Luke
Luke Dork
2/28/09 3:26 a.m.

Entire living room set made out of an Alfa Berlina.

http://www.passionsmobiles.com/files/index.php?id=56

http://giuliettas.com/2009/02/27/berlina-project-7-what-to-do-when-the-1750-goes-in-the-ti/

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Same deal, but with a BMW 2002:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

On the one hand, this looks awesome. But on the other, it seems a bit much, a bit wrong, to have an entire setting made out of a single car. Sort of like you've murdered a once-living machine and then put its neatly dissected body on display, serial-killer style (I was thinking of the "Ice truck killer" from Dexter.) I'd quite like to have just the Alfa sofa and the clock, though.

Also, the whole the shebang costs a hefty $25k, but I'm sure us grassroots types could knock up something similar on a much smaller budget.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/28/09 7:39 a.m.

one day I'll do DIY stuff like this.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/09 8:11 a.m.

As rusty as 2002's get that was probably the only life left in that car. I did go to a party once where the guy had a bar made from the front end of a 73 Cadi. Pretty nice. He'd wired up the headlights and signals so they worked.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
2/28/09 5:24 p.m.

I would imagine that those cars were still probably in useable shape, for $25k for the whole thing, there would be plenty of room to spend $5k or so on a complete running car to cut up. I dont really care for it.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
2/28/09 6:07 p.m.

not cool enough... unless a 60 inch lcd pops out pf the grille and seats have heat and massage, maybe built in surround sound..

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
2/28/09 6:48 p.m.

damn i can't find it, but i remember a while back seeing a guy make a couch out of a replica Porsche 917 front end and painting the gulf livery on it. pretty wicked

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/09 5:10 p.m.

wonder if that Alfa engine leaks oil on the floor?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/1/09 9:16 p.m.

it would be much cheaper to get a drag race fiberglass body and go at it with a cut-off wheel, then paint it and put seats in it. but the engine-block-table idea, I'd do it the way top gear does it and just use a bare block, maybe once I get into club racing and lunch an engine use that block... (anyone noticed that their table for the star/reasonably-priced-car thing is merely a sheet of glass sitting on an old bare engine block?)

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/1/09 9:32 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: wonder if that Alfa engine leaks oil on the floor?

No, but to function as a table it still requires a valve adjustment every 3 months.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/1/09 9:36 p.m.
Mental wrote:
mad_machine wrote: wonder if that Alfa engine leaks oil on the floor?
No, but to function as a table it still requires a valve adjustment every 3 months.

nice work, Mental!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/1/09 9:58 p.m.

The front and back of the BMW are from two different model years.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
3/1/09 10:53 p.m.

A buddy of mine had his 1985 Volvo 740 totaled about six years ago. Now, a significant chunk of the furniture and decor in his living room is made from the car. He mounted the grill on the wall, kept the front seats as chairs (they're comfy), and has other bits construe about.

As a slight departure, he has about two engines worth of parts scattered about his floor in various rooms. They're V8s too. Big ones. They're not exactly furniture (heads make excellent land mines when covered by clothes in walkways), but they are in his apartment living area.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
3/1/09 10:54 p.m.
Woody wrote: The front and back of the BMW are from two different model years.

!!! How do you know?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/09 11:05 a.m.

I am slowly working on turning one of the seats from my fiat into an office chair. just need an aluminum plate to bolt it all together

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/09 12:26 p.m.

A guy I know had a the entire front fascia of his old AE111 Levin hanging over the front door to a shop he opened, complete with the old license plate (the number is also his username on the local car boards). Same guy who turned into an awful scrooge and is now driving up prices on Toyota parts island-wide.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0qKDX3ZxlJRKjP79du4BRkyDTS1nBs5sDq5TV0525Eyscqf6zRaYd0cXkdPnBsJo