DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/10/14 11:42 a.m.

There are two things that are still shocking (do you see what I did there?):
1- the Volt is popular on this board. Much more popular than I ever would have expected.
2- even more shocking is that I'd consider getting one.
I don't like GM, but I'm actually thinking about replacing our minivan with one. I have two questions though.
1- is the back seat reasonable for three kids to use regularly? the oldest kid it 12.
2- What about the volt as a used car?
More on that second question. Are they proving to be reliable do you guys and girls? What about the charging station? Didn't you have one installed in your garage, and would you expect that to go with the car when it's sold?

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
8/10/14 12:02 p.m.

The back seat is divided by a centre console - one of the most limiting features of the Volt is that it only seats two rear passengers. I only had one for a week, and used a regular household plug to charge it. First time, it blew the breaker in my 100-year-old house. Found an outlet that it did like, and it charged fine over 8 hours.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/10/14 12:19 p.m.

Eek, the 4-seater prospect blows it outta the water.
It's all for the best anyway. I've dumped on GM for 2 decades. If I went and bought one, I'd have some 'splainin to do.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/10/14 2:30 p.m.

Yep, as said, seats only four. Same for Caddy ELR.

I haven't driven the following, but there are other options available now, with somewhat similar drivetrains.

Look at Ford Energi versions of the C-Maxx and Fusion. Also the Honda Accord plug-in and Prius plug-in. BMW i3 with range extender actually offers more range than the Volt, but with a tiny gas tank.

Regarding charging, unless you have specific reason to do so, don't buy a Level 2 EVSE to charge a car that can burn gas. I've almost never failed to have a fully charged car in the morning.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vSNbjz3ZdbJrR8z2RaE3ObD25jgrXQzHUTVrlSm2QLXCySjpyGq7eexbVWy0gFOU