slefain
slefain UltraDork
1/27/14 3:05 p.m.

Last night I spent maybe 45 minutes disassembling my dishwasher and cleaning out seven years of food bits. It was pretty easy really and I was shocked by how much nasty food gunk was in the pump system. I just Googled my dishwasher name and found a nice writeup about how to pull apart the pump screen and other wash rack piping. It all just snapped together or was just a few Torx head screws. Ran a load of dishes last night and the difference was insane at how much better it cleaned.

In typical gearhead fashion the whole project started by me just wiping down the door seal before doing the dishes and devolved from there. When my wife found me I had the washer pump sitting on the kitchen counter.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/27/14 3:13 p.m.

Project creep, eh? The most dangerous phrase is "while i'm in there, I might as well..."

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/27/14 3:20 p.m.

I need to do this with mine, but i can't find a write-up because it's some low-rent piece of E36 M3 made by GE specifically for rental properties.

Yay.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/14 3:21 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Project creep, eh? The most dangerous phrase is "while i'm in there, I might as well..."

Quoted for truth!

The Samurai has been on jack stands for 2 weeks because of that and I just ordered another $200 in bearings and seals.

What started as changing the axle gear ratios has turned into new bearings, seals, springs, u-joints, transfer case, tires...it might never stop.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/27/14 3:22 p.m.

try this:

it works quite well

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/27/14 4:52 p.m.

^^

+1

Now that you have it cleaned out, use this stuff for maintenance. It does work well.

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
1/27/14 5:19 p.m.

Active stuff 25% Other stuff 75% Total 100%

What a fantastic label.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/14 5:53 p.m.

Mine is self cleaning and she took a shower this morning so I’m good.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/14 6:05 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Mine is self cleaning and she took a shower this morning so I’m good.

I seriously thought about posting something like that. Then I remembered my wife reads this forum on occasion.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/27/14 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Same here. My wife regularly checks the hotlink thread for a quick laugh.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
1/27/14 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Mine checks to see what new project I'm going to be obsessing over so she knows how to accurately defeat my plans

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/27/14 8:21 p.m.

I started with a new door seal, then I repaired the broken latch mechanism on the door, and replaced the silverware basket. My dishwasher in my new to me house is pretty old and has seen better days. Removing the inside door panel revealed a lot of icky stuff that had built up over the past 15 years. I spent a lot of time in that thing all the while wishing I had just gone to Lowes and picked out a shiny new one. Once you have a good set of diagrams and schematics it's not too hard to repair or replace things in there.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
1/27/14 9:47 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Mine is self cleaning and she took a shower this morning so I’m good.

mine even made cookies!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/27/14 10:24 p.m.

I rinse everything off the plates before putting into the dishwasher. Only takes a second and gets a better result. Theoretically there won't be anything clogging up the works.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/14 7:32 a.m.

I like to clean mine too.. but when we are done, we both need to take a shower

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
1/28/14 7:37 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I rinse everything off the plates before putting into the dishwasher. Only takes a second and gets a better result. Theoretically there won't be anything clogging up the works.

Golden Retrievers work well too.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/28/14 7:42 a.m.

My dishwasher doesn't work very well. It leaves residue all over everything, so my wife started hand-washing the dishes.

She told me one day that she needed a drying rack. I then opened the dish washer and pointed at the racks. We lived happily ever after.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
1/28/14 7:43 a.m.

Just use this stuff. Empty dishwasher, place on bottom shelf, turn the heat all the way up. Boom, clean as new.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZBEO6bQprE0XknR3QmZDP4z4BQulpaW0J0ZZntve1f6Pll2sWdAx28KQIuqqUmbx