gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/11/18 6:05 p.m.

One of my plans for this fall or winter was to build myself a proper woodworking bench. Using things like hand planes just doesn't work when you have an old door on sawhorses like I usually use for a bench. So when I found this on CL I jumped on it. I definitely have a major soft spot for heavy duty antique woodworking tools.

I was surprised when I got there to buy it because it was about twice the size I was expecting from the pictures on his ad. You can use the soda can in the first pic for reference, this thing is a monster. Its also much more heavily built than the foreign ones on the market today (which cost four times what I paid for this). I thought about disassembling, cleaning, sandblasting, and painting it, but I think I'm going to leave it alone. It has a nice well worn "lived in" look  that I'm really digging.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/11/18 6:16 p.m.

Very cool. I too have a fondness for old tools. If you do decide to clean it, please don't sandblast it. I personally wouldn't do much more than apply a nice coat of oil to it, and of course, use it as it was intended! yes

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/11/18 8:18 p.m.

I have a similar one.  It comes in handy.  There is no name on mine and I don’t remember where I bought it   

I built the workbench from some Popular Mechanics plan from the 1950’s my dad and grandfather used.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
8/11/18 10:12 p.m.

I’ll have to get some pics from work on Monday.  We have a few big old vices of the type.  

Nice find!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
8/12/18 7:18 a.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/12/18 7:33 a.m.

I would clean it up and repaint it - yes, it is old and cool but it will be a nice tool to use once "restored". 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/12/18 9:12 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I think I'm just gonna shine up and lube the two smooth rails. It says on there to not lube the acme thread piece. I assume it is because the quick release mechanism needs a certain amount of friction to function.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K1SW8AqKJI7uW1TXhnFLlkuXdjTw0r6bPFT1l5psJPVU5XcBhey1TsY0A8ak6jbV