cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
5/23/19 8:41 a.m.

New house is all solid surface floors, no carpet. About 2/3 of the finished space is hard wood from 1970.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a powered cleaning gizmo that does some amount of scrubbing with or without water/cleaning solution?

I've done some looking online, but when I get to the reviews, I don't see anything that makes me think "This will be worth spending money on."

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/19 8:43 a.m.

I use my steam cleaner with the microfiber mop attachment on my hardwood floors. No scrubbing action but a quick pass with it seems to leave them clean. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
5/23/19 9:58 a.m.

Steam mop. We have one of those Shark ones with the bottle of hardwood floor cleaner. Cleans up pretty well after a 2 year old, 5 year old, and a dog.

If you want something automated Mint from iRobot.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/23/19 10:00 a.m.

We just use a Swiffer WetJet on our floors. Entire house other than stairs are wood.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/23/19 12:16 p.m.

Old timey wax, or modern urethane?  I think that makes a big difference.

cghstang_chris
cghstang_chris Dork
5/23/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Yes, It does make a difference. I don't know for sure yet but I'm gonna say its most likely not wax or oil.

I'll test a couple spots before I pull the trigger on a steam mop.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/19 12:58 p.m.

If it's 1970, it is most likely polyurethane.  Up through the mid-50s (regionally dependent) you could expect shellac.  50s-70s, likely varnish.  Starting in the late 60s, Poly became the norm.  Easy way to check on an inconspicuous area.  Put a drop of nail polish remover (the good stuff with acetone) on the floor.  Wait 5 minutes.  If it bubbles up, comes off with your finger, or is otherwise super soft, it's shellac.  I wouldn't steam shellac.  Varnish or poly will do steam just fine.

I use a microfiber mop with a sprayer on it.  I fill the sprayer with water and a wee bit of vinegar.  Not sure why, other than it's what I've always done.  It doesn't disinfect, and it's not a surfactant, but at least it doesn't leave streaks.  Also makes your house smell like a salad.

Steam for me would likely be overkill.  I'm not a germaphobe, but it would loosen up nastier dirt.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/19 1:00 p.m.

Mine is like this, but it comes with a generic, fill-yourself bottle.  $20 at target.

Image result for microfiber spray mop target

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/21 2:03 p.m.

I wonder if those cleaning robots work on canoes too. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/9/21 7:25 a.m.

The canoes are talking to each other. It's a canoe convention! A canoevention if you will.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/9/21 9:58 a.m.
dculberson said:

The canoes are talking to each other. It's a canoe convention! A canoevention if you will.

Canoecopia

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7SmM2khndWKH7UJSjSjVWpGNtusEJlDeO5B1ZIPtPtNcUpTS7s87ghutsAGtafoR