Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/12/17 10:02 a.m.

I exchanged a couple bottles of scotch for an old town pathfinder, oars, motor mount, some paddles and life jackets.

I took it out on a lake in mn towed around while having a rod hang off the back with a big ole spoon on it and caught a big pike. No net. Had to row back to shore to land it. Haha. So how do I make this a better fishing machine for me and my kids. Also might take it take it to the boundary waters.

And don't worry I got to drink some of the scotch.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/17 10:10 a.m.

Sounds like it is already perfect. Maybe a cup holder.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/12/17 10:14 a.m.

Nice! I haven't had mine out since a warm day in February when my son and I took our Guide 147 up a creek that feeds the James River. No Scotch was involved, unfortunately.

I do intend to fashion a motor mount, as I have a decent trolling motor to put on it.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/12/17 10:14 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

This thing came with two old town motor mounts. If you live close you can borrow one.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/17 10:16 a.m.

Depending on how stable it is and depending on your kids, you may consider outriggers.

Otherwise, learn how to pick it up by the gill. Large pike will typically be more docile by the boat than small pike. I don't recommend a net for anything other than to remove the lure; they'll tangle themselves in it.

Fueled by Caffeine
7/12/17 10:18 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Sounds like it is already perfect. Maybe a cup holder.

Needs a rod holder. As trying to hold a rod with a pike on the end between your knees while you row is less than fun. Bonus is that it works better than Susan summers' thigh master

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/12/17 10:48 a.m.

Nice. For fishing I would get some rod holders. Cup holders are also a plus.

A few years back I got a free 12' that I used as a pond boat until it got a hole. I traded it to a friend for a SOG Seal Pup and he patched it with a beer can and gorilla glue.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/17 12:23 p.m.

perhaps an umbrella to keep the worst of the sun off you while fishing? This one has good reviews

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/12/17 2:14 p.m.

Find a sail rig and you can go trolling.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/12/17 3:24 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

For founder?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/12/17 5:04 p.m.

Be sure to secure all loose articles so that you won't lose them when it decides to turn turtle. wear a flotation device.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
7/12/17 6:32 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I took it out on a lake in mn towed around while having a rod hang off the back with a big ole spoon on it and caught a big pike. No net. Had to row back to shore to land it. Haha. So how do I make this a better fishing machine...

A net.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/17 8:16 p.m.

A dry bag with a change of clothes, and a towel. Seriously. Canoes will get you wet. A change of clothes can be the difference between a decent day and a really crappy one, especially early in the season when the water is cold.

A good dry bag also doubles as a flotation device for the canoe if you tie it under the seat. A lot of canoes will go to the bottom without it, doubly true if you load it down with gear. I would consider a set of float bags. You can paddle a swamped canoe to shallow water if you can keep the gunnels above water.

The only other thing I used to carry was a collapsible anchor to hold you over a fishing hole.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/12/17 9:09 p.m.

Oh, iceracer reminded me. Bungie-dealie-bobs. Look them up. Lifesavers.

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/old-scout/bungee-dealee-bob-16894

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/13/17 6:56 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

I had to open that link just to verify that the product is really called "Bungee Dealee Bob." It really is.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/17 8:46 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: A dry bag with a change of clothes, and a towel. Seriously. Canoes will get you wet. A change of clothes can be the difference between a decent day and a really crappy one, especially early in the season when the water is cold. A good dry bag also doubles as a flotation device for the canoe if you tie it under the seat. A lot of canoes will go to the bottom without it, doubly true if you load it down with gear. I would consider a set of float bags. You can paddle a swamped canoe to shallow water if you can keep the gunnels above water. The only other thing I used to carry was a collapsible anchor to hold you over a fishing hole.

I am more a fan of this type of folding anchor

Squid Folding anchor

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uDJBQk4LZoU8Cu3ljgZpgc7BFjyrjC4xpB3vvKpLVgvpupu8BDGHdEE9wcfAmdBL