1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/28/18 12:27 p.m.

I had back pain about four years ago for a few weeks, and that went away. I've always had crappy knees, but otherwise I've been OK until last week when I fell on the ground trying to stand up and couldn't get up again. The pain is gone now, but wow did it suck.

I'm 35. I called my good friend, who happens to be a chiropractor, and he sent me to the guy who does his adjustments, due to geography I can't see him directly.

Just got my X-rays back. My spine is curved too much in lumbar by 2", my neck has no curvature, I have arthritis, and five subluxated vertebrae.

Is going and getting adjusted multiple times per week for to fix this, or is it all snake oil uselessness?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 12:29 p.m.

"Subluxations" = QUACK ALERT, RUN AWAY!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 12:33 p.m.

Chiropractic is the kind of medicine that people who are really into that kind of medicine are really into.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/28/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

It's the crossfit of medicine

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/28/18 12:39 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

huh? I'm pretty sure that's a real word

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subluxation

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/18 12:40 p.m.

I have never been to a chiropractor myself, but I know people who go all the time.

And that's the thing.  Nobody goes to the chiropractor ONCE.  Once you start getting adjusted, you can't ever stop.  It seems to develop like an addiction.  In fact, out of a dozen people I know who see them regularly, 2 have actually quit well-paying jobs to try to become chiropractors themselves. 

If I was in chronic pain, I might have a different opinion... but from my outsider perspective, it's kind of like becoming a Scientologist.  Once you're in, you're in forever, and it's expensive to stay in and hard to get out.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
2/28/18 12:46 p.m.

Do you do any stretching on your own at this point? I was not and went to see a physical therapist when my knee complained too loudly. They laughed at my inflexibility and got me started on basic stretches and joint strengthening.  Not only did my knee improve a ton but the old man back syndrome has gone away as well.

My point is there are improvements to be made from taking care of your muscles, but I don't know if someone standing on them multiple times a week is the best. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 12:46 p.m.
tuna55 said:
GameboyRMH said:

huh? I'm pretty sure that's a real word

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subluxation

It's a real word for a fake thing made up by quacks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebral_subluxation

If you had real multiple subluxations, a MD could confirm them on an X-ray, and you'd be too messed up to take yourself to a chiropractor in the first place.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/28/18 12:52 p.m.

I’ve reviewed the medical records of hundreds of people and have some family whose business it is to help people with injuries.  Here’s my opinion from what I’ve observed  

About 10% of Chiros are any good.  The majority are useless.  The last 10% can cause significant harm.  I rarely see anyone that goes to a Chiro get better any sooner than they would have if they hadn’t been.  If your spine is out of whack it is probably because the muscles are a mess and pulling it that way.  You’re better off with a good PT and some deep tissue massage to get those tight muscles fixed.  

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
2/28/18 12:54 p.m.

I like this thread mostly because people I respect and trust are confirming what I already believe.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/18 1:02 p.m.

I go to a chiropractor on occasion. He said that he knew before he finished that what they were teaching him in school was bogus. 

He works on muscle strength and flexibility. When I asked him when I need to come back, he replied, "When you need to."

My recommendation to you is to get physical therapy. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
2/28/18 1:11 p.m.

Right guy/gal = amazing. Most that I have been to are acceptable. A couple have been useless. 1 and only 1 had the most amazing ability to get people to relax - he was famous in our town. A true phenom.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/28/18 1:18 p.m.

I go once in a while, in fact I was there on Monday because my neck and shoulders were so tight over the weekend I could hardly move my head.  Honestly, the adjustments do nothing for me, but this office happens to have some great massage therapists.  When I go for a massage, I have to get an adjustment or my insurance won't pay for the visit.  And yes, the massage helped a lot.

But I've also done physical therapy for my various back and neck issues.  Some of the techniques are similar, but PT emphasizes building up strength to not only relieve the pain, but keep it from coming back. 

I like to describe PT as chiropractic with actual science behind it.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
2/28/18 1:20 p.m.

A few weeks ago I got a spasm in my neck/shoulder getting ready for work.  I got about 2 miles in to my commute when I realized I wouldn't be able to work because of the pain.  I couldn't turn my head or even rest it against the headrest in the car.   Turned around and drove home. Unfortunately I've experienced this many times and it usually haunts me for 2-6 weeks afterwards.

I decided to call a close friend who is a chiro for a last minute appointment.  I hadn't been to a chiro for at least 4 years but thought it was worth a try.  A few minutes of adjustment, tissue work, and ice made great improvements.  I got about 70% of mobility back in my neck walking out of the visit..  Next morning was up to 90% and then 100% within a couple of days.

I've used many of them over the years and got mixed results.  The chiropractors that study physical therapy and sports medicine are the ones to use. 

Since my insurance covers up to 25 visits a year I plan on making it a routine appointment.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/28/18 1:23 p.m.

I'm a dentist and have the resulting neck/back issues.  I can tell when I've knocked something out of whack.  It feels like I need to "pop" a knuckle.  Sometimes I can do it myself and its all good.  When I can't I go to a chiro so they can pop it for me.  I went a bunch before I had back surgery.  I'd (unknowingly) broken a disc in my back, it was cracked and would move around.  They'd be able to move things back into place.  Finally it broke, an MRI showed it and I had surgery.  Very minimal visits to a chiro since then.

Lots of what I hear from them is pure quackery.  I was in a business networking group that had one in it and he claimed he could cure head colds!  Um, yeah, you're going to cure a virus by adjusting my neck.  Nope...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/18 1:24 p.m.
NEALSMO said:

I've used many of them over the years and got mixed results.  The chiropractors that study physical therapy and sports medicine are the ones to use.

...because those are the things that actually work.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/28/18 1:31 p.m.

The best chiro I’ve been to was more into exercise therapy than chiropractic.  Find someone who’s into getting you to do the exercises More than making fireworks sounds in your back. 

Ive been to a lot of them. My dad thought that chiropractic could cure my food allergies when I was a kid.   That must have cost a lot. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/28/18 1:40 p.m.

Wow, more controversy than I expected. I'm going to ask my doc for a second opinion on the X rays at least. From what I understand, the question "Will adjusting the spine to be the right shape actually help the back pain?" has not been definitely proven.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
2/28/18 1:41 p.m.

I once asked why a massage therapist can charge $65-$120 for 60 minutes when a chiropractor is usually cheaper, a DO is not much more expensive (with insurance) and physical therapists are right around the same price. 

The folks I was asking were mostly massage therapists and were highly insulted. 

I still think they charge too much. 

Then again, I massage therapist or chiropractor simple say "doesn't that feel better, come back next week!" 

A physical therapist says "do these exercises for a few weeks, stand up with better posture." 

A Ostepathic Doctor says "eat better, exercise more, have better posture, and oh, take this for your blood pressure." 

So maybe you're just paying more to not be told what to do.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 1:50 p.m.

My guy is good, I believe most are not.  I went from chronic pain and almost disabling problems to being able to kick ass at work like it’s 15 years ago.  I go once a week to keep things right.  I think if someone claims they’re going to fix you in a couple visits like my wife’s uncle told, then they’re a quack.  It’s an ongoing maintenance thing for me in my line of work, and it’s changed my quality of life incredibly.  I do the things i’m supposed to do.  He doesn’t use silly made up terms and also employs a physical therapist to teach the correct stretches.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/28/18 1:52 p.m.
Patrick said:

My guy is good, I believe most are not.  I went from chronic pain and almost disabling problems to being able to kick ass at work like it’s 15 years ago.  I go once a week to keep things right.  I think if someone claims they’re going to fix you in a couple visits like my wife’s uncle told, then they’re a quack.  It’s an ongoing maintenance thing for me in my line of work, and it’s changed my quality of life incredibly 

it's going to take forever, 3x a week for 3 months.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 1:54 p.m.
tuna55 said:
Patrick said:

My guy is good, I believe most are not.  I went from chronic pain and almost disabling problems to being able to kick ass at work like it’s 15 years ago.  I go once a week to keep things right.  I think if someone claims they’re going to fix you in a couple visits like my wife’s uncle told, then they’re a quack.  It’s an ongoing maintenance thing for me in my line of work, and it’s changed my quality of life incredibly 

it's going to take forever, 3x a week for 3 months.

Initially I went 3x a week for a month, then 2x for a month, then 1x now i go as needed.  My lower back was all jacked up from driving a van with a destroyed seat on top of work

Carson
Carson Dork
2/28/18 2:02 p.m.

When I was a kid, I'd go with my mother occasionally to her chiro appointments and I once got epically grounded for grabbing the doc's 1:1 scale plastic spine/hip display, strummed it like a guitar, and shouted "THIS IS SPINAL TAP!"

It couldn't've NOT been done, no regrets.

I've had similar neck and back pains as described by others in this thread and the solution for me was PT, massage, and stretching.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/28/18 2:11 p.m.

I injured my mid-back forty years ago fallinng down a stairway... .  It hurt.  A lot.  Being young, it got better after a few weeks and I more or less forgot about it. 

I ended up changing carriers a few years later and went from an office job to one where I was standing all day long.  My back started hurting.  It pretty much all day, everyday... for years.  I visited some chiropractors, but they only provided a few hours of relief after a visit.  Basically, gave up on the whole idea of chiropractors as hokum.

About eight years ago, my step-daughter started working for a chiropractor.  She mentioned my problem in passing to her boss one day.  Boss suggests that I come in an see her.  After an exam and x-ray, she said I had problems similar to yours.  Told me she thought she could help and asked if I wanted her to make it feel better or to fix the problem.  I told her to try to fix it.

Went to see her three times a week for six months.  She did focused traction, adjustments, and machine massage.  After she was done, my back didn't hurt.  It still doesn't after seven years.  Her website says that she practices Chiropractic Biophysics.  Whatever she does, it helped me.

Of course, YMMV

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 2:14 p.m.
Armitage said:

I like this thread mostly because people I respect and trust are confirming what I already believe.

Go ahead, ask us what kind of car you should buy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WUBO3hNYOMYT6E6xDHYnd0ZNSsPSDVDCDjll6aLMIzRb72c4lWpPNK40FgoAOVlO