GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/22/15 7:41 p.m.

If this is in the wrong place on the forum please let me know or move it accordingly.

So I saw this: Car Hauler

Now they are advocating using Olds Toronados or Caddy Eldorados, both are now collectors items to some extent. Then I got to thinking. They have built countless FWD big cars since the late '70s, (when the prior ended production) so what more modern, and attainable cheaper, vehicles would work? Any of them have a stout sub-frame up front to tie in the 'trailer' section? Don't need to haul more than say ~2 tons.

Thanks!!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/22/15 7:52 p.m.

There was a thread about using minivans for this, caravans were suggested with brakes being the limiting factor I believe.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
11/22/15 7:59 p.m.

We've discussed this type of hauler a few times over the years. Pics of a Caravan based hauler hve been posted, as well as a GMC pickup cab with a FWD Torinado style drive train. In Europe this style hauler is a bit more common, I've posted pics of SAAB, Volvo and Citroen based haulers. The Citroens are very swanky BTW, that's the way that I'd go.

travellering
travellering Reader
11/22/15 8:26 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy: At our semi-local car museum. The Lane

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
11/22/15 10:38 p.m.

Arent some of the sprinter vans FWD?

GMC motorhomes

I think Clarke also made a FWD RV

Air bag the back half so it kneels for easy loading.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/15 5:46 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Arent some of the sprinter vans FWD?

This. Now that the FWD cargo vans have hit our shores, in a few years when they get cheap this should really start to become a viable idea.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/23/15 6:56 a.m.

Don't know if this is FWD or shafted to the front rear axle, plausible though.

These old motorhomes are FWD.

No idea!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8R9GDmkvShul3d3mdofAN6EFS91m0GdJvArtjlUEtvRzGmL3YIaySoXFc8oOaoKu