1500 said:

My dad and I nearly got hit by a guy doing that in South Georgia years ago. He was dusting 2 fields on either side of a state highway and flying UNDER the wires - across the road. We came out of the treeline into the field in an Aerostar running about 70mph and he crossed about 100' in front of us.  I like to think he was watching our approach and knew the timing....but he was below the treeline so I'm not sure that was possible.

Image result for crop duster air force

Aerostar? You must have been low as hell, too.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
5/4/18 12:50 p.m.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/18 7:21 p.m.

The new album from the hot new punk/ska supergroup.

Image credit goes to TheRX7Project from the "More awesome Craigslist photos" thread.

Words belong to GameboyRMH from the "Minor rant" thread.

1 ... 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 ... 4666

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSdTDrSmyM6kZzDtHfzuohfRR7efPeGlVOjNJZxYLOc8KbfQwaWpRYhevmSFE9DD