1 2
aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
9/23/11 5:22 a.m.

I was just thinking about various car interiors that I like (even though I own two cars that are "gutted")

Always thought the TR7 Plaid seats were the Bee's Knees.
And I like the Base-Ball stitching on the the seats of some Audi TTs.
And the simple purity of the interior of a Frogeye Sprite (all below)

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/23/11 5:59 a.m.

Agreed on all of the above!

I'll add...

The stylish simplicity of 105-series Alfas, plus cool shifter location. 1750 GTV:

Wacky Citroen interiors:

And the 'driver-centric' layout of '80s BMWs:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 6:44 a.m.

I have really come to appreciate this interior for it's "drivercentric" design

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/23/11 7:37 a.m.

I have always loved the Spyker interior

Jay
Jay SuperDork
9/23/11 10:50 a.m.

^^ Steampunk sportscar! Almost.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 11:00 a.m.

I like the crazy futuristic stuff. Like the AW11:

And FR-S concept:

The production FR-S interior isn't so futuristic but looks decent too, reminiscent of the old Toyotas (I hope a cup holder cover is available though, ugh):

The Elise isn't so futuristic but I like the clean, functional minimalism of it:

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 11:10 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That Elise shot is interesting. I don't think I have seen one that did not have white face gages. I like the black ones much better.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 11:12 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have really come to appreciate this interior for it's "drivercentric" design

The first time I sat in one of those I was instantly comfortable, very well thoght out.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/23/11 11:26 a.m.

I don't know I'd say it was my favorite, but I'll always remember the interior of our '03 Bonneville SSEi. I assume the styling idea was fighter jet cockpit. When you started the car, the gauges all swept across the dials once. At night, everything glowed orange. Buttons and lights everywhere. With the heads up display on, it was almost overwhelming.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/23/11 11:28 a.m.

My favorite:

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
9/23/11 11:37 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: My favorite:

gorgeous

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
9/23/11 12:19 p.m.

Speaking of driver centric....

Mclaren F1

donalson
donalson SuperDork
9/23/11 2:26 p.m.

one of my favs was the subaru xt turbo a friend had back in HS...

and if you have the turbo model you got the super awesome digital dash

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/23/11 2:50 p.m.

Subaru XT Turbo! Brilliant! We have a winner. That thing screamed 80's cool.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/23/11 3:10 p.m.
neckromacr wrote: Speaking of driver centric.... Mclaren F1

Handy when you can't see the front corners.

Handy when dating two women.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
9/23/11 4:46 p.m.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
9/23/11 5:50 p.m.

Interesting thread... The interior is probably half the reason I buy the cars I do. I won't buy something that doesn't look like a place I want to be. Basically I don't want to sit in my sports car, I want to wear it. That means no "greenhouses", no "light and airy", no "like a sitting room" or any other way ingrates like to describe their cars. That's not a real sports car. I don't want to be at ease, I want to feel like I'm going to be punished if I screw up. Give me black leather, a general sense of claustrophobia, high beltlines, and really crap visibility in the rear. I want the shifter to be reachable with my pinkie if I have my thumb on the steering wheel and I want coloured instruments on a BLACK background dead on in front of me. (Digidash = bonus win.) I definitely don't want to see any beige or light grey.

Here's my 944 Turbo, Porsche had the right idea:

Or my Starion:

(Both those cars are BLACK on the inside, the photos are a bit overexposed. They're not grey or faded at all.)

Here's the RUF Slantnose I posted in the hotlink thread... Same idea, but that grey steering wheel needs moar black: Yes please.

Citroen SM - leave it to France to do what nobody else even dares. That steering wheel is art.

Lotus Esprit - not leather but look at it!

Vector W8 - I love this, so retro sci-fi. All the instruments are displayed on the LCD screen.

Lancia Stratos prototype - getting off the deep end with this one, but just imagine sitting in there. Rear view? What do I need that for?!

ON THE OTHER HAND... Here are some wrong examples:

No.

NO! (Sadly also a Porsche.)

Dear god no!

Seriously? I'd practically have to give myself a handjob to change gear with that dumb shifter! Who thought that was a good idea?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/23/11 6:46 p.m.

And now for something completely different...a 1958 Pontiac Bonneville.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
9/23/11 8:45 p.m.

I'd oddly disagree with you- I think the audi (No) is the best interior there, until the bonneville.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 9:30 p.m.

OK, it's a lot of black, but I love the look.

All modern Vee Dubs are pretty hot.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 9:33 p.m.

Audi TT

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
9/23/11 9:55 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I don't know I'd say it was my favorite, but I'll always remember the interior of our '03 Bonneville SSEi. I assume the styling idea was fighter jet cockpit. When you started the car, the gauges all swept across the dials once. At night, everything glowed orange. Buttons and lights everywhere. With the heads up display on, it was almost overwhelming.

To be honest, I almost bought a 2002 Bonneville SLE. For a built-for-the-masses FWD GM car, It was one of the most comfortable to drive cars I have ever driven. Even with the archaic 3800 V6, it still had some pick up. The designers got that interior right.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
9/23/11 11:29 p.m.
Jay wrote: Interesting thread... The interior is probably half the reason I buy the cars I do. I won't buy something that doesn't look like a place I want to be. Basically I don't want to sit in my sports car, I want to wear it.

I love the CR-Z simply because the interior fits me so well. The Citroen SM is amazing, though. Those seats look like they belong in a lawyer's office.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
9/24/11 12:20 a.m.

I'd go w/ the Bee Knees plaid or this:

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
9/24/11 12:26 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: I'd go w/ the Bee Knees plaid or this:

Ugh...that poor, poor, Mustang.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners