jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/23/11 3:09 p.m.

I've been a long time lurker on this board and I know there are a few japan-o-philes here. I recently did a favor for a friend that lives in Yokohama. She wants to get me a gift, but to be honest, I'm not sure what to ask for. I want to keep the gift price around $50 US and keep the size relatively small cause she's going to have to ship it to me. Any ideas? I'd usually just go with Japanese snacks (pocky sticks, etc.), but I can get those here. So, what's better than food? Cars! She doesn't know much about cars, but she'd find pretty much anything I ask for. Thanks for the help.

Jason

jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/23/11 3:14 p.m.

I forgot to mention that cool non-car ideas would be accepted as well.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/11 3:41 p.m.

JDM Oil caps seem to be popular around here

jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/23/11 3:58 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

I've heard of those 15 extra hp jdm oil caps before...

I was thinking about a diecast, but I know the prices of those things can get pretty high pretty quickly.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
4/23/11 4:25 p.m.

The problem with the "modest" price cap of $50 is that you are thinking in terms of dollars. WhenI visited Japan in the '80s, it took nearly 200 yen to equal a dollar, it now takes "only" 80 yen to equal a dollar. A model of the Toyota 800 (I have the unopened box somewheres, just not sure that is the exact car name) had a price 25 years ago of 800 yen, or $4. If that model was still 800 yen...it would now be nearly $10 dollars.

I would think of a model (not necessarily die cast, but plastic) that is unusual, wouldn't be all that hard to find at a decent toy store. Maybe a car that is popular in Japan, but not in North America? If you like Skylines, that would be an excellent choice. Me? I'd also look at obscure "kei cars" for a possible model. Something like a Honda Beat or maybe a vintage Subaru Justy?

Near one of the bases I was assigned to in Japan was a large store devoted to auto parts and children's toys....sort of a Japanese Western Auto store (if you are old enough to know what that is).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/23/11 4:30 p.m.

1/43-scale die-cast cars are always cool and pretty much in your budget. Don't ask her for a particular make and model. Let her pick out something that's cool. (Honestly, everything sold there is always super-cool and hyper-detailed.)

There are a few stores in Akihabara that specialize in them. Tam-Tam has a huge selection and good prices, but they're not the only game in town.

Second gift idea: 40 gifts from the 100 yen store.

David S. Wallens
4/23/11 7:59 p.m.

A few more thoughts:

Japanese books and magazines are way cool, but they're printed on heavy paper stock. The shipping might get expensive.

I have seen a bunch of slot cars in Japan, but 99% are models I can get here--same packaging, even.

jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/23/11 9:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Thanks for the suggestions! I spoke with her today and she's going to check out some stores in Akihabara. I had thought about slot cars as well, but I want to keep it as simple as possible.

I actually have a Japanese magazine that's only about the Nissan s-chassis. I got it a few years ago in a Japanese market in Chicago. The layout and presentation is awesome. Me not understanding Japanese would be my only issue, but I'll probably ask for a magazine if the diecast doesn't work out.

David S. Wallens
4/23/11 9:51 p.m.

I was thinking about the slot cars as well. I don't think I have seen more than 5 slot cars in Japan that I couldn't buy here. In other words, odds are incredibly strong that she'll pay more for the same exact thing sold by my local shop.

And Akihabara is very cool. It basically has everything a 14-year-old boy think he needs: die-cast cars, manga, maid cafes, trading cards, video games, DVDs, dirty books, gashapon, cosplay stuff and more. They also have a Don Quijote, possibly the best discount store ever. Some details on that part of town: http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo/Akihabara

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
4/23/11 10:02 p.m.
Johnny Tran said: A couple of Nissan SR20's would pull a premium one week before race wars.
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/11 10:27 p.m.

Yeah, car mags and sales brochures from local dealers.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
4/24/11 8:58 a.m.

Giga pudding!!!! Look it up,and then ask her to get you some. Invite me to your place so I can try it,please!!!!

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/24/11 12:47 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-N_mW3WakU&feature=player_embedded

Yes, get some PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
4/24/11 1:34 p.m.

Cutom made chop sticks, no kidding.

David S. Wallens
4/24/11 2:39 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-N_mW3WakU&feature=player_embedded Yes, get some PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI PUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDIPUDDI

That is about $50 US. And yeah, gotta invite us all over for some.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/25/11 1:07 a.m.

I wish I could find a kit. If anyone is going to Japan and has space, I'd happily make it worth your while to bring a kit or tow back for me.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
4/25/11 4:36 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I wish I could find a kit. If anyone is going to Japan and has space, I'd happily make it worth your while to bring a kit or tow back for me.

What kind of kit? I live here.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/25/11 9:12 a.m.

The TakaraTomy Giga Pudding kit. The big one in the video. I have no idea how much shipping would run, but I expect it to run almost as much as the kit itself.

jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/26/11 7:23 p.m.

She informed me today that she got me a diecast model. It's going to be a surprise, of course. I'm kinda disappointed I didn't ask for the giga pudding... I think I've had the candy version of that stuff. Pretty good.

David S. Wallens
4/26/11 8:19 p.m.

Cool, glad she found something. Where did she get it? Or is that a surprise, too?

jros16
jros16 New Reader
4/26/11 10:03 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

She went to Akihabara. She sent me a pic of a sign that said adult amusement park in English. Seems like a pretty interesting place... lol.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/26/11 11:34 p.m.

Apparently Giga Puddi is a big flan. You can get a lot of little flans here in the US... maybe stack them on top of one another for effect.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/27/11 1:09 a.m.

Yeah, but my wife named our two new kittens Giga and Puddi, not Pile and Flan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kBnS3MkLUHL19o28Q3UVH33YgZ1nDuZhk4wGHT1R6IlQkxQHMn5FsL6bGNyrTO6u