RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/19 8:11 a.m.

So after spilling almost as much gas as I actually got into the tank on the wood chipper this weekend, I dug out some of my old vented cans because I NEVER ONCE had that problem with the "non safety" cans.

Problem is, they've been in storage for years. Like 10-15+ years, with mixed gas in them.

There is still liquid inside, which I can use on the fire pit, but should I or could I do anything to clean them out to be able to use them with regular gas again?

Also, who do I need to bribe, blow, or kill to be allowed to purchase regular vented cans that don't dump fuel all over the place? What little escapes the vents through the years is nothing compared to the amounts dumped all over everything trying to use these stupid berkeleying "safety" cans that result in everything being flammable for a while?

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/17/19 8:22 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'd just put new gas in them, soak/swirl it around a bit, and firepit whatever comes out.

You can also get "water spout" replacement kits to retrofit the new cans. I know tractor supply and Amazon sell them.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/17/19 9:07 a.m.

I had a jug of diesel spill in my trunk. The trunk pad soaked up most of it.  After removing the pad and spare tire I cleaned the trunk and then power washed the pad. It took me two cleanings to get rid of the diesel smell and even after there was just a hint each time I opened the trunk. It did go away after a few weeks.

I think that you will have to remove the carpet and pad if the gas got into it or you will have that "odor" each time you get in the van.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/17/19 9:26 a.m.

Look inside the can with a flashlight.  If there's rust or sediment that needs to be cleaned out, but any varnish left on the walls shouldn't be an issue - the new gas will dissolve it but it will be such a small percentage it won't affect anything.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 10:06 a.m.
chaparral
chaparral Dork
4/17/19 10:32 a.m.

You can buy a Scribner "utility jug", but I'd advise you to buy one of the EPA-compliant jugs, because modern gasoline is so bad that it can't be left for a week in an old-style jug. So much butane will be lost to evaporation that cold-starting will require ether.

RevRico
4/17/19 4:43 p.m.

Ok, I just wanted someone to agree with my idea of swishing them out with some new gas before fill up.

I've not had any luck with the replacement nozzles either. Have been heavily considering just drilling a vent hole in my one big can though. I don't usually keep gas on hand since I decided it was easier to make someone else mow the yard, but when I do need it, it sucks losing a third of my purchase all over my clothes/hands/tools. 

Still convinced whatever scumberkeley decided these new cans are "safer" never actually tried to use them.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/17/19 6:27 p.m.

I knew I had previously written expressing my love for my Sunoco Utility Jug.  Here is that thread:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/what-is-the-current-state-of-the-fuel-jug-market/141232/page1/ 

daeman
daeman Dork
4/17/19 6:52 p.m.

Do away with nozzles and use a funnel? 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 7:58 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

They are "safer" for the environment since there aren't any vents that allow the fumes to escape to atmosphere.  Just like the fume collection hoods they added to the gas pumps.

You're right though, they are useless for actually pouring gasoline without spilling it everywhere and allowing gas fumes to escape into the air.  I'm sure with a funnel you "could" actually get it poured decently, but that's a bunch of farting around for something that should be fairly simple.

I would look at adding a vent to opposite end of the handle/nozzle (a small valve or bolt threaded into the plastic should be sufficient).

The jugs that John posted are really a great solution to the issue, but they do tend to be a bit large for keeping a few lawn devices fueled.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 8:55 p.m.

For cleaning, slosh some gas around in the cans and dump it on the burn pile.

I bought three of these. They work very well. 

RevRico
4/17/19 9:18 p.m.

Thanks to that thread John linked I've been checking out utility jugs now. Sunoco labeled ones are $40 still on Amazon and shouldn't cause issues filling up.

I forgot I have the 2 quads, the 2.5 gallon can I started this thread about won't last real long with both the quads running, so I guess I will be making the jump.

corolla2tcte27
corolla2tcte27 New Reader
4/20/19 3:56 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

www.ezpourspout.com

TJL
TJL Reader
4/20/19 7:15 a.m.

I fortunately have a nice stock of the older blitz cans that have flexy nozzles and vents. I have some new ones too and oh yeah they suck. I guess is “safer” to have gas sloshing out and spilling. And it sure is fun standing there for 5 minutes while pouting the can out. 

We had the metal safety cans at work. They got thrown in the dumpster. It was IMPOSSIBLE to pour them and not spill gas everywhere. You also had to hold the vent open with one hand while supporting the can with the other hand and using your imaginary 3rd hand to keep the spout right. Perfect example of someone coming up with “great” ideas but having no clue what they are doing. 

I got some cheap flexy nozzles from ebay and some drill and pop in vent caps for my newer “safe” cans. Havent gotten around to trying them out yet. 

Ive gotten a few nice older cans from the garbage. People set them out next to their cans, i happily scoop them up. 

If it looks like a hurricane is coming i’ll take a few trips to the gas station and fill most of the 5 gallon cans i have. Its enough to run the generator for over a week. After last storm i had enough gas to share some. 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/19 7:16 a.m.

Go to your closest Rural King.  I know there are a few in western PA (I stop at the one in Clearfield when I am passing by on 80 because its such a great store and Im a sucker for free popcorn).  They have the utility jugs for 20 bucks.  I have 4 of them.  They come in clear or red.  

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/21/19 11:10 p.m.

Don't even worry about "cleaning" it.  The bad gas in there isn't like bacteria or alien DNA, it's just a volatile liquid that the most aromatic compounds have evaporated.  It doesn't turn into death juice, just a non-viable fuel.

I have a 1-gallon can of fuel that I found in the back of the garage that I know hasn't seen the light of day since 2013.  I didn't dump it on the burn pile, I mixed it into a 5-gallon can of fresh gas and a healthy dose of Sta-bil.  I used it in my lawn equipment.  I have also done a similar thing with old gas in less-sensitive vehicles.  (meaning: not a brand new BMW, but a 1991 Toyota or a 1976 Ford).  At least the car is up to the task of properly burning it instead of plumes of black smoke "just to get rid of it."

Find a use for the liquid in there, refill with new, done.  No need to clean out anything horrible.  There is nothing horrible about it.  It's as if you dropped a grain of salt in your drinking water.  Dump it out and refill.  You'll never taste it.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/21/19 11:25 p.m.

There are two suggestions I have for gas cans.  I detest the old school "fill it til you spill it" vented systems.  Half the time you would overfill and spill gas everywhere.  By the time you noticed it was getting full and starting lowering the can it was too late.  Also, try filling something from a full gas can when it's vented.

First style I love and use is this one below.  You grip the handle and a spring-loaded flap valve and dump.  Lovely, bulletproof setup.  You will spill a bit, but it is the pro thing to do.

Image result for gas can nozzle types

Second style I love and use is below.  Most of them come with a little tab that you have to release before opening the valve, but that is easily solved with a pair of side cutters.   These have the ultimate control.  Your thumb is an instant stop to the fuel flow.  One hand, zero worries, ultimate control.

Image result for gas can nozzle lever

The ones I WISHED would work well are the plunger style like below.  You put them in, the valve opens, the fuel flows until it's full and shuts itself off.  Problem is, the o-rings get sticky and half the time you pull it out expecting the valve to shut itself off only to find it is stuck open and has just doused your lawn, your tractor, your paint, or your deck with gasoline.

Image result for gas can nozzle types

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CyXwB4sNkpD89wZLeFOiQQWWvuoPdjrNEWjAN1nA0fZcnQIOp3GpLrPXshVZrrJR