KatieSuddard DaughterDork
July 22, 2015 12:39 p.m.

Even cats know that Miata is the answer.

JoeyM Mod Squad
July 22, 2015 1:10 p.m.

That's actually, "Watch me warm my belly on the black surface, right before I shred it with my claws!" Cats cannot be trusted. My opinion might be slightly biased since I decided that today was "bring your tiny defenseless parrot to work" day as he supervised working in the greenhouse

DaveEstey PowerDork
July 22, 2015 2:07 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM: What an awesome day for the bird!

The cats figured out quickly to stay off my Miata via blast of water from a hose.

Cotton UberDork
July 22, 2015 2:32 p.m.

My cats get all over my cars, some pretty valuable. They have decent covers on them and have never been damaged, so I'm cool with it. Larry prefers the numbers matching 71 Chevelle 454ss, while Gwinnie is partial to air cooled 911s.

Duke MegaDork
July 22, 2015 2:43 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Defenseless?! A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. Defenseless is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.

KatieSuddard DaughterDork
July 22, 2015 2:43 p.m.

Haha, there was a white cat that used to sleep on my old soft-top e30... I never caught him, but the top was black.

Lancer007 Dork
July 22, 2015 2:45 p.m.

On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

Ian F MegaDork
July 22, 2015 2:49 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

That's what I try to believe when I look at the paw prints all over the Mini and GT6...

bgkast UberDork
July 22, 2015 2:50 p.m.

Miatas really pull in the Bob Costas

Somebody had to say it!

JoeyM Mod Squad
July 22, 2015 2:56 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to JoeyM: *Defenseless?!* A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. *Defenseless* is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.

There are big species for which that's certainly true[+] but this is a little Hahn's macaw. He can certainly nip and draw blood if he feels like it - which is why I tell people to not try to touch him - but is too little to do major damage.

--
[+] - someone I know who keeps parrots told me that he once saw a hyacinth macaw bite through chain link. It makes sense; one of their favorite foods is brazil nuts, and you need some force to open those things.

Cotton UberDork
July 22, 2015 3:03 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote: On the upside, no mice will come snuffing around the car while its parked.

True, I've had no more chewed wiring in my shop since the kitties moved in. However, I routinely walk out to dead squirrels, birds, and mice, so have to clean that mess up.

DrBoost UltimaDork
July 22, 2015 3:58 p.m.

I know this has been posted here before, but it just needs to be in this thread. Blackey McLaser-eyes

mad_machine MegaDork
July 22, 2015 4:05 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to JoeyM: *Defenseless?!* A very good friend of mine, who has a number of large birds of varying species, once described them as "a family of somewhat autistic children with bolt cutters for mouths." I've seen first hand what they can do when they're bored, let alone angry. *Defenseless* is not a word I would use to describe a parrot.

There are big species for which that's certainly true[+] but this is a little Hahn's macaw. He can certainly nip and draw blood if he feels like it - which is why I tell people to not try to touch him - but is too little to do major damage.

--

Sounds like my conure. She is very sweet and will sit on my shoulders and neck for hours.. Preening my hair and ears.. But not even I can get a finger near her beak.

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
July 22, 2015 6:07 p.m.

I should have taken a photo, but the other morning I found some locked-up paw prints on the wagon's windshield.

travellering Reader
July 22, 2015 6:53 p.m.

This is what the neighbor's Bob Costas has done to the car cover on our SAAB convertible.

grafmiata SuperDork
July 22, 2015 11:12 p.m.

Gary, one of the cats that used to live next-door, always enjoyed lounging in my red Miata.

He never really cared for the Mariner Blue or white one. I have no idea why. photo Picture042.jpg

N Sperlo MegaDork
July 23, 2015 7:00 a.m.

The barn cats like to get into the crown vic when I leave the windows just a few inches down. Quite impressive. They like the bodily-fluid-resistant vinyl rear seats.

RossD PowerDork
July 23, 2015 7:30 a.m.

Here's Nitro helping from the hood of my Marq.

pinchvalve MegaDork
July 23, 2015 8:04 a.m.

My cat has a cat door to the garage, and often sleeps on my motorcycle seat. One night she got a little ill and vomited from the seat, all down one side of the bike.
Cat Vomit 1
Then she decided that it looked kinda cool, and proceeded to turn around and vomit all down the other side. Yuck.

Cat Vomit 1

Cotton UberDork
July 23, 2015 8:56 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

bet that smelled excellent burning off the pipe.

Duke MegaDork
July 23, 2015 9:03 a.m.

My cats like the high-altitude hurling thing, too.

Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
July 23, 2015 9:04 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Oh man. That is terrible. Also the cats in my dad's shop are pretty annoying when it comes to tracking crap on the cars. However, sometimes it actually looks like they did their part to clean some. That's when you know you need to get to some spring cleaning.

Brett_Murphy PowerDork
July 23, 2015 2:06 p.m.

One of the neighborhood cats has taken to laying on my Miata's soft top. Yesterday she ripped the corner of the window out.

Time to try a repair with some Marine Goo.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
July 23, 2015 3:49 p.m.
travellering wrote: This is what the neighbor's Bob Costas has done to the car cover on our SAAB convertible.

That kind of cover degrades in the sun after about two years regardless.

travellering Reader
July 23, 2015 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Any recommendations for better ones? We have a slight car hoarding problem, and currently have three Citroens, the aforementioned SAABvertible 900, an SPG, a 9000, and a classic mini currently needing all-weather protection..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

20 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

20 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

1 day ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

2 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

3 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

3 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
XcdalBBvuO5WQq1kqbKSbTeG8bjzBf0V