1 2
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/11/20 8:42 a.m.

Someone share a good beans recipe from dry. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/11/20 8:48 a.m.

I mainly use mine to make shredded chicken in 40 min, beans in 35 min, and rice.  Other than that I use it as a crock pot.

I need to read up on how to cook rice & chicken & veggies at the same time.  Every rice I have tried in the pot cooks way faster than the chicken does.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
2/11/20 8:49 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I've used this recipe: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fast_no_soak_beans_in_the_pressure_cooker/

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/11/20 8:49 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Black beans.  Water.  Set to high for 35 mins.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
2/11/20 9:20 a.m.

We don't use ours all that often, but when we do, it rules. I know there's science behind pressure + heat = more gooder numnums, but to me it's all dark alchemy.

We make pork shoulder in an hour. The recipe we use is pretty much just pork and a ton of citrus. Always comes out awesome.

Did a 40m Bolognese just to see how it compares to the real deal, and let me tell you what, it does. Tastes like it's been on the burner all day. 

Used it to make stock out of rotisserie chicken carcasses(and an onion) the other day, so we could make ramen. I can say with 100% certainty I'll never do it any other way again. It just bullies the flavor out of whatever you put in there. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/11/20 9:34 a.m.

In reply to ebelements :

Ooooh snap.  I was going to get a roisserie chicken this weekend anyway to make chicken salad for the coming week.  Normally I throw the carcass in the crock pot and let it simmer along for 6 to 8 hours.  Now I'm going to try your way.  Makes perfect sense.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 9:53 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Any suggestions on instapots for a family of 4? I bought a small one that met it's maker and looking for a decent one that is cheap.

These do tend to show up in garage sales fairly often. That might be the best way to get cheap as long as Kramer's wife hasn't tried to melt it :)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/20 9:54 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

Any suggestions on instapots for a family of 4? I bought a small one that met it's maker and looking for a decent one that is cheap.

Keep an eye on the Aldi ad. Theirs are great, and half the cost of instant pot.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/20 10:26 a.m.

One beef or venison roast
big can of tomatoes
two fresh tomatoes cut up
one large sweet onion sliced
tablespoon of minced garlic
salt and pepper

Sear meat first on the sear setting
pressure cook until done
pull the roast out, blend the tomato stuff and add cream and basil or dill for the best tomato/french onion bisque you've ever had.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
2/11/20 2:44 p.m.

Question on the cooking with beer: Would the alcohol vapors infuse into the food since they have nowhere else to go until the pressure is released?...Or does it all stay out of the food as a vapor that escapes when the pressure is released?

Our most common use for the instant pot is corned beef: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-corned-beef-and-cabbage/

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/11/20 4:09 p.m.

Does having a few dents  hurt anything /

The local Goodwill sometimes gets new ones with dents in the side that they sell pretty cheap .....

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/25/20 11:07 a.m.

I picked up  a Duo Nova Instant Pot from Goodwill online...it's the 3 qt version, so, a little small, but for $35 shipped I'm pleased.

I got it in yesterday and made some black beans last night. Sauteed onion, garlic and spices first, added a little water to get the 'brown bits' loose then added the beans and the rest of the water. Set to 25 minutes and it came out great.

Now I'm off to look for more ideas ;)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/20 12:05 p.m.

Beef stew = good 

beef bourguignon = great

That's about all you need to know about slow cooking I think.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 9:29 a.m.

I'm bumping this to see if anybody has anything new.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t7NiYBBw7cyV6bSDxsqsaDub6b5yTlxRhKTp12YViKuV4WlYYl89wtZJmt9ICBdh