1 ... 3 4 5 6
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/18 6:05 p.m.

If I'm in shorts, you can bet they are of the cargo variety.

If I'm not in cargo shorts, I'm in cargo pants, unless someone is getting married or is dead. Then, and only then,  I'll break out the suit. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/18 6:12 p.m.

Ok, full disclosure here...cargo shorts are pretty sexy in my book. Not as hot as black ripstop cargo pants, but still pretty hot. Just makes me want to know what's in all those pockets... Berkeley the fashion police.

Toyman01
7/9/18 6:51 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

If I'm in shorts, you can bet they are of the cargo variety.

If I'm not in cargo shorts, I'm in cargo pants, unless someone is getting married or is dead. Then, and only then,  I'll break out the suit. 

A short time later, cargo pants and work golf shirt are gone. I'm now rocking cargo shorts, a GRM shirt and sandals.

I'm 50, been married 31 years, have 4 kids and 4 grandkids. Does anyone really care what I wear. 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/9/18 10:41 p.m.

Well, I've been avoiding this thread because ... well, just because I wish it had just gone away. It's a difficult subject, but here we go: I absolutely love cargo shorts. And I have many. They're so practical. But there's a stigma now out there about cargo shorts and cargo pants being passé, out of date, out of style, and the fashion mark of a dork. Well, don't we all love to be a dork? HELL YES! So I don't berkeleying care. I wear cargo shorts whenever I damn well please. They're especially practical when I'm at an event ... like an SCCA Masters weekend. I can carry all the essential E36 M3 on my person, and there's no extra baggage. (Who thinks a fanny pack is cool?) I have a few non-cargo shorts items for "special events," where I wouldn't want want to embarrass Annie, but other than that, I LOVE CARGO SHORTS!!!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/18 11:03 p.m.

I don't own a single pair of shorts.

Not one.

I own pants.

Man pants.

I am a man.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/10/18 6:30 a.m.

I really want to try over-alls, but I’m scared I’d never go back.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/10/18 6:32 a.m.

I had cargo shorts years ago.  Never used the extra pockets? What are all y’all carrying around with you that you need so many pockets. 

Toyman01
7/10/18 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

A real man is secure enough in his position that he could walk through a airport naked and still be a man.

Clothes do not make the man, they just keep him from being arrested. cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/10/18 8:10 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I had cargo shorts years ago.  Never used the extra pockets? What are all y’all carrying around with you that you need so many pockets. 

Phone, keys, wallet, knife, wifes wallet, her phone, her keys, sunblock and lip balm.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/18 8:26 a.m.

Who berkeleying cares what someone else wears?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/10/18 8:34 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Who berkeleying cares what someone else wears?

Chicks. Surprised you didn’t know that. cheeky

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/10/18 8:40 a.m.
bobzilla said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Phone, keys, wallet, knife, wifes wallet, her phone, her keys, sunblock and lip balm.

You don't need cargo shorts.. you need a man purse

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
7/10/18 9:02 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Had them when I was a kid/teen and loved them (will not tell story of teen GF discovering 3 button easy access in movie theater)

They look great on my wife.

I own a farm.

All good reasons for me to wear overalls.

I tried a few pairs on at the TSC and they just didn't work. And I mean really didn't work which is too bad because I wanted them to.

Full disclosure: I have short legs, also a good reason why cargo shorts don't work on me (but not why they don't work on everybody else)

Carpenter shorts is really where it's at

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/10/18 5:56 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Wallet, knife, phone, keys, storage for sunglasses when not wearing them (they pull out my hair if I put them on top of my head), smokes, dog treats & random crap. Yay, no purse!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/10/18 5:58 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I think as a resident of the state of geogia, or really anywhere in the south, you're legally obligated to own one pair of overalls. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
7/10/18 6:48 p.m.

Maybe he needs some overall shorts

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/18 7:11 p.m.

All of my shorts are cargo shorts now. All of my pants, that I wear regularly, are cargo pants.

If for no other reason, I no longer have to sit on my wallet!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/11/18 7:10 a.m.

I don't currently own a pair, but informed SWMBO long ago that when she gets pregnant, I will be purchasing many pairs of cargo shorts and a pair of white new balance shoes. And there is nothing she can do to stop me. I don't currently need them, so I don't own them. All I ever carry is wallet (back pocket), phone (front pocket usually but sometimes back pocket), and leatherman (goes on belt in little leather case).

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/11/18 8:21 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Tools and fasteners mostly when I'm working in a terribly awkward or high up position.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/11/18 8:59 a.m.

I just love the fit and feel of cargo shorts. THe extra pockets are an added bonus. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/11/18 2:02 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I wear them when I go riding my atv. 

Top tip: The Old Navy ones are where it’s at. The shoulder buckle is all one piece of bent wire. Most other ones I’ve tried have the clasp on the bottom that always breaks off. This is the style you do not want:

I have several pairs that this has happened to, and they’re now held together with my daughters hair ties.

.... I also wear cargo shorts. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/18 2:19 p.m.

Best thing about cargo shorts/pants is not having to sit on your wallet & phone. Newest pair of short actually has a specialized 'pocket' behind one of the front pockets that's designed for a phone. I especially like the Duluth Trading Firehose pants front pockets that have velcro such that you can velco them 'open' by securing the flap inside the pocket.

And yeah- one of the best things about them is not having to worry about where you'll put all the crap your wife hands you when you go someplace and she decides she doesn't want to carry her purse (though thankfully most of the time with mine that just involves carrying lip balm for her).

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
7/11/18 3:12 p.m.

I had some when I was a kid, but I wouldn't wear them now even if they were free. These days all I have are levis and gym shorts for sleeping in/working out/running.

I don't hate cargo shorts, I hate carrying a bunch of stuff. My normal (full) list is phone (right front pocket), wallet (right rear), knife (right front, clipped w/ clip facing out), pen (left front). And I can do without all of it when I need to. Keys NEVER go in a pocket, can't stand that. If they must be on my person I use a carabiner to hook a belt loop, and unless I'm in a suit I don't wear a belt.  I'm not a minimalist, I just don't want to carry a bunch of stuff around and hate bulky anything, so extra stuff/pockets/flaps/layers/zips... drive me nuts.

If I absolutely need to carry more things I just use a backpack. With the exception of when I have my boy with me I sometime have his bottle in my left rear pocket.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/11/18 7:01 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Full disclosure: I have short legs, also a good reason why cargo shorts don't work on me (but not why they don't work on everybody else)

Toyman01
7/11/18 8:13 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

See, I'm the exact opposite. When I was younger, I wore nothing but Levis and Birdwell swim trunks. I grew up in them. Winter was Levis, summer was Birdwells. The thought of wearing anything different was an anathema to me. 

Then, at the age of 35, I went to work for a company that supplied and expected you to wear cargo pants every day. So much to my dismay, that's what I wore for the year and a half I worked for them. Then an amazing thing happened. I found I had started wearing my work pants even when I wasn't at work. Not because I didn't have jeans to wear, but because the cargo pants were so much cooler and more comfortable. Before I knew it I tried a pair of cargo shorts and that was the end. If the temps are above 80 and I'm not required to wear long pants, I'm in cargo shorts. I even wear cargo shorts to work on occasion. Even the Birdwell trunks fell by the wayside. Mostly because they look ridiculous on a old fat guy, but also because they aren't very comfortable either. 

Caution: There may be some hyperbole or exaggeration in the previous statement. But not much. wink

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g7TwqRUt6lsWe8kq1WVTPnrJIqMO82UipYDYa56yQBbx5ftFJw8u0aoDlCj77ddH