1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/20/18 10:00 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

My parents moved around too much to keep any of my childhood stuff. If I didn't take it with me when I moved out, it was gone. It always blows my mind when friends - who have all been adults for decades - refer to stuff they have at their parent's house. So weird.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/18 10:00 a.m.

Oh man... We're going to need a time capsule opening ceremony video. Please.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/20/18 10:02 a.m.
dculberson said:

My parents moved around too much to keep any of my childhood stuff. If I didn't take it with me when I moved out, it was gone. It always blows my mind when friends - who have all been adults for decades - refer to stuff they have at their parent's house. So weird.

My brother and I lived in the same house from birth until our high school graduations, so I guess we created quite the time capsule. Plus I also have all of my dad's old car magazines. Those we finally unpacked and put on shelves. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/18 10:06 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I moved around a ton as a kid and hauled crap everywhere. Hell, I still have stuff brought back from Okinawa in 1975...  I come from a line of pack-rat/clutter-bugs... I still have my mother's college art text books.  I don't know why...  While I did give away a lot of my childhood toys (oh how I wsh I'd kept the Star Wars and GI Joe stuff), I still have a lot of my childhood toys. Much of it nearly worthless.  A pending task is to start putting stuff on eBay with $1 starting bids, just to be rid of it..

David S. Wallens
2/20/18 10:10 a.m.

Not everything is in boxes, I should add. There is a giant Darth Vader head in the closet. And an AFX set, still in its original box. Here's a pic of it. How cool that it has a BRE car on the cover, too?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 10:14 a.m.
SaltyDog said:

I think this must have been after my Matchbox and Hot Wheels days.

If I'd have had this, maybe more of them would have survived.

The poor Tonka trucks would get towed behind our bicycles. We would ride towards each other, chicken style, and turn at the last minute attempting to get the trucks to hit head on. We probably had about a 10% success rate, but thr trucks took a beating none the less.

I don't remember the Hot Wheels crack ups at all, but Kenner had an SSP set that had dented body panels that would pop off if you hit a lever under the front bumper. We never did get them to hit in mid air off the ramp like on TV, but I could get them to hit the basement wall every time.

Image result for kenner ssp smash up derby

I had a set of those as a kid. Great fun.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 10:30 a.m.

I had one of these...

Evil never did wheelies and stuff, he’d just get drunk and trash my bedroom while mumbling obscenities…good times, good times.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/20/18 10:46 a.m.

I  had a Tyco rc wild thing "bandit". I found a bnib one on eBay last night. 180$. Super cool, said it was the worlds fastest rc car,  but I believe my pile of junk traxxas is a wee bit faster for the same price. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/20/18 10:50 a.m.

Ah, this is the other one that always springs to mind... The Power Shifters Quick Change Machine.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/20/18 12:17 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
SaltyDog said:

I think this must have been after my Matchbox and Hot Wheels days.

If I'd have had this, maybe more of them would have survived.

The poor Tonka trucks would get towed behind our bicycles. We would ride towards each other, chicken style, and turn at the last minute attempting to get the trucks to hit head on. We probably had about a 10% success rate, but thr trucks took a beating none the less.

I don't remember the Hot Wheels crack ups at all, but Kenner had an SSP set that had dented body panels that would pop off if you hit a lever under the front bumper. We never did get them to hit in mid air off the ramp like on TV, but I could get them to hit the basement wall every time.

Image result for kenner ssp smash up derby

I had a set of those as a kid. Great fun.

Oh wow... I remember those... I seem to remember getting a set, but being way too young for them and destroying the cars rather quickly. My father was great for buying presents that looked great to him but were probably meant for an age group or three ahead of where I was at the time. I destroyed A LOT of toys... although I'm sure we all did.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/18 2:47 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I hate you.cheeky

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/18 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/20/18 6:40 p.m.

SSP cars?  

Its a bad idea to get the black rubber tire spinning really fast and put it near your annoying older sisters Marsha Brady hair.  

Ask me how I know.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/18 7:13 p.m.

I did that with Tonka's STOMPERS. The incredibly low gearing will wind up your hair-tight! Or your brother's hair. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
2/20/18 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

those tires were also great for leaving black streaks on the linoleum on the basement floor too! Don't think I ever got my sister's hair with one. She'd a whooped me!

The Stompers came out when I was probably in my early 20's. My buddies and I added weights to them, additional batteries, cut the lugs down on the tires and anything else we could think of. Had those little things pulling a couple pounds on a home made sled. Then we started stripping the gears in them.

I put a 9v battery in a Bronco bodied Stomper. Not much torque, but fast as hell. For a little while.  

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
2/20/18 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Stompers were one of my favorites.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/18 10:18 p.m.

When they came out with the amphibious ones, you'd thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/21/18 5:50 p.m.

Never had a car crusher.   I just strapped model rocket engines to my hot wheels.

David S. Wallens
2/22/18 8:05 p.m.

Wow, I forgot about Stompers. I had this one. Guess I was into wagons even back then.

Thanks for the memories. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/22/18 9:47 p.m.

Ha! I was dead on balls on the price in a discussion the other day. Pretty sure I got mine at K-Mart as well.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/23/18 7:00 a.m.

Loved stompers. I thought about them the other day for the first time in years while working on my Jeep. It made me smile.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/23/18 7:49 a.m.

This is sitting in my office right now:

It was called "Crash n Bash" and I loved it. The body parts pop off. The trucks go forward and turn in reverse. I need to take apart the trucks and give the motors a little attention.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/23/18 7:50 a.m.

Meanwhile in my box of Tinker Toys...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/23/18 7:55 a.m.

Oh, and this is on the shelf in my office:

Apparently I took very good care of my toys. I have a LOT of my old toys that have been passed down to my kids. It also helps that my parents never moved, so I was able to squirrel away stuff in the attic.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/18 9:13 a.m.
SaltyDog said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

those tires were also great for leaving black streaks on the linoleum on the basement floor too! Don't think I ever got my sister's hair with one. She'd a whooped me!

The Stompers came out when I was probably in my early 20's. My buddies and I added weights to them, additional batteries, cut the lugs down on the tires and anything else we could think of. Had those little things pulling a couple pounds on a home made sled. Then we started stripping the gears in them.

I put a 9v battery in a Bronco bodied Stomper. Not much torque, but fast as hell. For a little while.  

When I was about 12, we moved to a farmhouse rural Maryland.  Dad built a big garage / barn / shop out behind the house, maybe 50 yards away.  He trenched and buried a couple runs of 4" PVC conduit from the basement of the house to the basement of the shop.

When time came to pull wires, he was at a loss.  I taped one end of a ball of twine to a Stomper truck with a fresh battery, added some ballast for traction, and set in loose in one end of the tunnel.  Then I went to the other end to wait.  I could hear it chugging away in there.  About 10 minutes later, I could see a glimmer from the headlights.  About 3 minutes after that, it appeared, towing 50 yards of pull string behind it.  Did that for each conduit run.

I also had those demo derby SSPs, among some others.  My buddy had Evel.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uaNNk4dFwPkCXWEWo7R61VBO2SzbAYXM1AkfoZ31RDnLkAQuS4RVZ64KlRQCirNn