1 ... 6 7 8
mfennell
mfennell Reader
3/11/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

It's also quite a bit easier to retrieve a car than foreclose on a home.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/16 9:45 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I do recall hearing somewhere that new car loans were averaging (there's that awful word again) around 6 years. Hence that number.
The problem with the assumption that all loans are 6 years means that all the loans 6 years ago were for 6 years. As well as for 5, 4, and 3 years ago. Just because someone claims that all loans in 2016 are 6 year loans does not mean that all loans out there from 2010 to 2016 are 6 year loans.

I just heard an advertisement touting 84 month loans on new cars. They didn't state the name of the dealer enough for it to be memorable, Kia maybe, but they were shouting 84 months as many times as they could in 60 seconds.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/11/16 10:04 a.m.

Ooof. I felt bad about financing the TSX for 48 months, but the interest was minimal.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
3/11/16 10:54 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I do recall hearing somewhere that new car loans were averaging (there's that awful word again) around 6 years. Hence that number.
The problem with the assumption that all loans are 6 years means that all the loans 6 years ago were for 6 years. As well as for 5, 4, and 3 years ago. Just because someone claims that all loans in 2016 are 6 year loans does not mean that all loans out there from 2010 to 2016 are 6 year loans.
I just heard an advertisement touting 84 month loans on new cars. They didn't state the name of the dealer enough for it to be memorable, Kia maybe, but they were shouting 84 months as many times as they could in 60 seconds.

If you need to finance a Kia for 7 years, perhaps you should be reconsidering your purchase. Unless you're getting 0.9% or some crazy good deal like that that essentially makes the use of the money "free"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/11/16 1:16 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: It also relates to the much higher % of dual-income households now vs 50 years ago.

And how income is reported. I imagine pensions used to be more common than they are now. (?)

EvanR
EvanR Dork
3/11/16 9:25 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: If you need to finance a Kia for 7 years, perhaps you should be reconsidering your purchase.

Meh, sounds like a 7-year lease to me. I'm pretty sure that at 84 months and 84,000 miles, there's enough value in your Kia to use as a down payment on your next 8-year loan :)

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1csf7hmWpwOBbgWRtOQULA5f0AKibgLx8Y3NSPnMLz1YxP5Td1WFE1sJFrVEekHt