1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
5/29/20 2:25 p.m.

I  have had the same home number for over 20 years ,   I often get calls for unknown numbers that is someone I talked to years ago...... so I answer them all.....

Yes it pisses me off when its spam ,  but now  they just use random numbers and names on the caller ID , 

And the Voice over Internet calls are mostly spam.......BUT my friend in Mexico city still uses  that and I enjoy talking with him......

So now if its spam I just put the phone next to the radio  and let them waste their time......

And Google is doing pretty good with blocking Spam emails  ,  

Stay safe

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/29/20 4:05 p.m.

For over a year my voice message has said, "Due to the high number of robo and spam calls I no longer answer calls from unrecognized numbers. If you wish to speak to me please leave a message for a return call." I very rarely get messages and the few real people who do call me think the message is awesome.

I sometimes wish I believed in hell because it would warm my soul knowing the people who invented robocalls would be going there.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/29/20 9:53 p.m.

As a day sleep/shift worker, spam calls are the bane of my existence. There was a period a few months before the coronavirus blew up where I would get 10-12 spam calls PER DAY. Everything from the IRS is going to arrest me, my Apple account has been hacked and my car warranty was about to expire. I have a Samsung Android phone and so far I have installed:

- Verizon's native call blocker

- Should I Answer

- Youmail's call filter, its part of their voicemail app

This has knocked down the amount of calls to maybe 1 per day. I can see a call come in for a second, then Should I Answer sends it directly to voicemail. My cell number is from a state I have not lived in for over 10 years. Nobody I know (or want to talk to) lives in that state anymore, so I block the entire area code. This cut the number of calls down significantly.

But in the end, I had to shut my ringer off. If it is important, they will leave a voicemail. The spam voicemails get blocked. Now I only get woken up by package deliveries and solicitors, despite having a "NO SOLICITING" sign above my doorbell angry.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/20 10:01 p.m.

did have a nice reprieve from the calls recently, which was nice. The 9th to 14th. More recent calls, but they included some actual phone calls instead of just spam and I'm to lazy to censor names/numbers.

That whole "leave it to voicemail" thing doesn't work get often, but visual voicemail makes it fun, having a transcript of a computer speaking a written message and all. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JS8IfhXGRkhE8dxhwTVwWtFZoScFONFDPNk5mNSsOHHPYewd9gRn31AuLYXY70YZ