ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
6/26/14 2:32 p.m.

This thread from 2014

I have been trying for about 3 years now to pay for some college courses and I never can seem to get the money to pay for them. I dont want to take out student loans and I know I make less then $15,000 a year. I have taken some college classes though the local college here and there from 2002 though 2008 and always paid cash for a class here and there. Never really sat down and focused on a degree classes. Just took classes that might have some use at the time and not always credit classes. I have been looking at a new online college called Sports Managment Worldwide. I have been looking though there site for a few years know and the racing progam alone would be worth taking which I have been wanting to take along with meybe a couple of other 8 week courses they offer. Does anyone know any scorlerships that I might be able to get or pell grants or anything to help pay for getting something to really get a hell of a lot better paying job then the dead end stuff I have been in most of my life. And the other thing is it sucks when you just get let go from your last job this past month. Thanks for any help guys.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/14 3:02 p.m.

Sounds like you are in a similar craphole to myself...so I'll watch what others post in this thread.

(Should I dry my hands now, so I can get a good grip on my bootstraps? )

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/26/14 3:03 p.m.

Sounds like you'd qualify for federal assistance. You apply for it here: http://www.nafsa.org/

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/14 4:03 p.m.

yup. Fill out a FAFSA. They'll send you a receipt with how much "grant"money you qualify for and how much in loan $$$ you can have. Take the grants, leave the loans and profit!

Best of luck to ya.

Quick side note:

Your college financial aid office may have a "General scholarship application form" that would place you in the running for multiple scholarship opportunities. I filled one out but never heard anything from it, but your mileage may vary.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/26/14 5:03 p.m.

Just get the loans. The longer you wait to graduate the more you are hurting your earning potential. Got my MBA in 2008-2009. Salary has increased over 100% in that time. Had i not taken the loans, I would probably have cost myself $2M+ over total career...

I owe about $80K, between my wife and I. (Two Bachelor degree's and 3 Masters..) Man that's a lot of money.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/26/14 5:14 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: I have been looking at a new online college called Sports Managment Worldwide. I have been looking though there site for a few years know and the racing progam alone would be worth taking which I have been wanting to take along with meybe a couple of other 8 week courses they offer.

Is this a properly accredited school? That might affect grants etc if it isn't.

If I were you I'd try to research how they are looked at in the job market (not only in their marketing material) before plonking down any money.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/26/14 5:18 p.m.

I work in admissions, are you pursuing a certain degree? What state are you located in? There are federal, state, & private grants. I have a PowerPoint but it is more relevant to my school at PA.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
6/27/14 5:10 p.m.

Wisconsin. And thanks for the advice guys.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/5/19 7:36 a.m.

College loan spam deleted

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/22/20 2:53 p.m.

Talk about conue......and span.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AUj6ZbNzx3WgM0IXwSmtFw0F13ihqEVRsLQY95gy34BD7N2aERiVbHHjGAzEyz2k