Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/27/08 9:18 a.m.

:evil:

So is everyone doomed to get scammer emails every single day after posting things to craigslist? I've only gotten emails from addresses that have a different reply to address from @fresnomail.com extensions.

What a pain. I have a hard time believing this can be lucrative for these hacks. It never seemed to be this bad before.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/27/08 11:06 a.m.

I just posted some stuff on CL last week. I got one legit hit (and a sale) and one scammer.

He was pretty pathetic too as far as obviousness ("You want me to ship you a differential... right..."). The best part was, his name kept changing, and the last names were variations on "Legit". That made me laugh.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
5/27/08 12:32 p.m.

I found an ad on the local Craigslist yesterday where a scammer was trying to sell a new BMW 335i for $5k. He was saying it had belonged to his son who was killed in action in Iraq :evil: so I reported him.

He used the name of a real soldier who had been killed (I looked it up) which really frosted me, considering the ad was posted on Memorial Day. Oddly, he posted the same ad on the Rio de Janeiro Craigslist.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/27/08 3:05 p.m.

or the offers for 1/3 to 1/2 price on reasonably priced items. No thanks. I "e-laughed" in his face. :grin:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/27/08 3:21 p.m.

I've actually had good luck putting "Scammers don't bother" in the body of the ad.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/27/08 4:51 p.m.

that's pretty funny actually.

Them: Wanna let me scam you? Me: No thanks, not looking for scams today, maybe next time. Them: Ok, let me know then. Me: Sure thing.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
5/28/08 2:57 a.m.

I should put something like "Scammers don't bother" into my CL ad for the R-comps I'm trying to sell. I've had two scammers and a sketchy, borderline inquiry so far. Not cool. I made sure to post the ad with a free online e-mail account separate from my personal e-mail so I won't have any personal information stolen.

cwh
cwh New Reader
5/28/08 7:26 a.m.

Got an interesting job offer this morning from a British spice company. They want me to accept payments for them, keep 10%, and send them the balence. Suuurree.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 10:14 a.m.

How's this for a second reply from someone, it's quite a detailed list of why he wants to lowball :omg::

1=FORECLOSURES UP 400-1000% 2=Job Growth is NEGATIVE. 3=HOME SALES DOWN 30-80% 4=HOME+CONSUMER LOANS CREDIT CARDS AUTO BONDS & BANKS DEFAULTING! 5=Gasoline at $4+ going to $5/gallon by Summer 2008! 6=Car/Suv/truck sales DOWN 15-55% GM=down 29% & FORD=down19% 7=CAR DEALERS loosing $5 million a month! 8=GM LOST $39 BILLION! 9=70-90% of Home Owners from 2004-2007 are UP-SIDE-DOWN=NO EQUITY! 10=HOME OWNERS LOOSING 10% IN CASH PAYMENTS, INSURANCE, TAX, MAINTENANCE! 11=HOME OWNERS Loosing 10-30% a year in "DEPRECIATION" 12=CAR VALUES DROPPING LIKE Home values going down! 13=Economic Facts available at ..... 14=http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2007/12/cdo 15=Buffett sees "long, deep" U.S. recession May 24, 7:30 AM ET 16=Based on the BAD ECONOMIC FACTS ABOVE, WILL YOU PLEASE CONSIDER $200

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 12:56 p.m.

I'm trying to sell a GTX, and I hooked a good one. He was promising me payment, and after nearly a month it showed up.

• $4250 in US Postal Money Orders for a $900 car
  • mailed from Benin
  • with his address on the money order
  • the address is a church in Atlanta
  • the money orders are dated before his first email to me
  • the money orders are counterfeit according to the security features detailed on the back of the money orders
  • there was a note in the envelope from "an attorney" who named his client, who is not the guy I've been dealing with

It's like he had a checklist of how to identify himself as a scammer. He hasn't given me instructions on what to do yet, but I think I know what's coming :)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/08 12:59 p.m.
Nomad wrote: How's this for a second reply from someone, it's quite a detailed list of why he wants to lowball :omg:: 1=FORECLOSURES UP 400-1000% 2=Job Growth is NEGATIVE. 3=HOME SALES DOWN 30-80% 4=HOME+CONSUMER LOANS CREDIT CARDS AUTO BONDS & BANKS DEFAULTING! 5=Gasoline at $4+ going to $5/gallon by Summer 2008! 6=Car/Suv/truck sales DOWN 15-55% GM=down 29% & FORD=down19% 7=CAR DEALERS loosing $5 million a month! 8=GM LOST $39 BILLION! 9=70-90% of Home Owners from 2004-2007 are UP-SIDE-DOWN=NO EQUITY! 10=HOME OWNERS LOOSING 10% IN CASH PAYMENTS, INSURANCE, TAX, MAINTENANCE! 11=HOME OWNERS Loosing 10-30% a year in "DEPRECIATION" 12=CAR VALUES DROPPING LIKE Home values going down! 13=Economic Facts available at ..... 14=http://www.portfolio.com/interactive-features/2007/12/cdo 15=Buffett sees "long, deep" U.S. recession May 24, 7:30 AM ET 16=Based on the BAD ECONOMIC FACTS ABOVE, WILL YOU PLEASE CONSIDER $200

They look like reasons you to need to make as much cash as possible from this sale

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 2:41 p.m.

yep.

So now it's gotten to the point where I'm going to start screwing with the super lowballers. I list at $300 and they send an email like "$90 cash and I'll pick them up right now!"

Oh wow, really? What a deal! I was about to take a postdated counterfeit check but $90 CASH sounds great! Can I get a reach-around?

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 2:44 p.m.
Wally wrote: They look like reasons you to need to make as much cash as possible from this sale

I replied: 17= Based on the spam email you sent and your inability to ask like a normal person will you please consider berkelying off.

Keith
5/28/08 6:12 p.m.

I've been getting a bunch of emails that basically say "what is your selling price?". Of course, it's $900 as shown in the ad. But if they ask and they have that cut-and-paste email style, I answer $10,000. I'm going to make a collection of $10,000 checks.

Keith
5/28/08 6:31 p.m.

One just bit! I told him the price was raised from $900 to $10000, and he said that was fine. So I gave him the address and phone number for the White House - I think they need the money more than I.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/28/08 7:25 p.m.

did you tell him to address it to "Mr Busch"?

Even better, you should have sent it to someone's presidential campaign fund. Bet they'd deposit them right away.

Keith
5/28/08 10:47 p.m.

I'll do that next time. He's going to send me - sorry, George W - $23,456 Cdn. See, the finance company can't split it up because of taxes. It's quite sad really. I'm happy to help him.

Next time I'll have him send it to Hillary.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DtC7PugEyyeFY1XKrYbt1L45Xfd13XdclXVOBWB7VVGxvV3r38IQacrhUAB8DXmx