1 2 3 4
fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
7/1/10 8:41 p.m.

Frankly the new series of Ford commercials is quite scary. Not a word about the cars; just the toys that are offered as options.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
7/1/10 8:43 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Blue Triumph Spitfire. They're attracted to it like flies to a bugzapper.

I had a mustard TR6 when I had just graduated high school and women LOVED the thing. If only I knew then what I now know and looked like I did then when I was me now.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
7/2/10 6:53 a.m.
fastmiata wrote: Frankly the new series of Ford commercials is quite scary. Not a word about the cars; just the toys that are offered as options.

I've noticed that. And it's not just Ford. Seems every manufacturer is working to make their product lineup as homogeneous as possible. You can buy your transportation appliance in Small, Medium, or Large and personalize it to your taste with one of our accessory packages. Gaaaack!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/2/10 7:40 a.m.
Lesley wrote: In reply to 914Driver: Are you sure it wasn't King Tut's wang?

Nah, his would be petrified, this one just flopped around according to reports.

midknight
midknight Reader
7/2/10 1:09 p.m.

I'd have to agree with the Mini as well. But Boston in early spring with a Fiat Spider as a freshman in college pulled a lot of sweet honeys.

LopRacer
LopRacer New Reader
7/4/10 10:51 a.m.

I would say Highschool and half of college driving a 1974 VW Thing was a bit of an experience. The girls loved that car, not so much me as the car, and I could carry 6-7 of them in it in a pinch with the top down.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/4/10 7:01 p.m.

Almost 40, and if I wasn't hoplessly in love with Ms Mental, my 72 Midget would be a weapon. Ladies of all ages love it (so do kids) and I suspect it is obvious I am not compensating. It's not a "dropper" by any stretch, but it is a military grade attention getter and ice breaker.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/4/10 8:30 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Of course I was only half as old then as I am now.
Shaun wrote: If only I knew then what I now know and looked like I did then when I was me now.

"I was so much older then I'm younger than that now"

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/4/10 9:48 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: Of course I was only half as old then as I am now.
Shaun wrote: If only I knew then what I now know and looked like I did then when I was me now.
"I was so much older then I'm younger than that now"

And that puts another quarter into the GRM Jukebox..
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4hpcm_my-back-pages-the-byrds_music

The only women who've ever liked anything I ever drove were the few ladies I've met who were already enthusiasts. That being said...

Q: What do boys like better than girls?
A: Girls who like cars.

That's a question the survey missed. "Men don't find women less attactive", blah blah blah.. Bah. No, I don't find them less attractive-but I do consider a lady enthusiast more attractive than the average woman. Leslie, I'm sure you'd still "catch my eye" in the 323...but if I saw you doing some obviously "gearhead" stuff in a car, that might be enough to embolden me to try to make contact, rather than just look at you and sigh.

Only woman that's ever stopped me to talk about my Corrado actually used to drive one. If I wasn't already attached to someone, that would have become an excuse to run out for coffee together.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/10 10:32 a.m.

Boys do like gals who are wearin' GRM t-shirts, I can tell ya that much.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/5/10 1:25 p.m.
fastmiata wrote: Frankly the new series of Ford commercials is quite scary. Not a word about the cars; just the toys that are offered as options.

I've noticed that there are a lot of new car ads that only speak about safety features. Nothing else. Just safety. (Most notably a recent Subaru ad, I don't even know what car they were selling.)

It seems that people primarily buy cars for the purpose of smashing them into things.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/5/10 3:47 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
I've noticed that there are a lot of new car ads that only speak about safety features. Nothing else. Just safety. (Most notably a recent Subaru ad, I don't even know what car they were selling.) It seems that people primarily buy cars for the purpose of smashing them into things.

The Subaru commercial is more a brand image then buy a certain model. The car that was featured was that abortion of a new Legacy.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
7/12/10 4:24 p.m.

A good friend of mine was a female Army officer who drove an old truck. If she didn't have a date for a Saturday night, she'd go out to the truck Saturday morning, open the hood, and just fiddle with stuff. She said it usually took 15 minutes for her first proposal and within an hour she typically had her choice of evening activities... ;-)

Matt B
Matt B Reader
7/12/10 8:28 p.m.

This whole discussion centers around the very reason I married my wife. She is fluent in automotive-nerd and can out-drive almost any of my friends. She is also intent on embarrassing me at autox.

God I love that woman.

I want to give all the "ladies of the wheel" a nod of respect. There are not enough of you out there.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
7/12/10 11:22 p.m.

that Scooby 360 in the $2010 thread would totally be a chick magnet.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
7/12/10 11:36 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I know I'm not the typical female, but for me it's really big trucks. I'm talkin' REALLY big.

Best picture on intrawebzzzzzevar !

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/12/10 11:42 p.m.

Once I got a complement from a female co-worker on my car. I think she was just impressed with stipes, alloys, and the wing... All factory features

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
7/13/10 9:05 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: I think she was just impressed with stipes, alloys, and the wing... All factory features

On you or the car? ;-)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/10 11:22 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I prefer station wagons, and 4 door hatchbacks. For some odd reason, I was single til I was 26.

I only drive hatchbacks (granted a turbo saab and a BMW) and I am single at almost 40

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
7/13/10 11:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
mndsm wrote: I prefer station wagons, and 4 door hatchbacks. For some odd reason, I was single til I was 26.
I only drive hatchbacks (granted a turbo saab and a BMW) and I am single at almost 40

hmm, so maybe you need a little more junk in your trunk? damn, is that what girls like?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/13/10 11:30 a.m.

So if that was true why is my girl friend likes my Olds and she loves old muscle cars and hardly looks twice at anything modern and small?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/13/10 12:30 p.m.

In reply to carzan: Ditto when I take out the '79 Spitfire. AND there's a woman around here whose summer DD is a AH Midget.!

Now out on the left coast, all things said about expensive cars= women. SSOOOOOO true.!

friedgreencorrado
7/13/10 9:37 p.m.
triumph5 wrote: In reply to carzan: Ditto when I take out the '79 Spitfire. AND there's a woman around here whose summer DD is a AH Midget.!

Hmmm. 1500cc Spit vs. BMC A-Block Midget (just a guess, since you said AH, instead of MG ). Sounds like you got to get your game together, if you haven't caught her yet, dude. Of course, if she's outrunning you with less displacement, you should chase her even harder!

triumph5 wrote: Now out on the left coast, all things said about expensive cars= women. SSOOOOOO true.!

Oooh. I hate to hear that. Surely things aren't so bad that all women out there are that shallow?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
7/13/10 9:45 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
triumph5 wrote: In reply to carzan: Ditto when I take out the '79 Spitfire. AND there's a woman around here whose summer DD is a AH Midget.!
Hmmm. 1500cc Spit vs. BMC A-Block Midget (just a guess, since you said AH, instead of MG ). Sounds like you got to get your game together, if you haven't caught her yet, dude. Of course, if she's outrunning you with less displacement, you should chase her even harder!

Hah!

On that note, I've spotted a cute girl leaving campus in a blue Fiat X1/9 a couple of times. Must try and "bump into" her sometime.

friedgreencorrado
7/13/10 11:09 p.m.
Luke wrote: Hah! On that note, I've spotted a cute girl leaving campus in a blue Fiat X1/9 a couple of times. Must try and "bump into" her sometime.

Okay, I was just gonna shut up, but...

One of the best moments of my life was back when I was a Corner Worker (that's the US term, the civilized world usually calls us "marshalls") in the Southeastern US. Back then (late 1980s-early 1990s), my local SCCA region (Atlanta) had a deal with Road Atlanta where we could use the track for club events for free, as long as we provided workers (corner marshalls, grid, registration, etc.) for the pro races at the facility. There was also a weekend "allegedly" picked at random over the course of the year when all us amateurs would help the track staff rebuild tire walls, repair & repaint corner marshall stations, and do some of the other dirty jobs that must be done to insure that a racetrack was a "hearty and healthy" place for our sport.

I said "alleged", because at the time, the SCCA National Amateur Championship ("The Runoffs") was held at Rd. A. The weekend the track management picked for our "work weekend" was usually right before The Runoffs came to town.

It didn't bother me one bit..I loved trying to get the place back together for my club's most outstanding event. And also...(this is where the stuff about the ladies comes back! )

We were allowed to take our street cars onto the track to access our work areas, and after the work was done, we were also allowed to take a few laps around the place at 6/10ths or so.

Guys, if you're heterosexual, and a car guy, there is nothing on Earth like running around a racetrack with a lady enthusiast in the "other car". It was like dancing with her. It was like making love to her! She had her 3rd Gen Camaro (the "Berlinetta" with the 305 V8 and a slushbox!-but had the current BF Goodrich DOT race tires on it), and I was in my old Grey Market BMW E21 6-cyl (G'year Eagle NTs). She knew the line, but couldn't shift. Still, all that V8 torque gave her an edge. I rowed my gearbox like crazy everywhere on the circuit, and I'd catch her at the turn-in and apexes, but she'd just skitter away from me again on the exit. I could see her looking up into her mirror, and grinning like a bandit as her tail-lights shrunk away from me.

We're still friends, dang near 25yrs later. And we still talk about the day we spent dancing together at Road Atlanta.

Sorry about the length of the post, y'all. And if ECM is still listening, please wear that GRM T-shirt, and tell me which HPDE you're attending next? It might make your hubby feel better if he can threaten somebody with a tire iron again..

EDIT! Damn, I nearly forgot: Luke, I'm suggesting that "the moral of the story" is to go look for that girl, and find out. Even if it ain't "forever and ever", it might be fun. And it damn sure beats spending that much effort on a girl who doesn't care about our sport at all.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X6mobSLZ8uZ3Ebq62neCor8PsLIqEybPAqdQkEJ2keHJzKkplJxHxxfugM59nnWu