1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/18 3:00 p.m.

Anyone else have this? My brother had one. Hours of fun thanks to some magic markers and pieces of aluminum foil. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/18 3:03 p.m.

Never heard of such a thing, I would have spent hours with that thing!  In fact, I want one now! 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/19/18 3:08 p.m.

You can own one too

ebay  linky surprise

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/19/18 3:10 p.m.

Lord, I always wanted one but never got it. I used to steal my mom's tinfoil and mold it over my hot wheels in a sad attempt to have the same fun.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/19/18 3:11 p.m.

I never heard of those, but when I was about 6 my father mashed a bunch of my Hotwheels flat with a hammer because he got angry at me for playing "Multivehicular Car Crash" all the time.

David S. Wallens
2/19/18 3:25 p.m.
fasted58 said:

You can own one too

ebay  linky surprise

Dang, and that one's missing part of the van mold. Still, it's good for minutes of fun. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/19/18 3:33 p.m.

i'd never heard of that but my brother and I had a similar toy, used the same foil car idea but was a monster truck toy so you could actually crush the cars when the monster truck ran over them.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/18 3:41 p.m.

I used to mold foil over my Hotwheels and Matchbox cars and put a little silly putty under them for "engine blocks" and "suspensions" (so they wouldn't crush completely flat) and crush them with my Monster Trucks. I would have loved that toy!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/19/18 3:52 p.m.
Duke said:

I never heard of those, but when I was about 6 my father mashed a bunch of my Hotwheels flat with a hammer because he got angry at me for playing "Multivehicular Car Crash" all the time.

Dads don't always make sense.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/19/18 4:05 p.m.

all i ever did was steal all my parents sharpies & give my hotwheels "custom paint jobs" 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/19/18 4:54 p.m.

I would make tinfoil cars and smash them with my Lionel train. Was awesome. Even the sparks that shot out when the foil would arch  the positive and negative rails was awesome.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/19/18 5:46 p.m.

I just found out what I'm doing with my tax return. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/19/18 6:03 p.m.
MazdaFace said:

all i ever did was steal all my parents sharpies & give my hotwheels "custom paint jobs" 

Me too. And they were all black. Because Bandit.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/18 6:09 p.m.

I had one of those... From the same era, I'm bummed I can't find a link, but it's reminding me of the only distantly related by being a car toy custom van pencil-rubbing thing... Three or four interchangeable plates that went in a frame so you could choose different front, middle, and rear pieces, with and without... wings, bubble windows, murals, flames... Must have been nineteen seventy something. cheeky

And now I've got pangs for my first R/C car (a Hornet) again. You guys are so distracting! That thing was terrible compared to cars I got later, and I need to focus on this perfectly good actual real car project!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/18 7:50 p.m.
Ransom said:

And now I've got pangs for my first R/C car (a Hornet) again. You guys are so distracting! That thing was terrible compared to cars I got later, and I need to focus on this perfectly good actual real car project!

Hornet? I had a Grasshopper and built it up to Hornet specs!

I did the tin foil and monster truck toy thing too. Thought I was so creative at the time..

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
2/19/18 9:38 p.m.
Ransom said:

I had one of those... From the same era, I'm bummed I can't find a link, but it's reminding me of the only distantly related by being a car toy custom van pencil-rubbing thing... Three or four interchangeable plates that went in a frame so you could choose different front, middle, and rear pieces, with and without... wings, bubble windows, murals, flames... Must have been nineteen seventy something. cheeky

I had that Van rubbing thing too. Because 70's

Claff
Claff Reader
2/19/18 9:53 p.m.
Duke said:

What does around comes around. When I was a kid I took my dad's old Matchbox cars, lined them up next to each other on the basement floor, and flattened them all one by one with a croquet mallet.

As for the car crusher, I remember the commercial. Put it on my Christmas list but Santa never got it for me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 7:41 a.m.

You know, it would be real easy to 3D-print your own molds these days...

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
2/20/18 8:26 a.m.

I don't remember the crusher toy.  But I'm pretty sure I had a knock-off version of some of these:

David S. Wallens
2/20/18 8:45 a.m.
Ransom said:

OMG, I had that van thing, too. Totally forgot about it until you said something. Yeah, you could make up the most shag-tastic van. 

This is semi-related. When my parents moved out of the house that I grew up in, they boxed up most of my stuff and shipped it to me. They didn't save the Tonkas because they were so big and heavy, but they saved a lot. All these years later, and those boxes are still taped shut and in storage. 

Who knows what's in there....

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/20/18 9:17 a.m.
paranoid_android said:

I don't remember the crusher toy.  But I'm pretty sure I had a knock-off version of some of these:

haha my had a few of these too as a hand-me-down from my brother. totally forgot about them

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Dear god, man how can you stand it? When you do, we need pics. Trust me, it's better than Christmas or your birthday. 

David S. Wallens
2/20/18 9:40 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Dear god, man how can you stand it? When you do, we need pics. Trust me, it's better than Christmas or your birthday. 

Yeah, I know. Figure my parents moved out of that house 20 years ago. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/20/18 9:48 a.m.

I think this must have been after my Matchbox and Hot Wheels days.

If I'd have had this, maybe more of them would have survived.

The poor Tonka trucks would get towed behind our bicycles. We would ride towards each other, chicken style, and turn at the last minute attempting to get the trucks to hit head on. We probably had about a 10% success rate, but thr trucks took a beating none the less.

I don't remember the Hot Wheels crack ups at all, but Kenner had an SSP set that had dented body panels that would pop off if you hit a lever under the front bumper. We never did get them to hit in mid air off the ramp like on TV, but I could get them to hit the basement wall every time.

Image result for kenner ssp smash up derby

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/18 9:55 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:
Ransom said:

Hornet? I had a Grasshopper and built it up to Hornet specs!

I did the tin foil and monster truck toy thing too. Thought I was so creative at the time..

I had a Frog (actually the lesser Brat version).  I still have it, although I haven't used it in ages.

I do remember the car-crusher toy.  Also wanted it.  Also used tin foil over my cars to duplicate it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dW9rYZSdCJjowWGauzaMx2NtgdwIjPpJK3AEI3riPOR4bTcyMQi2WtC6kkkQ3tVo